Do we need to strengthen in January?

I won't expect lots of signings as Eddie just doesn't do that! We also know the January market isn't easy, even Jose was saying the same thing yesterday. You either pay over the odds for the better players or have to look down a bit for some next level talent.

Everyone agrees that right back / right sided centre back, is desirable. As Garbo said, a nice little loan may be the best option, Clyne is a very good player who is getting no game time at the minute, maybe a good option as he can play football.

As for centre midfield, I also agree that beyond Jeff and Lewis, we are on slim pickings if we want to cement a top ten place at this level. But will be tough to get someone in I think. By that stage of the season, the clubs with suitable players may well be trying for good things themselves and very reluctant to let their better players go. And then you have to ask, do we want another Jeff or another Lewis style player.

I think we do,although Eddie doesn't usually get caught up in the January sales.

1 Today,with Jeff missing,we were left with Surs,Gossa,and L Cook.With Gosling pulling out of the game in the warm up,we were left with two centre minds in the whole squad.Obviously Jeff might get suspended again,so the engine room is one injury away from a crisis.

2 The right back position is yet again our weakest position,Franno ,although a great servant,is targeted by the opposition time and time again as he is so slow now.Also,if he gets injured,who plays there?

3 It looks like Eddie doesn't want to play Jermaine now,so why not get shot and spend some of his wages on a decent loan striker,maybe Solanke or someone of that ilk?

I think we are ok in the wingers department,and with Mings having a good game today,fingers crossed he could stay fit and start to challenge.

As an aside,I wonder how we would look with Mings and S Cook at centre back with Lerma and Ake alongside each other at Centre Mid ?

Agree. I have always stated that Ake would be of more use further up the pitch. He will always have a goal in him from being further up the pitch.

You said “ of course we have to “ just wondering what your thinking will happen if we don’t .
I would be forced to accept any decisions Eddie or the Owners make..hoping they have got it right. It seems the 20 points cushion at this stage will probably see us to mid table at least ...but then you could think that the likes of Saints are only 3 wins and 3 draws adrift of us...and if we lose a few more before xmas.....?
Yesterday's performance has kept me more positive tbf....but we can hope for insurances as well with transfers in January if they happen.

As Eddie has said before, he will only bring someone in if they improve the side and just as important if they integrate into a side where the players are like a ‘family’ on and off the pitch.

This is one of the strengths of our team, they all play for each other and not as you see sometimes at other clubs, which includes top name sides, where the players sometimes play for themselves, depending on their mood.

I won't expect lots of signings as Eddie just doesn't do that! We also know the January market isn't easy, even Jose was saying the same thing yesterday. You either pay over the odds for the better players or have to look down a bit for some next level talent.

Everyone agrees that right back / right sided centre back, is desirable. As Garbo said, a nice little loan may be the best option, Clyne is a very good player who is getting no game time at the minute, maybe a good option as he can play football.

As for centre midfield, I also agree that beyond Jeff and Lewis, we are on slim pickings if we want to cement a top ten place at this level. But will be tough to get someone in I think. By that stage of the season, the clubs with suitable players may well be trying for good things themselves and very reluctant to let their better players go. And then you have to ask, do we want another Jeff or another Lewis style player.
Loftus-Cheek ....

As Eddie has said before, he will only bring someone in if they improve the side and just as important if they integrate into a side where the players are like a ‘family’ on and off the pitch.

This is one of the strengths of our team, they all play for each other and not as you see sometimes at other clubs, which includes top name sides, where the players sometimes play for themselves, depending on their mood.
Spot on .

Isn't it obvious, we lack depth in RB, CB, CM and maybe we need another Winger. We need to let Defoe go, as much as i love and respect him, I would give Ibe half a season on loan at a championship club because i feel that there is a player in there somewhere and we should give him a chance to prove himself albeit in a lower division.

Furthermore, i think LB is a place we can strengthen, Rico i don't rate highly and Chaz is 31, Kieran Tierney from Celtic wouldn't be a bad shout.

At CB, Eddie should do his usual trick and sign a high performing championship youngster like Mepham.

At CM, i've been saying it for a while, i'll say it again, there is a 22 year old at Dundee FC called Glen Kamara and he is just like Lerma and we could pick him up for under £5m. People should really look him up.

Whatever happens, in eddie we trust... :utc:

I've heard it said by some pundits that the problem with loftus-cheek (ie the reason he hasn't progressed as far as he should thus far) is that he's not one for learning/sticking to a team plan, despite management efforts

talking of Ibe, he hasn't even made the subs bench in the last 2 games. Permanent departure in january from what I hear.

I've said on here before I expect us to go big on Mepham in January. After starting like a train Brentford look a mess and, even if they turn their form around, are a long way from even play off contention. It might be our best chance to get him give EH seems to rate him so highly.

The Arter situation is a shame. We brought in Lerma which should have meant our quality CM options actually had depth. However, personal circumstances intervened meaning in terms of depth we're back where we were.

As Smith will be back before the end of the season I'm not expecting a RB to join. As much as I would like one.

So, all in all, I think it'll be Mepham or bust for the window.

Mousset has been used in place of Defoe as sub in the last two games but he came on away at Newcastle and never really had a touch. If it's true he's on £105k pw I would try to loan him out. We could have three players for those wages!

Agree Ibe out on loan. We could do with another midfielder.

We need a combative right back. Clyne is a good shout. I was impressed with Nathan Byrne in Wigan's cup games last year. He would be a good addition.

I've said on here before I expect us to go big on Mepham in January. After starting like a train Brentford look a mess and, even if they turn their form around, are a long way from even play off contention. It might be our best chance to get him give EH seems to rate him so highly.

The Arter situation is a shame. We brought in Lerma which should have meant our quality CM options actually had depth. However, personal circumstances intervened meaning in terms of depth we're back where we were.

As Smith will be back before the end of the season I'm not expecting a RB to join. As much as I would like one.

So, all in all, I think it'll be Mepham or bust for the window.

Is funny how the new signings have worked. Last two seasons acquisitions have been great signings but have not addressed some of our weaker areas

In 16-17, the top 3 players in player of the season awards were king, s cook and boruc. We signed ake, begovic and Defoe who are 3 really decent signings but this displaced king for a while and then Wilson forced him wide; ake pushed cook to right centre back and he lost form; while begovic replaced boruc. This didn’t address other weaker positions.

This summer again theee top signings in brooks, Lerma and Rico. Arguably this has displaced two top performers from 17/18 in Lewis cook and junior.

6 great signings over two seasons but not the huge incremental lift in performances that might be indicated and still leaves us weak at right side of defence and defensive wide midfield in the mould of Ritchie and Pugh.

So right defence and wide midfield for me are where we should strengthen

We don’t need to strengthen. Even at RB, by the time the window shuts, Smith shouldn’t be far off returning if the stated timeframe is accurate.

However, sometimes the best time to improve is from a position of strength. There isbt such a need to hit the ground running and we can gradually ease a new signing in. Maybe a good time to bring in a young talent, perhaps another from abroad?

As a wild card, I’d suggest Victor Moses on loan. He’s very comfortable as a right wing back, and if Smith does make it back without complications, given Ibe’s lack of development, a more direct alternative to Brooks on the right side of the attack could be useful.

Some good constructive posts on here this morning; without some of the usual insults to certain players.
But...things have to move on whether We or Eddie likes it or not!

One thing I would say is...Franno, Charlie and Surmo get 10/10 for their efforts at City while they got a slight battering from some whiz players like Sane, Gundogan....and our mate Raheem! Kept it at 3-1 and not far from a shock....a la ref !
If we said that our older guys are still OK against Squatford and Palace for example....we also have to see that as a limited time before it becomes unfair to expose them to 'Any' other team.
I can't praise these guys enough....but we have at least 12 gruelling games each season to deal with!

Last edited:

;