Diego Rico

Watching his video I’m not sure he’d even met Eddie before , and his English is virtually non existent. Could be an interesting ride!

The translator introduced him as 'the boss and his assistant'. It certainly didn't look like they'd met.

At least when Lerma signs they'll be a second Spanish speaker ;)

is he the prettiest player we've had since steve jones?

I hope he has learned his lesson.

Rico collected a three-match ban after receiving two bookings in quick succession during the Madrid-based club’s 3-2 victory over La Liga rivals Real Betis in May.

Cautioned for a foul on Joel Campbell, Rico then received a second yellow card after sarcastically applauding the referee’s decision to book him.

And while the standard punishment for a red card due to two bookings is a one-match suspension, Rico got himself in more hot water as he left the pitch.

The 25-year-old defender spoke out of turn to a linesman and was subsequently hit with an additional two-match ban.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...pped-mark-on-farewell-appearance-for-leganes/

Rico collected a three-match ban after receiving two bookings in quick succession during the Madrid-based club’s 3-2 victory over La Liga rivals Real Betis in May.

Cautioned for a foul on Joel Campbell, Rico then received a second yellow card after sarcastically applauding the referee’s decision to book him.

And while the standard punishment for a red card due to two bookings is a one-match suspension, Rico got himself in more hot water as he left the pitch.

The 25-year-old defender spoke out of turn to a linesman and was subsequently hit with an additional two-match ban.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sp...pped-mark-on-farewell-appearance-for-leganes/

From this I learnt that Harry Arter will never play in Spain.

From this I learnt that Harry Arter will never play in Spain.

Was thinking of Harry when I read the story.

Hope we get to see Harry again back to his best this season, we didn’t see the Harry we know last season.

He has been a very good player for us and has contributed to our rise up the leagues.

I was right in line with it - never a foul on Campbell. Even Spanish refs are anti AFCB. :downer:

It really does sound like we've found a spiritual successor to Harry Arter.
Frustrating that we miss him for 3 games over something so silly.

So whether he is an upgrade on Daniels is TBD but it certainly looks like we have strengthens our depth at LB. how does this impact Brad Smith though? Do we need 3 LBs in our squad? Especially if Mings might be able to play there.

Our issue has always been RB but I guess the plan is wee man being a back up to Smith at wing back and Francis back up to RB?

So whether he is an upgrade on Daniels is TBD but it certainly looks like we have strengthens our depth at LB. how does this impact Brad Smith though? Do we need 3 LBs in our squad? Especially if Mings might be able to play there.

Our issue has always been RB but I guess the plan is wee man being a back up to Smith at wing back and Francis back up to RB?

Lerma is also stated as being able to play both DM and RB so if he was to arrive then that's another option.

If Mepham was to arrive that would potentially release Francis without leaving us light for options there.

LB options:
Daniels
Rico
B Smith
A Smith
Mings (although since the knee issue hasn't been considered there so maybe they feel he can't do that anymore)

LCB options
Ake
S Cook
Mings
Simpson

RCB options
Francis
S Cook
Mepham (if signed)

RB options
A Smith
Francis
Lerma (if signed)
Fraser

I can actually see someone like B Smith moving on in this scenario since the first team chances for him must be close to zero. Unless Daniels gets injured or suspended right at the start of the season, after game three he will be third choice.

It's probably greedy to hope for both Lerma and Mepham but considering the net spend this summer isn't that high yet due to player sales perhaps it could still be possible.

A season long loan to a Championship club would be the best bet for B Smith. We aren't going to get much of a fee for him, but if he does well, he might be in a position to challenge on his return or at least boost his value if we do decide to sell like Grabban

Smith is only one year younger than Rico so I don’t see too much of a future here to be honest unless he is to replace Daniels who is getting on a bit

Wigan are after Brad Smith apparently. Should happen next Wednedsday or Thursday. But don't blame me if the medical delays things and it gets announced on the Tuesday night before. (I think thats how it works.)

Just spent the night in Diego's home town of Burgos. A really beautiful place with a magnificent cathedral. This is of no relevance to anything whatsoever apart from being Gardesque in its factuality

I’m really not sure what to make of him. I’m starting to wonder if we’ve signed a dud but I’m convinced there’s a good player in there somewhere. Mind you we’ve been saying the same about Ibe and Mousset for 2.5 years.

I get that he needs time to learn the system but Clyne didn’t seem to have too many issues. Sometimes an attacking full back can stand in a team that doesn’t have to defend. But Leganes are far from the strongest side in Spain, when our scouts (and Dortmund’s) had him watched, we must have seen what he is capable of defensively and been impressed.

What concerns me the most is he just doesn’t seem to grasp when he needs to press and engage an opponent and when he needs to drop off and cover space. Maybe it’s a language issue, but really it should be part of a good defenders DNA.

It’s obviously way too soon to write him off. He could definitely do with a run of games. But now this mythical 6 month period to learn the ‘Bournemouth Way’ is coming to an end, I’m slightly disappointed we’ve not seen any real improvement yet.

;