Dave Merrington

deancourt

Star Player
Listen to Radio Solent post match programme Saturday 5-6pm , Dave said that Saints used to have one of the best defences for goals against not only in the Premier League but in Europe too ??? What season is he referring too

We used to be great defensively too under Dave Webb...but not sure what the relevance of that is to this season.

10 - 0......my Dad was at the game.. season abandoned on the Monday after..!...six weeks later he was driving a tank in Egypt !

So Boscombe were top of 3 South for 5 years!

We had drawn the 1st game of the season I think. We were 3rd when war broke out.
I used to have the Echo Pink of that game many years ago. God knows where it went.

We had one disallowed as well.
I was right in line and it was never offside!

10 - 0......my Dad was at the game.. season abandoned on the Monday after..!...six weeks later he was driving a tank in Egypt !

They remember it well.

In the three seasons prior to the breakout of World War II, the Cobblers finished 7th, 9th and 17th respectively in Division Three (South), while in 1938 the Cobblers signed John Parris from Luton Town who was the first ever black player to play for Wales. In the final match prior to the War, the Cobblers travelled to Dean Court and lost 10-0 to Bournemouth, the club's record League defeat. During the war the Cobblers had the record for the first transfer fee received during the hostilities when Bobby King was sold to Wolverhampton Wanderers for a substantial four-figure fee.

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/club/club-history/

Brave bloke ! My grandad was a Sapper in Egypt- part of Western Desert Force under Wavell , then at Tobruk and El Alamein - clearing mines for the tanks !
Do you know what your dad drove ?

;