Dorothy (Dot) Curtis

My mum died yesterday, she was 92.

The reason I am writing on here is that she was a lifelong Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic Football Club and AFC Bournemouth fan.

She (and my dad, who died in 1980) was a stalwart on the New Stand - at the front close to the halfway line for many years. It was her that took me to my first game early in 1957 to see us play the mighty Aldershot Reserves. It was a very large crowd because they were selling tickets for some upcoming cup game. I was passed over the turnstiles, so they didn't have to pay for me and I had a little, home made wooden stool so that I could stand on it to see over the advertising hoardings (Those were the days)

Over the years her attendance has become more sporadic, mainly due to the fact that she moved away to Derby, after my dad died. But she maintained her avid interest in the club.

For the record her last home game (at 89 years of age) was our first game back in the Championship versus Charlton on 3rd August 2013, a 2-1 win.

Her last away match, she used to like travelling on the coaches to away matches in the 60s and 70s, was at Morecambe on 2nd May 2009 (last game of the season in the Great Escape year). A 4 - 0 away win!!

I will really miss discussing our fortunes with her and teasing her about her love of Wales football and rugby teams. My dad was Welsh and she took on his affiliation.

She was a true Cherries fan. :afcb:

and she liked a glass of wine or two. :beer2:

RIP

Parents are so precious AC and their loss leaves a big gap in your life. I really feel for you today.

Sincere condolences on your loss AC.

The New Stand supporters had a spirit all of their own many changing ends depending which way the team were kicking. All part of our history which should never be discounted.

In All Departments - 5/7/2016 10:52

Sincere condolences AC - a genuine pleasure though to read your post and reflect on my own parents and experiences too.

Echo those sentiments too - sorry for your loss AC.

You can be sure though that with those thoughts and memories, those no longer with us are never far away and always with us in our hearts.

Heck AC that's awful.

I guess that there's a whole stadium full of Cherries looking down on us now. I lost my mum four years ago - she was a season ticket holder, sat alongside me and my dad for many years ........ for some reason Wade Elliott was her favourite player - never worked that one out!

Sincere condolences to you and your family.

RIP Dot Curtis :afcb:

Sorry to hear about your loss. My mate (Best Man), also a Cherries exile died recently after a long illness. My first game was the same as you, a very large gate for a reserve game.

Sad to hear about your mother AC - you do paint a lovely picture of how AFCB was a strong part of your relationship. Discussing things like the fortunes of AFCB is one of the things I miss the most when I think about people who are no longer with us - I'd love to hear their opinions on the crazy last few years.

RIP

Condolences AC, like your mum did for you, my Dad took me to my first game, as I have done for my 24 yr old Son when he was 18 months old. When my Dad died in 1978, the Saturdays during the season were difficult. I would like to think that there is a massive (old style) Stadium up there, where those who are no longer here, can cheer on the team. All the best mate.

Many condolences. I shared on here when my Dad died in 2009 and it was a great comfort to acknowledge it to the Cherries family. Rest In Peace to your dear Mother.

AFCB hardly lost a match in the first 3 or 4 years after my Dad died (his last match was at 87 years old too, a youngster!)...I've thought many times if he can see us playing in the Premier League.

What I was eternally grateful for though as I'm sure you are, is the passion, the connection and the pleasure that he/she gave us and allowed us to share with them. My first game was in 1965, so I'm a newcomer!

As I say, many respects for your sad loss.

Harveykitten

I am sorry for your loss but thank you for sharing your warm memories. There have been two or three threads on here about being taken by dads (usually) and mums (sometimes) to games in the old Dean Court, an experience many of us share.

Keep smiling.

Sounds like you had a wonderful relationship and a special bond over football too. Condolences to you and your family. You will always have the amazing memories.

Sorry to hear of your loss AC - but what wonderful memories you will always have. And it sounds as though your mother had a great life!

So sorry for your loss AC and condolences to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your memories, your Mum sounds as though she was quite a character.

Really sad to here about your Mum AC, thank you for sharing.

We all know that AFCB is one big family, so many faces that we recognise that we have never spoken to, some we just acknowledge with a nod or smile not really quite knowing why, other than mutual respect thinking "I know you". I am sure I must of seen your Mum loads of times.

Cherish your wonderful memories.

RIP

;