Cooks long throw

I recall at the end of the 15/16 season that he threw a long one in from the main stand and the WBA defence failed to deal with it...I think it bounced and Matt Ritchie headed it in to equalise.

I am always surprised when Cook runs the length of the pitch to take one. Seems to me to be against Eddie's ethos of playing football.

Yes West Brom and Liverpool both at home are two that stick out
United were such a physically big team, it was unlikely to work against them, although one or two corners weren't far off.

Hardly surprising if we don’t.
Saw a stat the other day that Chelsea average 1 goal for every 58 corners.
No clue on our goal/corner stats, but corner delivery should be much more dangerous than a long throw - and statistically you have a cat in hells chance of scoring from a corner.

Hardly surprising if we don’t.
Saw a stat the other day that Chelsea average 1 goal for every 58 corners.
No clue on our goal/corner stats, but corner delivery should be much more dangerous than a long throw - and statistically you have a cat in hells chance of scoring from a corner.

Was concerned that I had no clue on corner stats - so went googling.
Best I can find is 16/17 season where we got 185 corners and scored from them 4 times - a 2.2% return.
I’m going to stop getting excited when we get corners. ☹️

Counter intuitive I know, but the opposition winning corners can actually be quite the attacking opportunity. Or counter-attacking opportunity, I should say. For a team with our pace and ability to find a pass, getting most of the opposition team deep into our half is a rare opening. Obviously as long as we can win the initial header (or get the keeper to grab it) and get it down to the feet of one of our passers. Josh King has scored a couple of these goals in recent years.

Defending corners aerially isn't something we've always been good at, we're blessed with Ake and the like these days together with a big goalkeeper.

I like them, adds more unpredictability than taking a throw shirt and passing it all the way back to Begovic at least it’s in the mix most of the time

Yup, totally agree, and mentioned this in the match thread today. The throws are too loopy, so even if we win the first header it's just got no pace on it. We are basically hoping it drops and we get scraps, but it so rarely works. Given our ability to play neat passes around the edge of the box, and that one of our favourite moves is the overlap and cut inside (Fraser does this all the time), why not go short at least sometimes. In the final few minutes it's fair enough to chuck it in the box (tired legs and brains means an error is more likely) but it feels like we just surrender possession too easily with them throughout the match.

Newcastle looked delighted to gobble them up today, whereas when we played it on the deck around the edge of the area they looked far more panicky.

;