Did Eddie Get His Tactics Right?

I thought Wilson was clearly onside. He's in line with one of their defenders, and Lerma is nowhere near the ball nor is he influencing play in any way.

Fancy 'only' scoring twice with our first two shots...

We were far from a good team last night, but the two-goal lead turned out to be an effective cushion. Midfield hassled and overrun but we still got the three points.

Someone in front of me said tv showed our 1st goal was definitely offside. Anyone confirm?

Oh, and ball boys/girls are kids just doing their job.

OK, you could argue that scoring with our only two shots is as good as we need to be, but that really is just letting stats gloss over what was still and shocking display for 90 minutes, and not just the final 70 mins...

Did Begovic get p*ssed off with a ball boy/girl then... ? I honestly thought he was directing his gestures at their player...?

Well I can distinctly remember us having more than 2 shots. Josh King had a very near miss in that opening 20 and certainly should have done much better with his shot when in on goal early in the 2nd half. I don't accept we were shocking for the whole 90 minutes by any stretch of the imagination but yes we were poor overall. But it's all about opinions.

In fairness the fact that we had a below par performance last night may well have been down to fact that we had an energy sapping game away at Man City only three days before. Playing Man City on their own ground and at the pace they play well well have taken it out of us, along with the travel etc. In addition, one has to give credit to the opposition for doing their homework on us. We may well have seen a better performance if there had been a weeks gap after the Man City game. Huddersfield may well have been fresher after playing at home last Saturday and only having the relatively short hop down to the south coast three days later. Food for thought!

We could ask if Eddie got the tactics right....but if the players don't obey the insructions that they are allotted to the tune of 80% ish, there will be problems.....for half an hour it all works but then if the opposition suddenly wake up, speed up and get an attitude..our players have to adapt..quickly. We didn't do that too well!
Of course..complacency played a part too....that was reflected in some of Kings play!

Huddersfield played 5 central midfielders. I don’t think we’ll ever face something as extreme as that for while but we really needed another body in there. Fraser and Brooks had to keep tucking in and that’s why their full backs had the freedom of the flanks to hurt us.

I realise our CM options are limited right now, but Stan for Brooks in a like for like sub baffled me. Could we not have asked Stan to play in the middle and then put Fraser and King wide to mark their full backs? Easy to say in hindsight but do think Eddie needed to be a bit more flexible last night.

Huddersfield played 5 central midfielders. I don’t think we’ll ever face something as extreme as that for while but we really needed another body in there. Fraser and Brooks had to keep tucking in and that’s why their full backs had the freedom of the flanks to hurt us.

I realise our CM options are limited right now, but Stan for Brooks in a like for like sub baffled me. Could we not have asked Stan to play in the middle and then put Fraser and King wide to mark their full backs? Easy to say in hindsight but do think Eddie needed to be a bit more flexible last night.
I think Stan did play quite centrally ...certainly not out wide anyway.

Did Eddie Get His Tactics Right?

- Checks final score (2-1 win)
- Checks points awarded for final score (3 pts.)
- Checks League Table (6th, place for a UEFA spot if a team in 1st to 5th win F.A. Cup)

Apparently he did; got his tactics spot on. (Unless there was another bullet, for play pretty football and win by 4 or more goals and/or clean-sheet)

Last edited:
Well I can distinctly remember us having more than 2 shots. Josh King had a very near miss in that opening 20 and certainly should have done much better with his shot when in on goal early in the 2nd half. I don't accept we were shocking for the whole 90 minutes by any stretch of the imagination but yes we were poor overall. But it's all about opinions.

Sorry Harry... I was referring to shots on target.

With so many players pushed forward, Huddersfield should have been highly vulnerable to counter attacks in the second half, unfortunately our ball retention, hold up play and support for the man with the ball was very poor, verging on shocking at times.

Not sure if the number of poor performances can all be blamed on Eddie's tactics.

I'd have beefed up midfield with Gosling for King but as he wasn't available I'm not sure I would have risked Surman. Stan has been pretty ineffective in his last two home sub appearances but perhaps he was bought on for attacking potential.

I looked at the clock on 71 minutes and was certain we would hold on so happy with Eddie's tactics for the last 25 minutes.

Not happy with Begovic's rant at the ball boy. I hope he has the decency to apologise. It really is very bad form for an experienced sportsman earning hundreds of thousands of pounds a year to behave like that to a young 'volunteer'.

;