Eddie Howe’s Signings

You do ask for it sometimes don't you!

Mepham is a very sensible signing. Whatever you say about him, he has Championship experience, playing in a side that play great football. He is also a Welsh full international. While he may not be a CB that would start, he also could step in and play with no real issues too. Not too sure Brooksy needed much time to adjust??

As for Solanke, also a very sensible signing. Young, powerful, tons of potential, full international, I doubt we paid 19m up front and much will be performance based. If we he reaches those levels, that isn't too much money in reality. Aren't Cardiff paying 20m for an overseas striker I bet none of us have heard of??

Ask for what. I have made a very reasonable comment of I standby.

I fail to see the point of nurturing young talented players and selling them on as a ' business model' instead of using them ourselves.
IF the money was used toward a Stadium..that would be Ok if we could still survive on the pitch without that young talent being utilised!
But ideally the Football itself should be the Priority....if we are stuck with the small Stadium!

It’s worth considering that being a platform for young, highly talented players such as Ake, Brooks etc. to develop and showcase their talents before moving into bigger things will be what will help to get players of this calibre in the first place. I’d love nothing more than for these players to sign and then stay forever, but realistically that’s not going to happen.

It’s worth considering that being a platform for young, highly talented players such as Ake, Brooks etc. to develop and showcase their talents before moving into bigger things will be what will help to get players of this calibre in the first place. I’d love nothing more than for these players to sign and then stay forever, but realistically that’s not going to happen.
Exactly and we're starting to see other young players wanting to come here over saints etc, even with their infrastructure! We have to have a differentiator and that's eddie

The only sensible signing we have made in this window is Clyne as that position needed to be sorted out. I believe we have over paid for Solanke ((If he proves me wrong then fair play)). I have always been in favour of signing a centre back, but I believe Mepham will not be effective until next seaon as he has to adjust to the Premier League of which will take time.
Bloody hell......I had to read that 3 times to make sure....but yes I have to agree:thumbup:

I fail to see the point of nurturing young talented players and selling them on as a ' business model' instead of using them ourselves.
IF the money was used toward a Stadium..that would be Ok !
I think and sincerely hope that is the plan. Develop two or three players to bring in 150 million, then the stadium and training ground can be paid for without loans or outside investment. That is what I define as our probable business model, since we apparently don‘t have owners prepared to underwrite those sort of cheques. Seems like a good plan to me, especially when you have someone like Eddie who really enjoys helping players to improve. If the money gets pocketed or spunked up the wall, then of course I‘d prefer to keep the team together, obviously.
:utc:

I'm Out on this now.....completely and utterly consumed by my Dinosaur thoughts and sadly but clearly out of my depth on this Business stuff........I'm just thankful I was able to see Greaves and Clough play and Clough manage when I was much younger. Football was such a great ' sport' then.

I think and sincerely hope that is the plan. Develop two or three players to bring in 150 million, then the stadium and training ground can be paid for without loans or outside investment. That is what I define as our probable business model, since we apparently don‘t have owners prepared to underwrite those sort of cheques. Seems like a good plan to me, especially when you have someone like Eddie who really enjoys helping players to improve. If the money gets pocketed or spunked up the wall, then of course I‘d prefer to keep the team together, obviously.
:utc:
Look at the players that them up the road have brought up through their academy etc over the years. Problem is that their supporters will tell us that the money has disappeared. If we adopt a similar approach and get the training pitches and improved / new stadium out of it then so be it. That would be Eddie's legacy.

Can anyone stand up Eddies record against other Prem managers
There was a great article on the Beeb today showing all the January signings, where they came from and how they did.

Of players from the championship, Afobe scored I think twice as many if not more than all the other players brought into the PL from Champ clubs from January to the end of the season.

I think we came up pretty favourably.

I always thought of afobe and grabban as insurance policies in case we got relegated. I’d have thought both would stay with us and they are both excellent championship quality players.

We had a striker crisis and needed bodies. Afobe got the goals we needed and Grabban was only required in a couple of bit part appearances. We got where we needed to be, sold them both on and didn't really lose any money so they were hardly failures.

...Eddie's signings since PL...Okay? (not including loans!)

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

Ibe (still young and learning?)
Rico (still to adapt to PL and improve language)
Mousset (still young,raw and just needs more determination?)
Mings (unlucky with injuries, looks the part but time is running out maybe?)

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

...all in all it looks a fairly even split of good and not so good, and I would rate his record against most PL managers and think that he was doing okay?

King and Cook missing from that list. Two more successes.

I do think that one thing we've been ok at....is getting our money back in the majority of cases when a signing hasn't quiet worked out. Murray, Tomlin, Grabban, Afobe.... I think most clubs have successes and failures with transfers ....but if we can then pretty much get our money back when selling them on, it's not a disaster.

IF the money was used toward a Stadium..that would be Ok if we could still survive on the pitch without that young talent being utilised!
But ideally the Football itself should be the Priority....if we are stuck with the small Stadium!

Bill,

Dortmund have been a feeder club for the big teams in Europe for a number of years and they seem to be managing quite nicely.

Everyone is ultimately a feeder club to Real Madrid and Barcelona.

It’s the way of the world.

I like our new way of bringing in talented youngsters. Our old way of signing second rate PL players with slight egos was a nightmare. You can divide our PL signings into two eras more accurately than passed or failed players.

;