Eddie Howe - An Alternative View

My concern is that this isn't just a bad bit of form, it's been going on for over a year now, 86th in the league out of 92 club for 2019 and he's had money to spend. As I've said I would give him a few more games and see how it's going. Any other club would of sacked him by now, we may get a bounce similar to Watford and Everton have through changing there managers. Can the board running our club afford not to make a change, that is the question they must ask themselves quite soon, harsh though it sounds with all he has done for our club.

Good post Brent (although alternative views should be alternative:grinning:)

The other key point is if worst case scenario we are going to be in the championship with squad reduction and starting again with young players this moves us back into Eddies forte. While I have wondered at times about his absolute elite level player and tactical management he can eat up lower leagues with young ‘inferior’ squads for fun.

I think in order to survive at the very top as a manager you probably need someone senior to take the decisions around transfers with you and new ideas coming through different coaches. You don’t necessarily need this in the championship either so relegation suits Eddies one man dominance style of preference and protects the team he wants to show loyalty to.

That said... I still don’t think we will go down although for the first time ever I now think that’s my optimism for my football club as opposed to fact. If we lose the next three league games without a fight after a ten day break we are probably gone I’d say but let’s play them first.

It’s If we stay up then we do need to look at Eddie and him at us I would suggest. He needs to adapt more if he is going to be a Premier League manager in my opinion. He doesn’t need to to be a success in the other three leagues.

If I could ask him a question the one thing I would love to know is where fear came from. We were fearless ( the common characteristic of anyone who over performs in any field). This year and last year (before the injuries so can’t heap everything on them) we became that safe fearful side we used to mock (often while beating them with style). Starting every game allowing the opponents to have the ball and looking not to concede, giving away every cup competition. Like West Brom or Stoke but crucially without those teams defensive responsibility or long ball to catch teams out.

Whatever we do in the next ten days I just want the gung ho to return. 2 goals in 7 games? We used to score that in the opening ten minutes with teams wondering what on earth had hit them.

I just want Eddie not to be fearful and safe anymore.... someone needs to remind him how ridiculously risky he used to be and where it got him.

Eddie is not immortal. He will have to go some time. Better to go now then to have relegation on his CV. He needs six months away from the game to re-boot himself and then get back into Management. But right now he must be on the edge of mental exhaustion and in no fit state to carry out the job. His decision making has been so erratic in the past month or so, I wouldn't trust him to turn on a tap.
And what will happen to this club financially when this club do go down with Eddie at the helm. Answer me that. Will we end up like Bolton?

Eddie is not immortal. He will have to go some time. Better to go now then to have relegation on his CV. He needs six months away from the game to re-boot himself and then get back into Management. But right now he must be on the edge of mental exhaustion and in no fit state to carry out the job. His decision making has been so erratic in the past month or so, I wouldn't trust him to turn on a tap.
And what will happen to this club financially when this club do go down with Eddie at the helm. Answer me that. Will we end up like Bolton?
We could end up like Bolton, or on the other hand we could end up like their local rivals Burnley.

I'd like Eddie to stay of course, like most people. The injuries are the main reason for our current predicament.

What does concern me is how we play against Watford, so long as we play well the crowd will be behind Eddie and the team but another uninspiring performance like that against WHU may get the moaners out in force. Whereas we just need to get right behind the team.

Still half a season to go so who knows what position we will finish in. Regardless of which league we will be in next season it is still our club. It is in our DNA. Back in the Benson era the loyal 2000/2500 still turned up because there was/is always next week. If those who jumped on board half way through the Championship winning season don't have it in their DNA go up the road.

I'd like Eddie to stay of course, like most people. The injuries are the main reason for our current predicament.

What does concern me is how we play against Watford, so long as we play well the crowd will be behind Eddie and the team but another uninspiring performance like that against WHU may get the moaners out in force. Whereas we just need to get right behind the team.
If the players show fight then the moaners can't really moan

Of course, it's the manager and not the limited squad at his disposal. Let's be real: we only tied Arsenal while beating Man United and Chelsea this year. Eddie obviously doesn't know how to manage at this level. Sure. Ridiculous.

I still believe this is the most talented team on paper I've seen at Bournemouth, although my run only goes back to when we were playing home matches in Dorchester. God could not consistently get performances in this League with 7 first teamers injured and 5 who are playing unable to train. And Eddie isn't God, although he's probably as close as we'll ever get as a manager.

This team is not going down. Well, as long as our medical staff stops underperforming. Towards that end, in case anyone with the team reads these forums, I beg you to please consider and contact these nice folks: https://sportshospital.com/why-mehilainen-sports-hospital/ .

When Beckham needed surgery he went to Turku, Finland. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juvenhtus, AC Milan and now Roma send their injured players to Turku, Finland. I lived in Turku for a few years. I had ankle surgery at the hospital there. The place kicks butt.

They fix lots of hockey players and, frankly, our players keep getting hockey type injuries. Forget Dubai and forget the States: Send our injured to Dr. Orava ( https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spo...ava-skilled-surgeon-to-soccers-biggest-stars/ ). Call it a second opinion, screw the diplomacy, let's get this team's injured to the BEST sports medicine clinic on earth. If it's good enough for Beckham, it's probably good enough for Brooks.

If we can get enough of the injured back by February we should be OK. Keep the faith. In Eddie I trust.

But I'm not impressed with both our injury and, of greatest importance, re-injury rate. That's where we need help. As a supporter, rather than a critic, I offer the idea we need to upgrade our medical consults and I can suggest where to go. Let's get our players the best medical care available, now, and get them truly healthy so we can have a party when we beat Saints on May 9th and prepare for another year in the Premier League.

Last edited:
I haven’t yet found the best stream to post this to, and this may not be the one, but...

In the home game against Wolves I was sat in the South stand behind the goal watching Wolves warm up. They did something quite different with their strike practices, basically a simple thing, they were meeting crosses from the left and right, and the finishing looked noticeably sharp. And so it proved.

At the time it struck me, because AFCB, and most other teams to be fair, just do one thing, the pass, layoff and shot. At West Ham, before the game our shooting in practice was anything but confident or consistent. It looked like we were going through the motions, as players (pretty much all of them) were carelessly missing the goal, or shots were straight at the keeper.

Maybe the warm up is just that, just relaxing some muscles and getting ready, but I wonder why in all these years we never see anything different.

I still think it is fine lines. Looking at the table just now, seeing how close the league is. A couple of wins like Watford and the Stains have put together from even lower points than us, suddenly can send you halfway up the league.

I'm praying that the West Ham game was the low point. Having no league game this weekend is perfect timing. By Watford, we could have a couple of players back and who knows, a new signing as well.

Just watching Steve Bruce in his press conference by the way, looking at the Newcastle injury list which is even worse than ours. They lost two players to muscle injuries in the last game too, he is saying it was a case of tired players having to play. So maybe our own issues are not *just* down to our medical processes.

our only hope is to get some first team players back, start creating some chances, and finish a few. the way we are playing currently... we have zero chance of staying up - we'll finish bottom.

;