Diego Rico

I feel bad for him. He hasn't been very good lately but he seems like a nice bloke and is an honest player who never hides. He's just never been used effectively. He's an old fashioned fullback and that's absolutely fine if he's encouraged to play to his strengths.

I'm not sure he has the pace for a traditional full back, and he is instructed to (or just does it) play narrow allowing an easy ball out to the winger. I've never been a big fan of Rico's, but I thought he looked v good as the left of a 3 man centre defence, where his reading of the game (which is generally good) stood out.

Seems an unusual signing, doesn't fit the typical Howe style full back.

Wonder how much scouting went into him?

Didn't it take a season before we saw him play consistently?

Christ Almighty..Diego is from Spain
..how can he not be any good...sominks not right at DC....!
If we let the guy play how HE wants to play..its his f√cking boots...then we might get the Full Diego...somebody.. Eddie or whoever ..brought the guy to BH postcode FFS.. for a Reason for some Seasons !

We have to get down to the Malt and Hops of this.. or maybe the f√ckin Rioja ..or whatever its grapes !
Fiesta !

Christ Almighty..Diego is from Spain
..how can he not be any good...sominks not right at DC....!
If we let the guy play how HE wants to play..its his f√cking boots...then we might get the Full Diego...somebody.. Eddie or whoever ..brought the guy to BH postcode FFS.. for a Reason for some Seasons !

We have to get down to the Malt and Hops of this.. or maybe the f√ckin Rioja ..or whatever its grapes !
Fiesta !
He also bought Ibe, Rantie, Iturbie and a few more.....they don't all work out

I feel bad for him. He hasn't been very good lately but he seems like a nice bloke and is an honest player who never hides. He's just never been used effectively. He's an old fashioned fullback and that's absolutely fine if he's encouraged to play to his strengths.
Most old-fashioned fullbacks I know know how to mark goal side of their man

He is most definitely an old fashioned full back. Certainly not suited to the modern game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full back as uncomfortable carrying the ball at this level. It also takes him a few seconds to adjust his body position before he whips in a cross too. His interception stats have always been good but his stats for ball retention and completed crosses must be atrocious. Unfortunately for him, with the way we play we need our full backs bombing forward. We need to move him on in the Summer if at all possible, he’s just taking up a squad place at the moment

Seems an unusual signing, doesn't fit the typical Howe style full back.

Wonder how much scouting went into him?

Didn't it take a season before we saw him play consistently?

Think maybe the scouting went up itself as opposed to into him...what do we know...possibly the best player we never utilised properly..
..interesting to know Diego's take on it..

..here's me sticking up for a ' £oreign player...Haha !

He is most definitely an old fashioned full back. Certainly not suited to the modern game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a full back as uncomfortable carrying the ball at this level. It also takes him a few seconds to adjust his body position before he whips in a cross too. His interception stats have always been good but his stats for ball retention and completed crosses must be atrocious. Unfortunately for him, with the way we play we need our full backs bombing forward. We need to move him on in the Summer if at all possible, he’s just taking up a squad place at the moment
His interception stats are great because he consistently fails to get goal side of his man. If you mark goal side you are not going to get many interceptions but you are going to stop a hell of a lot more goal-scoring chances than he does. There’s a reason why EH then JT and now JW don’t want to play him (with a right footer getting the nod ahead of him when we’ve got two right-footers available). And it’s because he can’t defend ... not because he can’t attack

Last edited:
His interception stats are great because he consistently fails to get goal side of his man. If you mark goal side you are not going to get many interceptions but you are going to stop a hell of a lot more goal-scoring chances than he does. There’s a reason why EH then JT and now JW don’t want to play him (with a right footer getting the nod ahead of him when we’ve got two right-footers available). And it’s because he can’t defend ... not because he can’t attack
And you matey...has difficulty in introducing your two brain cells to each other...with a view to making a sense analysis of something on the Earths surface !

Last edited:
And you matey...has difficulty in introducing your two brain cells..with a view
Get back to me when you’ve got a basic grasp of English. BTW, why are you not Brian any more (genuine question)? And when you were Brian, I don’t remember you being pointlessly and incomprehensibly offensive to others who are just trying to have reasoned debate.

Last edited:
Most old-fashioned fullbacks I know know how to mark goal side of their man
They do ?
Do your 2 brain cells ever get together..with a view to enabling yourself to make a sense analysis of anything on the Earth's surface ?
Get back to me when you’ve got a basic grasp of English. BTW, why are you not Brian any more (genuine question)

Because I'm an old dickhead who knows f√ck - all...so went to the 'Old' avatar thingy!
Grab yourself a Comic..next time your in a Newsagent..get a sense of humour.!

Not sure why Rico gets so much negative feedback. The guy is a left back (I’d say even a better center back in a back three and is absolutely being misused here as a guy forced to play the ten role from the left back position.

When he is out our offense looks better because players are forced to actually move the ball around and not continuously go to Rico to carry the load.

If they would let him just play defense and support an attack I’d bet he would look a lot more comfortable. Stacey can just disappear on the right and focus on defense and everyone loves him.
Think it's for the same reason that Mepham gets stick - technically both are ok, but prone to lapses in concentration & poor balls out.

The new rules ... i.e. hoof it .. perhaps suit them & the team a lot more - so many points have we lost this season, let alone the last by dicking around at the back, I reckon these lads could really benefit from the more clear cut instructions to clear the decks ...

And we get some more points !

They do ?
Do your 2 brain cells ever get together..with a view to enabling yourself to make a sense analysis of anything on the Earth's surface ?

Because I'm an old dickhead who knows f√ck - all...so went to the 'Old' avatar thingy!
Grab yourself a Comic..next time your in a Newsagent..get a sense of humour.!
Thanks. That was enlightening. When I first started posting here, I genuinely respected you as one of the forum institutions. I am always happy to admit when I am wrong. This is one of those times. I’m actually a bit worried about you. Hopefully it’s just a glass or two too many? Anyway, I don’t need another Shminto/Cherrybright pointless sh!t-stirrer. If you want to engage intelligently (if possible) with my view that Rico’s defensive discipline is poor, please crack on. If not, there’s absolutely no need to get personally offensive to someone who has never shown you any disrespect. PS. I have a great sense of humour, but being accused of having two brain cells when trying to have an intelligent, sensible discussion is genuinely not that funny (it really isn’t: honest). But if it made you laugh, good for you.

Thanks. That was enlightening. When I first started posting here, I genuinely respected you as one of the forum institutions. I am always happy to admit when I am wrong. This is one of those times. I’m actually a bit worried about you. Hopefully it’s just a glass or two too many? Anyway, I don’t need another Shminto/Cherrybright pointless sh!t-stirrer. If you want to engage intelligently (if possible) with my view that Rico’s defensive discipline is poor, please crack on. If not, there’s absolutely no need to get personally offensive to someone who has never shown you any disrespect. PS. I have a great sense of humour, but being accused of having two brain cells when trying to have an intelligent, sensible discussion is genuinely not that funny (it really isn’t: honest). But if it made you laugh, good for you.

Yep..I went OTT with that Kerasi....bloody stupid tbh..so Sorry...Ive had a few beers this weekend , but thats pathetic excuse really.
I guess I get overly sensitive about certain players getting stick and others getting none...just me and my flaws!
Once again ..Sorry about that...your a Good poster and Fan !

Yep..I went OTT with that Kerasi....bloody stupid tbh..so Sorry...Ive had a few beers this weekend , but thats pathetic excuse really.
I guess I get overly sensitive about certain players getting stick and others getting none...just me and my flaws!
Once again ..Sorry about that...your a Good poster and Fan !
Thanks Brian. No probs. Let’s joust again soon my friend

That cherry(not so)bright is still plaguing the comments section on the Echo forum boards. I guess I don't need to go into details as we all know what a prat he is.

That cherry(not so)bright is still plaguing the comments section on the Echo forum boards. I guess I don't need to go into details as we all know what a prat he is.
I know. Moved to vitals to escape him and all his alter-egos. Hoping he’s not lurking here somewhere? General quality of comment and discussion on here much higher, thank fcuk. Spend 99% of my time reading rather than commenting and almost always find it worthwhile.

I know. Moved to vitals to escape him and all his alter-egos. Hoping he’s not lurking here somewhere? General quality of comment and discussion on here much higher, thank fcuk. Spend 99% of my time reading rather than commenting and almost always find it worthwhile.

I first read that as "general quality of comment and depression on here is much higher" you could say that :cautious:.

Agree about the echo though an absolute car crash of a comments section that I had to stop reading years ago.

;