Conclusions v Palace

kirsikka

UTC Legend
This is hard as the whole game felt so low key I've no idea where to place things since it almost felt like neither team seemed to be playing it like a competitive match. I'll take the performances at face value but I think it's a stretch to read to much into them in comparison to a league match.

First up, we looked decent. By far the better team although their 10 (?) changes made them look incredibly disjointed. It was almost like some kind of cup reversal role play.

Zemura was the pick of the youngsters. Looked calm and composed on the ball and could be a danger going forward. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Ofoborh got involved in play well but took a few wild swipes when chances to shoot opened up for him. Still, a good contribution for a first start.

Arter looked like, well, Arter. If he wanted to be here then we should keep him in a H.Arter beat but sadly I think he only played today to keep the players that will be staying fresh.

Begovic made one good save and took control in his area a couple of others but it was a mostly quiet night. The penalty shoot out was almost a farce but that wasn't his fault. Looks like it's fans that add the tension to these things.

Surridge tried hard without being too effective but he seems like a good option to have around. Someone that will put in some hard yards up front and try to battle.

Best comedy moment: Hennessey's penalty. I know he's a keeper but... wow.

That's about it really. It was a bit of a nothing game. We played. We won. We get to beat Man City in the next round.

Last edited:
Really think surridge goal was on side. Palace had one shot so hard to judge bego, but he seemed assured apart from his pen.
I'm a fan of billing but wasn't his best performance. Simpson looked good for what he had to do. Not sure who we play at city next week with Norwich soon after

I think considering the quality they had at the top end of the pitch at various times, that was a very encouraging performance. We are not going to face many players as good as Townsend Bats**tguy and Eze in the championship and they never had a sniff

thats the great thing. even tho we've been "robbed"..... its SO nice not having var ruining the game :clap:
That's a victory talking - if at the weekend we concede in the last minute, the player being offside but flag stays down, I am not so sure how cheerful I will be. Say VAR was used and Sam gets off the mark early in the season, now how impact could that have. He might not agree.

That's a victory talking - if at the weekend we concede in the last minute, the player being offside but flag stays down, I am not so sure how cheerful I will be. Say VAR was used and Sam gets off the mark early in the season, now how impact could that have. He might not agree.

Tough. That's football. Being able to celebrate last minute winners properly is much more important. I'm already enjoying goals more this season, just knowing it can't be randomly taken away in five minutes time is bliss.

One of those instances where the striker timed his run too well by the look of it. You see those given as offside very often because the attacker ends up in acres of space and for the linesman it seems improbable that he could possibly have been onside when the pass was played.
Great pity for Sam, it should have been a beautiful goal !

We should be pleased with the overall performance. Passing and movement was good - for long periods Palace couldn't get near the ball ... an excellent showing with so many youngsters in the team. H made a big difference in midfield - in general our weakest area IMO. Will be a pity if he moves on. Little threat upfront though, despite the Surridge energy.

;