Did JT do a good job?

Waz afcb

Fans' Favourite
Have had this argument with Topfarrier (and others) on numerous occasions in the past, I genuinely can’t understand how anyone could have watched us under JT and still hold the opinion that he was anywhere near up to the job. I ask this question out of genuine intrigue to discover whether I am in the minority on this. Did JT do a good job given the circumstances/resources at his disposal? It could also be worded as, ‘was JT up to the job he was tasked with?’
For me it is a resounding no and I will list a few of the reasons-
-tactical ineptitude- he set out very early on that he wanted to play three at the back and almost religiously pass out from the back. The two midfielders would drop deep to pick up the ball which would result in the front three becoming very isolated at the top end of the pitch and we would struggle to work the ball through the lines to them. It felt very disjointed and relied heavily on individual quality rather than a well functioning team when we did pick up results.
-consistently playing Adam Smith at left wing back. Negating the width entirely down that side and meaning we posed next to no threat down that side of the pitch, yet he continued to do it.
-his entire plan seemed to be to keep things tight at the back and hope that our talented forwards would create something, he pretty much said words to this effect. With the squad we had there was no reason not to attack the league head on, yet he chose to be conservative which resulted in some very turgid football.
-I can count on one hand the number of good performances we put in under him, there were a few but they were few and far between.
Genuinely interested to hear the opinions of others and their justifications for them on this.

I think whilst things were going well, his management style was ok. When it needed something special, unfortunately, he had nothing to offer. How many games did we go before defeat last season? It could be argued, we drew games we shouldn't have, but we still had a good run. Then we started to see player disputes on the pitch, and he couldn't handle it.

History now, like Fraser and others who have gone.

Now look forward to the future under Parker and this squad we have now, which has unearthed some new gems from within our club.
It’s a forum for discussion. I’m interested to hear opinions. If you can’t talk about the past then you can’t talk about much.

I think whilst things were going well, his management style was ok. When it needed something special, unfortunately, he had nothing to offer. How many games did we go before defeat last season? It could be argued, we drew games we shouldn't have, but we still had a good run. Then we started to see player disputes on the pitch, and he couldn't handle it.
I feel as though this undefeated label papered over the cracks. Results were decent, although we did drop points that we really shouldn’t have. In five games it’s better to win two and lose three as opposed to drawing all five. Reality is that performances were just not very good under him, and that eventually caught up with us.

I think he did the best job he could do given the situation and his experience. Do I think he did a good job? He started quite well but things went downhill relatively quickly and it was clear he wasn't inspiring the players. All in all, did he do a good job? The answer has to be no... wasn't up to it and I think the club did him a disservice by giving him the job in the situation it was in.

I feel as though this undefeated label papered over the cracks. Results were decent, although we did drop points that we really shouldn’t have. In five games it’s better to win two and lose three as opposed to drawing all five. Reality is that performances were just not very good under him, and that eventually caught up with us.
There was games we looked good under him. Home to Norwich, Huddersfield and Reading. Away to Coventry and Birmingham. To just dismiss all the performances as poor, is disrespectful to someone who served our club well.

It’s a forum for discussion. I’m interested to hear opinions. If you can’t talk about the past then you can’t talk about much.

But that is BTK's opinion, so why cant you let him have his!? Think you're being a tad touchy here.

Personally think JT did well to handle the immediate transition from EH. He cant have been terrible to go all those games unbeaten straight after the turgid displays from the season before.

That said, he was found wanting when he needed to dig in and come up with something different. It was right to get rid of him when we did, although not sure the board really had a plan at that point!

Its clear SP is an improvement in my opinion, but lets not get carried away after just 8 games.

But that is BTK's opinion, so why cant you let him have his!? Think you're being a tad touchy here.

Personally think JT did well to handle the immediate transition from EH. He cant have been terrible to go all those games unbeaten straight after the turgid displays from the season before.

That said, he was found wanting when he needed to dig in and come up with something different. It was right to get rid of him when we did, although not sure the board really had a plan at that point!

Its clear SP is an improvement in my opinion, but lets not get carried away after just 8 games.
Its not an opinion on the topic though lol

There was games we looked good under him. Home to Norwich, Huddersfield and Reading. Away to Coventry and Birmingham. To just dismiss all the performances as poor, is disrespectful to someone who served our club well.
I said that there were, but that you could count on one hand.

Don't see the point of the topic. You make a big announcement of flouncing of the site and then reappear bringing up the same old sh1te. Whether he was good enough or not he was manager of the team for a period and will be written in the annals of history as such. Has every manager we've had been good? No, but they gave it a shot. So did JT. We've moved on, he's moved on. You obviously haven't so I expect the same thread topic in about a month's time, if you haven't flounced off again.

He did a damn good job for years as assistant to E. Howe.. .started well as No1 then made a few mistakes.. as did E.Howe near the end of his reign...like many do...even those at the top like Klopp and Guardiola have dodgy periods...but JT...didn't get long to turn things back to positive...then JW likewise didn't get much time...to succeed in getting Afcb leading the Div !...because we all know that is where 'that/this squad' was supposed to be...according to Elite thinking.
Sure as Hell ...SP....needs to stay in the top two....or he will get dissected/ hung, drawn and quartered on here if things are getting pear-shaped around March.

Coventry's 'squad' isn't meant to be where it is in the table..as wasn't Afcb's in 14-15 when JT was around!

Last edited:
did JT do a good job?
Well for me here goes
he steadied the ship after EH left and relagation
he went into job knowing he would lose players and have no money to replace them
he put a good run of wins together
he kept us in play offs
he done this while trying to transition from the players mate to the players boss
his proformances were not always good sometimes dire but that aside yes I think he done a good job

And had to deal with a situation with no crowd or atmosphere
did JT do a good job?
Well for me here goes
he steadied the ship after EH left and relagation
he went into job knowing he would lose players and have no money to replace them
he put a good run of wins together
he kept us in play offs
he done this while trying to transition from the players mate to the players boss
his proformances were not always good sometimes dire but that aside yes I think he done a good job

;