Diego Rico

It just makes it clear how much we allowed ourselves to get carried away with all of that PL money though, doesn't it ? Buy a player for 10 odd million quid without batting an eyelid and then a few years later, this "asset" is let go for a few hundred thousand. A pound is still worth a pound, however many pounds you have lying around. Hopefully a few people at the club have realised that now and we'll be more careful to ensure that we get proper value for our money in the future ( should we ever be in that position again of course ! ). I guess once you are in the PL, these are the prices you have to pay to get the player, still bloody annoying though !

you are right but sadly pre covid that’s what happened to prem clubs. Prices inflated as people know they have cash. Look at Crystal Palace spending £20m on a Chelsea reserve centre back.

you are right but sadly pre covid that’s what happened to prem clubs. Prices inflated as people know they have cash. Look at Crystal Palace spending £20m on a Chelsea reserve centre back.
That's certainly a big factor although I wouldn't discount the part our commercially savvy Board/Director of Football played in these dealings.

Am I missing something here,he was with us 3 seasons,this would have been his fourth wouldn't it?
He probably signed a 3 and a half year deal so his contract would have ended this summer,so pretty much worth diddly squat in the transfer market

Can you imagine how good we would have been this season if we had managed to keep hold of the Spanish Gareth Bale.

I'm no Tindallphobe but I'd love to see a transcript of the meeting at the start of last season when it was decided that Zemura, Anthony and Kilkenny weren't up to it so we'd get in Long, Riquelme and Wilshere :oops:

Sounds like you might be a Tindallphobe tbh given the timings of these signings that you're laying at his door.

Sounds like you might be a Tindallphobe tbh given the timings of these signings that you're laying at his door.

so those three nippers weren't at the club at the start of last season to be given a chance so that the loanees wouldn't be required?
i've done no research.....

you get my point, though, right?

so those three nippers weren't at the club at the start of last season to be given a chance so that the loanees wouldn't be required?
i've done no research.....

you get my point, though, right?

He could have played them certainly, we've had the discussion previously about the development of youngsters and when they are ready to step in so who knows if they'd have been good enough a year ago.

My point was that he didn't decide at the start of the season to use those other players instead. Two of them didn't arrive until Jan/Feb. Wilshere played just 90 minutes under him and Long never played for him. Tindall also gave all of those youngsters a chance.

;