David Turnbull

Celtic fans set to turn on a sixpence and go from the lad being the best thing since sliced bread to being crap and not good enough for em anyway.

Guess we'll see who follows up this development with a bid of their own. I see Barnsley are being mentioned a lot.

Perhaps he always dreamed of joining the conveyor belt of young scottish talent that has graced L2, L1 and 1the Championship.
Too many have had a downward career path to balance the upward bank balance.

Fraser reaping the benefits of choosing development first, money second.

Perhaps part of the reason the national team is short of talent

Their forum is saying Celtic offered him £10,000 a week, currently on £800 at Motherwell. IF true, it wouldn't break the bank to get him *if Eddie wants him) The Hoops

Reading through the Celtic forum is really quite an eye opener. Saying £3,000,000 is a big spend for them! This quite stunned me, they are a MASSIVE club, some would say, one of the bigest in European football, with the support they have.

Their forum is saying Celtic offered him £10,000 a week, currently on £800 at Motherwell. IF true, it wouldn't break the bank to get him *if Eddie wants him) The Hoops
You don’t reject a 1000% pay rise if you haven’t got another move lined up. It could be the case that Eddie isn’t even interested but it’s a sign that players are increasingly putting footballing prospects ahead of signing for so called massive clubs.

I would say the lad has maybe rejected the move as he is a Motherwell fan and genuinely loves the club and favours a move south of the border. Down south he’d absolutely thrive and more likely develop more. If he signed for Bournemouth I’d be ecstatic. Not only as he has not went to Celtic but signed for a club like Bournemouth who are clearly on the up and willing to invest and work closely with high potential talent and give them an opportunity/ platform to perform at.

What intrigues me is the only south of the border club he’s been linked with is Barnsley. Without wanting to sound disrespectful, a Championship relegation battle doesn’t sound ideal for a young lad moving away from home.

Isn’t Eddie on holiday too at the moment? I honestly think this deal has legs. I’m speculating of course, but maybe a quick message has gone to the player to hold off until both are back in UK and take it from there

I would say the lad has maybe rejected the move as he is a Motherwell fan and genuinely loves the club and favours a move south of the border. Down south he’d absolutely thrive and more likely develop more. If he signed for Bournemouth I’d be ecstatic. Not only as he has not went to Celtic but signed for a club like Bournemouth who are clearly on the up and willing to invest and work closely with high potential talent and give them an opportunity/ platform to perform at.

You know, of all the players we would inevitably be linked with this summer, I was not expecting the one advertised by a random Motherwell fan to be both the most LIKELY, and the one I’m most excited about!

The more I read about him, the more I know he’d thrive for us and the more I want him. You don’t turn down Celtic as a young Scottish player, if you don’t have some degree of knowledge on what your worth as a player and what your ceiling is. Sign him up EH!

You know, of all the players we would inevitably be linked with this summer, I was not expecting the one advertised by a random Motherwell fan to be both the most LIKELY, and the one I’m most excited about!

The more I read about him, the more I know he’d thrive for us and the more I want him. You don’t turn down Celtic as a young Scottish player, if you don’t have some degree of knowledge on what your worth as a player and what your ceiling is. Sign him up EH!
Infrastructure are interested in him and their new manager Potter has been a fan of his for a while. Their lot are all saying sign him up quickly.

Infrastructure are interested in him and their new manager Potter has been a fan of his for a while. Their lot are all saying sign him up quickly.
Does kind of make sense that Brighton are interested in him as Swansea tried to poach him in the winter as his contract was running down but instead signed a new deal and has obviously went on to achieve bigger and better things and more likely to go into a first team down south rather than a u23s. His head is definitely screwed on and Celtic coming away with their usual shenanigans placing the blame on someone else “player and agent” the deal may have been magnificent but it’s not always the right choice and of course their is other interest and you don’t jump at the first chance.

Lots been written about this lad on the forum lately.
Apparently he has refused terms with Celtic even though Motherwell said it had accepted an offer with Celtic.
His agent is probably touting him to English clubs now.

Felt compelled to join the Site in order to offer some balance to the debate about Turnbull and any proposed move to Celtic.
I am a lifelong fan of Celtic of close to 4 Decades and have seen many talents come and go at our Club most notably Van Dijk ,Wanyama,Dembele,Armstrong and countless more over the years.
In Scotland Celtic and Rangers (In Liquidation) tended to dominate the Transfer Market at home.
In recent years with the demise of Rangers (IL) Celtic have had more or less a free run at signing the emerging talent up the road.
The case of Turnbull is fairly straightforward from what I have seen.
Motherwell set a price for a promising young player who has come through their ranks realising the time had come where it is likely he would be moving on.
Celtic having watched Turnbull come through the youth setup agreed with Motherwell on the price.
Celtic then offered Turnbull what our Club considers a very good offer for a fairly unproven talent with great potential.
That sum was more than what Celtic paid both Van Dijk and Wanyama on their arrival to Celtic Park and given both the potential of these two players (which has been realised at Southampton,Spurs and Liverpool not too mention the Champions League with Celtic also).
The offer is believed to be over £10k per week (reports suggesting £12k) for a four year contract.
Turnbull has flat rejected this offer and his Agent it would appear is now hocking him round the Chmapionship Clubs in England where it is hoped he can double his money and be guaranteed first team action.
You see this is the point about Celtic taking him on because he will not be 1st , 2nd or even 3rd choice at Celtic in the position he plays.
We have Ntcham,Rogic,Christie already operating as AMF’s at Celtic and another in Henderson who has like Turnbull great potential.
He may well end up at Barnsley or wherever but I can assure him ,his Agent or anyone else remotely connected with him he will not gain as much as a Footballer if he does.
Whilst I appreciate that most English fans do t rate our Domestic game in Scotland Callum McGregor has just played his 50th European game for Celtic and given he was on Loan at Notts County not so long ago goes to show just how successful a move to Celtic can be for a young talented player like Turnbull.
Van Dijk hasn’t done too bad either for the experience.
The response by Celtic which is unprecedented btw has come about because of several factors.
1 Motherwell have made the whole thing very public
2 Our Media would have had a field day over this after the McGinn saga last Summer
3 This has come down to player or Agent greed as his Agent already has had several dealings with Celtic (Armstrong and Christie) and will have knowledge of wage structures etc.
So Celtic have rightly told the Support why it has broken down and who is responsible.
I personally hope we as a Club move on now as in my opinion we have better already at the Club and no shortage of Attacking options in Midfield.
All the best to him and Bournemouth all the same in the future.

Last edited:
Felt compelled to join the Site in order to offer some balance to the debate about Turnbull and any proposed move to Celtic.
I am a lifelong fan of Celtic of close to 4 Decades and have seen many talents come and go at our Club most notably Van Dijk ,Wanyama,Dembele,Armstrong and countless more over the years.
In Scotland Celtic and Rangers (In Liquidation) tended to dominate the Transfer Market at home.
In recent years with the demise of Rangers (IL) Celtic have had more or less a free run at signing the emerging talent up the road.
The case of Turnbull is fairly straightforward from what I have seen.
Motherwell set a price for a promising young player who has come through their ranks realising the time had come where it is likely he would be moving on.
Celtic having watched Turnbull come through the youth setup agreed with Motherwell on the price.
Celtic then offered Turnbull what our Club considers a very good offer for a fairly unproven talent with great potential.
That sum was more than what Celtic paid both Van Dijk and Wanyama on their arrival to Celtic Park and given both the potential of these two players (which has been realised at Southampton,Spurs and Liverpool not too mention the Champions League with Celtic also).
The offer is believed to be over £10k per week (reports suggesting £12k) for a four year contract.
Turnbull has flat rejected this offer and his Agent it would appear is now hocking him round the Chmapionship Clubs in England where it is hoped he can double his money and be guaranteed first team action.
You see this is the point about Celtic taking him on because he will not be 1st , 2nd or even 3rd choice at Celtic in the position he plays.
We have Ntcham,Rogic,Christie already operating as AMF’s at Celtic and another in Henderson who has like Turnbull great potential.
He may well end up at Barnsley or wherever but I can assure him ,his Agent or anyone else remotely connected with him he will not gain as much as a Footballer if he does.
Whilst I appreciate that most English fans do t rate our Domestic game in Scotland Callum McGregor has just played his 50th European game for Celtic and given he was on Loan at Notts County not so long ago goes to show just how successful a move to Celtic can be for a young talented player like Turnbull.
Van Dijk hasn’t done too bad either for the experience.
The response by Celtic which is unprecedented btw has come about because of several factors.
1 Motherwell have made the whole thing very public
2 Our Media would have had a field day over this after the McGinn saga last Summer
3 This has come down to player or Agent greed as his Agent already has had several dealings with Celtic (Armstrong and Christie) and will have knowledge of wage structures etc.
So Celtic have rightly told the Support why it has broken down and who is responsible.
I personally hope we as a Club move on now as in my opinion we have better already at the Club and no shortage of Attacking options in Midfield.
All the best to him and Bournemouth all the same in the future.
“If not we move on” superb man Celtic fan can’t believe a player has the initiative to reject Celtic Football Club, how dare he. The lad has a clever head on him, he rejected Celtic and nobody knows the reason. Celtic don’t want the embarrassment of not being able to complete the transfer of the player because he doesn’t want to join them, so let’s blame it on the player and agent. It’s not either clubs fault it’s just simply the boy feels his career will develop much greater by moving down south. Fair play to the lad a lot more clever than his mate Hastie anyway but I’ll back them both on however they do in their careers and welcome them back to Fir Park.

;