Do we need to strengthen in January?

bigfatolly

Star Player
I think we do,although Eddie doesn't usually get caught up in the January sales.

1 Today,with Jeff missing,we were left with Surs,Gossa,and L Cook.With Gosling pulling out of the game in the warm up,we were left with two centre minds in the whole squad.Obviously Jeff might get suspended again,so the engine room is one injury away from a crisis.

2 The right back position is yet again our weakest position,Franno ,although a great servant,is targeted by the opposition time and time again as he is so slow now.Also,if he gets injured,who plays there?

3 It looks like Eddie doesn't want to play Jermaine now,so why not get shot and spend some of his wages on a decent loan striker,maybe Solanke or someone of that ilk?

I think we are ok in the wingers department,and with Mings having a good game today,fingers crossed he could stay fit and start to challenge.

As an aside,I wonder how we would look with Mings and S Cook at centre back with Lerma and Ake alongside each other at Centre Mid ?

Do we need to no .Would it be nice to yes .
I think this transfer window more than any other recently is going to be about keeping hold of players .

Of course we have to strengthen in January.....our lack of clean sheets tells us that! Like others have stated or hinted... that Jermaine is expensive for what his worth is if he doesn't play. I would get rid of him and Ibe and get two young high - acheiving Championship defenders as replacements for Franno and Charlie and ease them in before next season...take the pressure off our two heroes in their final period Obviously that has to be balanced against any moving on of Ake, Wilson, Fraser etc.....and if that happens we are inviting big problems!

We definitely need to strengthen. Right back is the only "must" position.

"It would be nice positions" are centre mid (x2 if possible) as upgrades to Gos and Surman and another CB to ultimately make Franno redundant, though I feel as if we could sign Paolo Maldini in his pomp and Cook and Ake would still be dropped before Franno.

Of course we have to strengthen in January.....our lack of clean sheets tells us that! Like others have stated or hinted... that Jermaine is expensive for what his worth is if he doesn't play. I would get rid of him and Ibe and get two young high - acheiving Championship defenders as replacements for Franno and Charlie and ease them in before next season...take the pressure off our two heroes in their final period Obviously that has to be balanced against any moving on of Ake, Wilson, Fraser etc.....and if that happens we are inviting big problems!

So if we don’t strengthen what does that mean ..Eddies F’ed up ? We’re broke ? Eddie often doesn’t deal until summer hope the bed wetting on here won’t be too extreme.

So if we don’t strengthen what does that mean ..Eddies F’ed up ? We’re broke ? Eddie often doesn’t deal until summer hope the bed wetting on here won’t be too extreme.
What does it mean if we don't deal.....F#ck knows Wallmouth ..f#ck knows....we only have the capacity to guess!

Definitely a very fine line with our squad to be honest.

The boys all put a shift in and try their best but we are a little weak in certain areas.

Was good to see Ming’s play today and he did alright given how little game time he’s had.

Blessing in disguise that Gosling was unavailable to be honest as I think those who played generally gave a good account of themselves.

L Cook doesn’t seem to be grabbing this opportunity by the horns like Brookes has.
The young bloke came on and tried, showed a bit of class here and there.

I think if we are going to buy in January we need some upgrades in the middle. Lerma I judged a bit early, but took him 3 or 4 games to know what it’s about. Now he looks like money well spent.

Surman, Gosling and to a lesser extent Stanislas don’t have much forward growth. Brookes Fraser and LCook maybe do.

Shame we only saw Mings play today as it was a containment exercise against the top team in the league. Think he would be more effective against the lower teams, the big 6 foot 5 brute who will contain and demoralise the likes of Huddersfield, Southampton and Newcastle.

Anyway, poor Eddie, he’s got a bit of a job on his hands, but even after 4 defeats on the bounce, you just know he won’t ever let the squad think they aren’t good enough.

So we will be fine, just tough runs like these do show the reality of our squad and it’s slight lack of depth.

Some tough games coming up, so we need a victory during the week.

I wouldn't, prices are just too high, we'd have to spend 15 mil for someone maybe good enough for the bench.
I'd wait until the Summer, sell Arter, Ibe, B Smith. Hopefully get 20 mil for them and then buy a center back who can play RB and a center mid. Should be enough if Mings starts playing well.
I don't think we need a Striker, King & Wilson is enough with Mousset to cover. Would be good to get rid of Defoe but doubt anyone will want to pay his wages now.

It a bit different now in this top league though isn’t it?

If you don’t stengthen with 15-20 million your 140 million pound ticket to riches has gone, and it’s a lot easier trying to stay here, than actually getting here in the first place.

We will be fine this year, but it’s much like a hot girlfriend, much easier to keep than to get her back once she’s left.

Time has caught up with us and Franno and Daniels were exposed as the weak links today albeit by the best team in England. Mousset isn't really cover doesn't fit into our style. Rico still unknown but Eddie doesn't seem to trust him. Mings Cook and Are a real bonus today.

That right back that has been discussed on here for 2 seasons now a priority. A bunch of nice guys hanging around taking their badges to add to the 545 apparently on the payroll not the answer and sadly Pughie is in that quota.

Given January inflated prices a couple of loans provided Eddie plays them and doesn't bed them in for 6 months.

...one would hope that Howe will be looking for a right back option?..but it could be a tricky task in the January inflated transfer window...possibly a loan from one of the big clubs...like Clyne at Liverpool or Walker-Peters from Spurs?

Roberts from Swansea please, I think he's simply better than Meopham and given what we saw from Mings, RB is a bigger concern than CB

I'll keep banging the drum for a right back or right-sided centre-back who can cover the full back role as I have done for seemingly years.

We also have to keep adding to the squad slowly, either with players who will automatically challenge for a first team place, or are young and full of potential but may take a season or two, to get there.

That's the only way to even stay still in the Premier League, if you don't there isn't much room to fall before you're in a dogfight at the bottom.

No point in just bolstering the squad for numbers sake.

Then there comes the question whether those players are available at realistic prices in January.

;