Colour blind players

simonhpieman

Star Player
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53986570

Great article showing what it's like to be colour blind. Two of our former players, Nick Bignall (who was utter bum) and Matty Holland (who did alright by all accounts) are mentioned.

Makes you wonder, if a usually excellent player of ours has an absolutely apalling game and barely finds a pass to a teammate, could it be due to kit clashing?

The point that players would avoid making it known they were colour blind so as not to affect their career prospects is something I've never thought about before but if 1/12 is colour blind then we must have at least a couple of players affected.

interesting stuff. Colour perception can be learned and is actually quite personal. While I’m not colour blind as such an eye test when I was young threw up a difference in red/green perception that would likely have prevented me from joining the forces, for example. But how do I know I see colours differently from someone else until Im told?

as you say is pretty common men. some kits are definitely worse than others for standing out.

this is a bit of an eye-opener on a similar vien

https://www.greecehighdefinition.co...greeks-could-not-see-blue-until-modern-times-

interesting stuff. Colour perception can be learned and is actually quite personal. While I’m not colour blind as such an eye test when I was young threw up a difference in red/green perception that would likely have prevented me from joining the forces, for example. But how do I know I see colours differently from someone else until Im told?

as you say is pretty common men. some kits are definitely worse than others for standing out.

this is a bit of an eye-opener on a similar vien

https://www.greecehighdefinition.co...greeks-could-not-see-blue-until-modern-times-

Having taken the test on many occasions, in the main due to GPs not believing me even though I was diagnosed 63 years ago, I am coloured blind.

I lost a couple of job opportunities, for example at a plane factory in Hadfield - Hawker Siddley, I think, because of this failing.

Now this is where it gets complicated.

This does NOT mean I can't see colours. In my case, and this is not always so, I SOMETIMES have difficulty distinguishing between red, brown and green.

To complicate it even more I sometimes fail to distinguish between some shades of other colours, this may well be that I was never taught (or learnt) colours when I was young, due to my diagnosis.

If you ask me what a colour is, and this has often been the case, I will often get it right,

Yellow, blue, some reds, green grass, silver, gold, white, black - no problems,

But brown, some green, some red, shades such as turquoise, maroon, purple, faun, khaki. I can see them but may not see the same as you would and would not KNOW what colour it is.

The thing to remember, and a lot of people do not understand this, I DO NOT see in black and white (and often know that the blue is behind the pink - old black and white snooker joke)

Hope this helps

Didn't read the article but very interesting.i could never play with a yellow ball, or under lights.

Also colourblind myself.

This is a really fascinating idea.
In theory, clubs ought to be strategic on this and do careful testing of their own players. This could guide colour selection, particularly with the often-weird 3rd kits (I can recall a match 3 or so years ago when Liverpool had these fluorescent kits and one of their players inadvertently passed to the linesman).
For example, if you have a guy who's red-green colour blind, then don't pick green for your third kit.

How about the time manure played at the Dell wearing grey shirts but changed strip at ht as they said that they couldn't pick out their own teammates,the shirts just blended Into the background.

that's why patterns in kits are so important

Surely even if you are colour blind you should recognise your own team mates? They spend enough time together after all.
If you read the article above, a former player says it wasn't that he couldn't recognize teammates, but it would take a split second longer to make the decision on where to pass.

This is a really fascinating idea.
In theory, clubs ought to be strategic on this and do careful testing of their own players. This could guide colour selection, particularly with the often-weird 3rd kits (I can recall a match 3 or so years ago when Liverpool had these fluorescent kits and one of their players inadvertently passed to the linesman).
For example, if you have a guy who's red-green colour blind, then don't pick green for your third kit.

For me, as someone who is colour blind, the choice of kits should be such that they can be instantly distinguished, I’m talking White or
Mid Blue , Yellow, so there can be no doubt. Obviously, every team has its own strip and, of course they will wear it for their home games, what I’m saying is the away team should have a contrast, the ref should be enforcing this, not some sponsor.
As well the authorities need to look at colour shades that are close, all red strips V. all mid Green always gives me trouble.

If you read the article above, a former player says it wasn't that he couldn't recognize teammates, but it would take a split second longer to make the decision on where to pass.
I agree with you. If a player’s going to be playing the kind of quick first time ball that AFCB wants to play then its half instinct. If you’re seeing colour and movement where the coaching tells you a player should be then you play the ball?

;