Eddie Howe’s Signings

...Eddie's signings since PL...Okay? (not including loans!)

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

Ibe (still young and learning?)
Rico (still to adapt to PL and improve language)
Mousset (still young,raw and just needs more determination?)
Mings (unlucky with injuries, looks the part but time is running out maybe?)

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

...all in all it looks a fairly even split of good and not so good, and I would rate his record against most PL managers and th
ink that he was doing okay?

Glenn Murray was NOT a failure. The reason why he was unsuccessful with us was because we did not suit his style and play his game. Murray is comfortable playing in a 4-4-2 formation with balls being played into the box from both flanks and feeding off second balls. We tend to play down the front channels with the ball on the floor. Murray did not have the pace to operate in this way as a lone striker, a role that we often utilised him in. Brighton plays his game and that is why he is a prolific scorer with them.

We may, and I stress may, have got more out of Afobe if we had adopted the same system.

Glenn Murray was NOT a failure. The reason why he was unsuccessful with us was because we did not suit his style and play his game. Murray is comfortable playing in a 4-4-2 formation with balls being played into the box from both flanks and feeding off second balls. We tend to play down the front channels with the ball on the floor. Murray did not have the pace to operate in this way as a lone striker, a role that we often utilised him in. Brighton plays his game and that is why he is a prolific scorer with them.

We may, and I stress may, have got more out of Afobe if we had adopted the same system.
...so he was an Eddie Howe failure then?...

...Eddie's signings since PL...Okay? (not including loans!)

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

Ibe (still young and learning?)
Rico (still to adapt to PL and improve language)
Mousset (still young,raw and just needs more determination?)
Mings (unlucky with injuries, looks the part but time is running out maybe?)

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

...all in all it looks a fairly even split of good and not so good, and I would rate his record against most PL managers and think that he was doing okay?

Murray is still our only player to score at the Etihad.
Has a player really failed if Eddie doesn't play to their strengths?

I still don't know why we signed Defoe other than he came on a free.

Every manager is going to have a ratio of successes and failures. Buying in a player based on his performances at the selling club and expecting him to fit in with his new club is a difficult task. Mentality, playing preferences, relationships with others and family contentment in the new area can all come into it and can't be factored in before hand. The amount of successes EH has had shows me how carefully he selects and then nurtures his players.

The only sensible signing we have made in this window is Clyne as that position needed to be sorted out. I believe we have over paid for Solanke ((If he proves me wrong then fair play)). I have always been in favour of signing a centre back, but I believe Mepham will not be effective until next seaon as he has to adjust to the Premier League of which will take time.

You do ask for it sometimes don't you!

Mepham is a very sensible signing. Whatever you say about him, he has Championship experience, playing in a side that play great football. He is also a Welsh full international. While he may not be a CB that would start, he also could step in and play with no real issues too. Not too sure Brooksy needed much time to adjust??

As for Solanke, also a very sensible signing. Young, powerful, tons of potential, full international, I doubt we paid 19m up front and much will be performance based. If we he reaches those levels, that isn't too much money in reality. Aren't Cardiff paying 20m for an overseas striker I bet none of us have heard of??

Failure but only due to injury - cameo role at West Ham showed what his pace could do. But got a goal vs Swansea in a must win game too.

As for grabban, afobe and Murray they all did a job in that baptism of fire first season. Gave us depth on the bench after a number of injuries and Murray’s goals gave us 3 extra points (1 vs Watford and 2 vs Chelsea) and we only stayed up by 5! Afobe played a vital role in helping king score goals after a tough run of defeats in season 2 of the prem. Grabban did little but as other said got money for him.

Failure but only due to injury - cameo role at West Ham showed what his pace could do. But got a goal vs Swansea in a must win game too.

As for grabban, afobe and Murray they all did a job in that baptism of fire first season. Gave us depth on the bench after a number of injuries and Murray’s goals gave us 3 extra points (1 vs Watford and 2 vs Chelsea) and we only stayed up by 5! Afobe played a vital role in helping king score goals after a tough run of defeats in season 2 of the prem. Grabban did little but as other said got money for him.
It's a valid point that Kings most successful goal scoring run happened when Afobe was playing.

It's a valid point that Kings most successful goal scoring run happened when Afobe was playing.

I think afobe and king did well as a pairing; better than Wilson and king. Unfortunately afobe seem to lose his goal threat the following season

I fail to see the point of nurturing young talented players and selling them on as a ' business model' instead of using them ourselves.
IF the money was used toward a Stadium..that would be Ok if we could still survive on the pitch without that young talent being utilised!
But ideally the Football itself should be the Priority....if we are stuck with the small Stadium!

;