Definition needed please

dj_silver

Fans' Favourite
I would like to know please, are we or when do we become an established Premier League club? Is there a probation time before we become an established Premier League team?
This term has always bemused me, it really is meaningless, Everton, who I would suggest are in that bracket were very close to being relegated a couple of seasons ago, West Ham too, Swansea went after being called an established Prem team.
I suggest we do away with the term, we shall always remain a proud tinpot club, upstarts, punching above our weight!
Well, until we win the Champions League!

I keep hearing this 'Established Premier League Team' thing. It doesn't apply to us and never will. There are only six of them, or seven if you include Everton. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the others get relegated. Some due to their general ineptness, others due to a bad injury crisis.

We were one of the well known established 3rd Division/League 3 clubs for many years.

If you survive the first season in a new league you are ‘established’ until you leave it. ;)

The expression doesn’t really bother me, just a throwaway word used by pundits.

In this case, I would just interpret established to mean you have a squad proven of performing well in that division. It doesn't mean you can't have a bad season and go down. It simply means you aren't going into to a season with a squad full of players who you don't know if they can make the step up.

For example, Wilson and King are established PL strikers. They still might only get 5 goals between them this season but as things stand you can have a resonable expectation their combined total will be more than 20.

Pukki isn't an established PL striker yet but he has 4 goals in 2 games. Solanke isn't established either as he simply hasn't held down a regular starting place anywhere despite knocking around at teams in the division for several seasons.

So, at the monent I'd say we're an established PL team. This season probably being the first that you could really say that since there's now a weight of evidence across the squad to prove it.

Agree its the top 6 plus Everton,who i dont think have ever been relegated from the top flight.
If we are still here in twenty years time,then maybe....

I think the fact that we still have a silly Div 2 stadium, with no apparent plan to upgrade, suggests to outsiders that there is no solid long-term ambition at AFCB. On a subconscious level perhaps, people find it hard to take us entirely seriously, despite what we regularly produce on the field.

The number of times fans from other clubs have asked "But when are you going to get a proper stadium sorted out ?"

Until we do, it's always going to be a case of "punching above our weight".

Statistics show that apart from the Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs, no team has been in the PL longer than 10 years consecutively, and here are only a few that make it to 10.

So looking at that we’re moving into borrowed time, unless of course we can break that mould... So I’d probably agree hat only the afore mentioned teams, and now including City, are ‘established’...

Established or not.....at the start of each game , the aim is the same..to score more goals than 11 men stood in front of you defending a goal.....it really is as simple as that ! ..If the team fails to do that on enough occasions, the Establishment of its status as a club is weakened and it can find itself in a lower League.....like Manu, Man C, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea in years gone by...only Arsenal have not done so since Ww2 ! Man C...our opponents on Saturday have surfed outside the top two Divs!

Leeds are expert at Dis ' Establishmentarianism when it comes to severing links with the Elite. !

We could bugger about with 'words' for ever...but when that ball moves off the centre spot......

;