Eddie Howe’s Signings

billythekid

UTC Legend
Been calls from our fans for a while for another right back.

Eddie has delivered with the signing of Nathan Clyne on loan. He also has looked the part in a Cherries shirt.

Jermain Defoe left, Eddie signs another striker with potential from Liverpool in Dominic Solanke.

Now it looks like he may be getting a player to help booster our defence in long term target Chris Mepham from Brentford.

If this latest signing comes off, Eddie has stolen a lead in signings on other Premier League clubs.

The only sensible signing we have made in this window is Clyne as that position needed to be sorted out. I believe we have over paid for Solanke ((If he proves me wrong then fair play)). I have always been in favour of signing a centre back, but I believe Mepham will not be effective until next seaon as he has to adjust to the Premier League of which will take time.

Definitely agree, would be some excellent business and further progress in planning for the future and phasing out the old guard.
If Mepham comes here, as seems likely, we are showing the league that we are building for the future, snapping up young talent with the objective of nurturing them into something special.
As I've said before, with Eddie at the helm, buying promising youngsters, developing them into top players and then selling them on at a massive profit is the best business model and model for continued (relative) success for a club like ours.

The only sensible signing we have made in this window is Clyne as that position needed to be sorted out. I believe we have over paid for Solanke ((If he proves me wrong then fair play)). I have always been in favour of signing a centre back, but I believe Mepham will not be effective until next seaon as he has to adjust to the Premier League of which will take time.
And if it does take until next season to be 'effective' so what? Young player with lots of potential in a position where we need to improve. Not sure how that can be deemed as not sensible.

And if it does take until next season to be 'effective' so what? Young player with lots of potential in a position where we need to improve. Not sure how that can be deemed as not sensible.

I believe that we need a centre back that we can rely on 100% in the here and now. I am still not convinced that we are clear of getting into a relegation scrap, so in which case we need an accomplished centre back we can utilise now. Yes I agree that Mepham may well prove to be an excellent signing, but may well be a liability if we included him now in the starting line-up. To include him now we would have to drop either S.Cook or Ake and additionally he would not be accustomed to playing alongside people he has not played with. This, in effert, could weaken our back line and not strenghthen it.

Certainly has the attributes to be a success in the Premier League. Tall, quick, physical. Brentford are one of the more cultured sides in the Championship too, have a lot of respect for the way they play. Should be a smoother transition for him then, say, joining Burnley or something.

I still think that our main defensive issue is with a lack of support from midfield, rather than poor defensive players. Though that could potentially be sorted with a rejigging of formations, and the like.

Hopefully this doesn't stop Simpson from getting chances. Think he could be a top class player in the future. Lets not forget that he was awarded MoM for us vs City last season at the Etihad.

I'm skeptical of this signing, but if he does join then he'll have my full support, obviously. I was skeptical of Brooks too.

I believe that we need a centre back that we can rely on 100% in the here and now. I am still not convinced that we are clear of getting into a relegation scrap, so in which case we need an accomplished centre back we can utilise now. Yes I agree that Mepham may well prove to be an excellent signing, but may well be a liability if we included him now in the starting line-up. To include him now we would have to drop either S.Cook or Ake and additionally he would not be accustomed to playing alongside people he has not played with. This, in effert, could weaken our back line and not strenghthen it.
There is absolutely not a cats chance in hell of us being relegated this season so no, we don't need Mepham to hit the ground running. What we need is to shake off these injuries and start to get back to consistent team selections including a consistent back 4. Then we'll start to see our defence improve.

I believe that we need a centre back that we can rely on 100% in the here and now. I am still not convinced that we are clear of getting into a relegation scrap, so in which case we need an accomplished centre back we can utilise now. Yes I agree that Mepham may well prove to be an excellent signing, but may well be a liability if we included him now in the starting line-up. To include him now we would have to drop either S.Cook or Ake and additionally he . This, in effert, could weaken our back line and not strenghthen it.

You've put a negative slant on every thread you've posted on today.

Tell me this. You want a replacement CB we can rely on in the ' here and now' but don't want to drop Ake or Cook 'as it could weaken our back line'. Who would the '100% here and now player' replace then and where is he ? Is he on the '100% here and now tree ' that's loaded with spare PL quality centre backs all queueing up to sign for us... and if so how much do you think he would cost...you know an accomplished PL centre back ?

You also don't want him as he 'would not be accustomed to playing alongside people he has not played with' ......doesn't that apply to every new signing on the planet or just the one you want to put a negative slant on ?

Presumably you were against playing Brookes at the start of the season, than?

Please tell who , with your knowledge of all things football, you would suggest is available, who would immediately slot into the philosophy of the team and who wouldn't cost north of 30 million

Presumably you were against playing Brookes at the start of the season, than?
Probably, but then I think a lot of people did not see him as an immediate addition to the starting XI.
Over the past close season, there were calls for a turnover of the "old guard", those calls offset by others who said that wholesale changes were not necessary. But you only have to look back about 18 months to see the methodical improvement of the squad, Bego, Ake, Brooks, Lerma, Clyne, Solanke, Rico (jury still out on him) without really losing a lot of the stalwarts ... Ritchie, Tommy, Harry? For some reason, I find that an amazing testimony to Eddie's style.

...Eddie's signings since PL...Okay? (not including loans!)

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

Ibe (still young and learning?)
Rico (still to adapt to PL and improve language)
Mousset (still young,raw and just needs more determination?)
Mings (unlucky with injuries, looks the part but time is running out maybe?)

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

...all in all it looks a fairly even split of good and not so good, and I would rate his record against most PL managers and think that he was doing okay?

You’d have to include Tomlin and Grabban in the fails too. But even so, we recouped our fees on Tomlin, Murray and Grabban and made a profit on Afobe

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

...all in all it looks a fairly even split of good and not so good, and I would rate his record against most PL managers and think that he was doing okay?

Don't forget Grabban

FAILS

Afobe
Defoe
Murray

JURY STILL OUT?

SUCCESSES

Ake
Brooks
Begovic
Lerma

YET TO SEE

Solanke
Mepham?

Wouldn’t say afobe was a fail. Scored some key goals - game against Norwich, Swansea that were important in keeping us up. Got our money back on him.

;