Defence for Burnley?

DJ

Howe has certainly mixed it up recently. So who will Howe choose against Burnley?

He's tried to reward Nathan Ake for his performances at Stoke and Arsenal with a continued place, but against Liverpool the centre back pairing of Francis and Cook just looked better.

Adam Smith also has to return to right back and should never return to left back.

So does Ake stay at left back? Or does Charlie Daniels now come back in?

I don't think he can drop Ake, so I would play

Smith, Francis, Cook, Ake across the back.

Alternatively I would put Daniels at left back and play Ake in place of Gosling, who has not looked at his best in recent matches.

:afcb:

There was a bit of gossip on Twitter last night about Daniels been told he was starting on Saturday. In the press conference this morning, Eddie announced Daniels was available and also praised Ake versatility.

So my guess would be Ake coming into midfield to replace Gosling who struggles a bit on Sunday. The wide positions will also be an interesting selection too. This would be my selection

Boruc
Smith Francis Cook Daniels
Arter Ake
Fraser Wilshere King
Wilson

Can't disagree with that.

Though could go with Ibe instead of Fraser and then bring on the Wee Man with 25-30 to go to exploit tiring legs.

Jim_AFCB - 9/12/2016 10:07

Can't disagree with that.

Though could go with Ibe instead of Fraser and then bring on the Wee Man with 25-30 to go to exploit tiring legs.

Agree. I'd definitely start Ibe. Fraser has always seem to work best as the super sub in the past.

I have a suspicion that Eddie tried to avoid the curse of the utility player for Ake by shifting things around at the back last weekend. Where a player who can fill in several roles never gets a chance to properly establish themselves because they're being moved every other game. Ake had done well at CB so he kept him there. The mistake was shoe horning Smith in at LB if he wanted to do that.

We'll see but I'd be surprised to see him moved again.

As for Fraser, he has to start. Otherwise what are you saying to players who do a brilliant job when they come on as a sub? His confidence will be sky high against a team who will desperately want the three points in what surely must be one of their 'targeted' matches putting them more on the front foot hopefully leaving more space at the back for us/him to exploit.

If you don't give him the chance to prove now he can do it over 90 minutes, when do you?

Over recent games, and that's what matters, Ake has been he best defender at the club.

When paired with Cook, Cook once again showed his weird inability to perform on the right hand side of a CB pairing. Weird because Cook is right footed. Ake however was MOM.

So Ake obviously should start.

I'd prefer him at left back but CB would be good too

If EH doesn't start Ake then EH has fecked up, big time

Has as to be the defence that finished against Liverpool. Smith Francis Cook Ake.

Ake has to be the first name on the defensive tram sheet, LB might be the easiest way to fit him in without causing Cook to have brain farts

Forgive me if I am not yet in the "Ake is the best thing ever" camp. He has played well, yes of course he has and most importantly has been in the right place to score 2 match winning goals. But IMO some of his defensive work needs improving, caught out by Manes pace and strength for Liverpools first goal, poor attempt at clearing before Liverpools third, some fortuitous defending/clearing at Stoke (along with some very good defending).
Having said all that I would play him tomorrow in the back four that ended the Liverpool game.
I think it will be a somewhat strange game at Burnley. They will set up like Middlesboro, for a home team very defensive minded and try and get us on the break and with set pieces. Tough game.

redharry - 9/12/2016 11:23

Forgive me if I am not yet in the "Ake is the best thing ever" camp. He has played well, yes of course he has and most importantly has been in the right place to score 2 match winning goals. But IMO some of his defensive work needs improving, caught out by Manes pace and strength for Liverpools first goal, poor attempt at clearing before Liverpools third, some fortuitous defending/clearing at Stoke (along with some very good defending).
Having said all that I would play him tomorrow in the back four that ended the Liverpool game.

Agree with this. Ake has played well in the last three games including an almost faultless MoM performance at Arsenal. Even in those games though he's not been 'the best defender at the club' that would be Steve Cook even with his mistake at Arsenal.

Ake has to play somewhere though. I'd prefer to see him at LB or CM.

SlowDownDerek - 9/12/2016 11:37

Agree with this. Ake has played well in the last three games including an almost faultless MoM performance at Arsenal. Even in those games though he's not been 'the best defender at the club' that would be Steve Cook even with his mistake at Arsenal.

Ake wasn't faultless against Arsenal.

I recall once when Ake gave the ball away very sloppily in the second half.

But was was great was that, instead of standing head in hands, he went straight in with a superb tackle, put the ball out for a throw in and ended the Arsenal threat.

At that point, I thought Ake may make mistakes, as any player can do, but he took the responsibility himself to rectify the situation - and he did!

So far, so good with Ake and if Daniels comes back tomorrow, he ought to play in place of Gosling.

It's the Cook problem that worries me. In different with most others in here, I'd go Smith, Francis, Cook, Ake. Interesting the thinking about Daniels in and Ake for Gosling, certainly doesn't seem utter madness. Back to Cook though, seems the next CB in the pecking order is Mings, which at a guess would imply that he would want to play on the left as well

Strangely thinking about footedness and position, we've been playing inside out wingers for years, maybe inside out centre backs are the future. Must be easier to show people outside and not get turned inside in that direction though

I mentioned it on the Cook thread but playing a CB on the "wrong side" makes a lot of sense.

Most risky passes by a CB go across your own box. As right footer on the left, you are naturally going to be facing the direction of your risky pass. On the right, a square pass is going to be on your blind side which is where the problems start.

SlowDownDerek - 9/12/2016 11:37

Playing devils advocate for one moment, even if Ake was the best defender at the club, does he parter Cook or Francis better than the partnership they have built themselves?

Central defence is all about partnerships.

Personally, as a huge fan of Charlie Daniels I'd let him ease his way back slowly and go with Ake at left back for now.

Start the game at Burnley with the defence that finished the game against Liverpool. Sorry, Daniels has to be on the bench ready to come on at left back or left midfield.

;