Defining AFCB moment of 2018.

As the media seems to be wall to wall nostalgia for 2018 today, what's your defining AFCB memory of 2018?

Something that will probably stay with you for the rest of your days, an event that will get raised by you time and time again on long away trips or in the pub.

"I remember back in 2018 when................................................"

.............................I was sat in my office watching the AFCB against Seville friendly being streamed from La Manga and a blond haired kid who looked about 14 came on the field.

Within 5 minutes I knew we had something special, the same feeling as when I first saw JD play at Dean Court on loan.

Unfortunately for me, in a calendar year where we have been the seventh best side in the land it’s going to be two negatives.

Within a couple of months of beating both Arsenal and Chelsea, losing at St Mary’s and missing hitting that final nail in the coffin still stings.

As does the announcement of no movement on the training ground and stadium after four seasons in the richest league in the world.

Hard to pick out one moment - maybe Stan free kick vs West Brom as secured safety and was class.

I went to see afcb’s first England appearance watching Lewis cook which was a big highlight (closely followed by Callum being our first scorer for England!)

probably my most random year being a supporter and one unlikely to be repeated. Too many truly bizarre / surreal memories to list, all thanks to a big yellow bear. It’s a year I won’t forget. :utc:

Not a single defining point.

All those who have helped a pointless fan attend home matches in 2018.

Those who have helped me drag along folks from Norway, Sweden and the USA and create new overseas supporters.

The amazing extended family of AFCB fans who have followed this club through thin and thin and have managed to keep the faith long enough to witness our fourth season in the top division.

See you somewhere on the road in 2019.

Happy New Year!

Probably coming home from a family party and only being able to watch the second half of a particular game at Stamford Bridge...

Three;
The 3-0 win at the Bridge.

Watching Fraser at his best and the Mesmeric David Brooks Hypnotising Brighton.

Seeing us in the top Ten for almost half a season before the injuries, showing what can be acheived.

One bad moment....which overshadows everything......Reading the News of what appears to be No Progress on a New Stadium...

Unfortunately for me, in a calendar year where we have been the seventh best side in the land it’s going to be two negatives.

Within a couple of months of beating both Arsenal and Chelsea, losing at St Mary’s and missing hitting that final nail in the coffin still stings.

As does the announcement of no movement on the training ground and stadium after four seasons in the richest league in the world.

Unfortunately this is spot on.

On the plus side Chelsea and Watford away were brilliant.

Joined this forum December 25, 2017, so most memorable is all the stuff associated with being here ..... getting ideas for books and AFCB history, music exchanges with many on the NEJ, gaining a better understanding of the highs and lows of being a supporter, meeting another Toronto Cherrie and going to a bar for games, obtaining lots of AFCB paraphernalia, building acquaintances with some guys that I hope I will meet one day, being selected for the AFCB internatonal blog, winning LMS#2. As I said in another post, it is rare indeed to find something to be this enthusiastic about when you are past pensionable age.

On field, it has to be 3-0 against Chelsea ... I remember sitting there smiling like a loon, as we picked up 12 points in 6 games to go from 18th place to a much more promising position from which to secure safety. Second has to be the overall start to this season.

With the size of our ground we would be still be punching above our weight if we were 12th in the Championship! That's a sensible default position for some ( and one) of the silly buggers on the forum that cannot be satisfied or see any joy in what we have right now...if only they could re-arrange their brain cells and stop trying to predict what most seven- year olds do with ease after a 10 minute Stat session on Google!
Any mere glance at the league table ....shows a likelihood of Wedne sdays result being 2-1 or 2-2 or 1-2!

Three;
The 3-0 win at the Bridge.

Watching Fraser at his best and the Mesmeric David Brooks Hypnotising Brighton.

Seeing us in the top Ten for almost half a season before the injuries, showing what can be acheived.

One bad moment....which overshadows everything......Reading the News of what appears to be No Progress on a New Stadium...
Agree with all of this Bill, especially the last point

Chelsea away on the positive

Negative, Stadium delay announcement. And the realisation recently that the PL is kinda bent to prevent us upstarts getting results against certain clubs. Not seen it so blatantly before this year.
Concur with all of this. The past few weeks against the ‘big boys’ has been nothing short of disgraceful

Having AFCB related conversation wth random market stall holders and taxi drivers whilst on holiday in Mauritius, realising that just a handful of years ago, they wouldn't have had a clue who we were, let alone name EH or players.
It just felt weird

Some lovely moments on here, for me it was going back to my local (in Battersea) having just watched us diddle Chelsea 3-0 in their backyard. Everyone not wanting to talk footie at me for a change, despite almost every other day they'd be asking for opinions on how wonderful they were

Been a bad year work wise, so have been dishing out my CV, which includes a short hobbie/activities section which I realise now I should update, it's not quite as relevant as it was 12 years ago

cockbeard said:
Despite living away, I support my hometown football club and travel to around 20 games a season, I feel this shows both loyalty and the ability to cope with disappointment

;