Eddie is hurt

clintclease

First Team
I detected that Eddie was really emotional and hurt by the performance today. I think he will realise now that there is a significant degree of complacency in the squad and believe he will start to address this - although his immediate options are limited. Maybe Smith and Mings back in the team would go some way to fixing things in the short term. I think the club probably needs a "Mr Nasty' somewhere in the coaching structure that can snuff out the complacency that has been clear at times in each of the last three seasons.

I feel hurt and disappointed that many players are often not putting in 100% effort. That is why we still aren't safe. Once again many of us have spent a large amount of money on our season tickets and away games this year and we have rarely got value for money. I could name players that are sometimes verging on the lazy during parts of games but I am sure when Eddie looks at the tapes he will clearly see who they are and point it out to them - we don't need to publically shame.
Concentration is also another issue with some players. There can be no lapses of concentration in Premier League or you get well and truly punished.

Yes - hurt and trying to control anger. Can’t remember the last time he sounded like this.

I wonder if this reflects a feeling that Eddie’s loyalty to certain players isn’t matched by their efforts - that “ Together, anything is possible” isn’t getting the responses it once did? Is that a lack of focus and effort - or the inability of older players to reproduce form of four or five years ago?

Will E draw the conclusion that’s surely been staring at him throughout the season? ... time to act quickly with incomings and outgoings, and above all to bring in midfield leaders with grit as well as skill.

I should hope so, im hurt by it and so was everyone i met afterwards yesterday.

The reason Howe's tranfers have rightly always been tweaks and evolution is to keep a core of long serving players in the side, who've been on the ride with us, who can provide the character and leadership.

The longer serving players yesterday need to give themselves a serious look. Cook, Franno, Daniels, Wilson - all legends of the club. They singularly failed to provide that character or leadership or backbone to the side.

We've veen coasting for a while now which is also part of it.

It'll be a huge concern to Howe.

....some of the players are hanging on to their places due to the past heroics...effort is one thing but ability is another...some are on the wain. Eddie Howe will have to show his ruthless side over the summer and he is capable of that as we have seen with others like Grabban,Gradel and others.

I'm sure the Harry After situation has had some effect among the squad. The serenity/aura coming off Lewis Cook bothers me, a great young player, but something, something, is not right. Too much expectation? Seems strange that Eddie shied away from playing him and Harry together and with the industrious Gosling. In a normal situation that might have worked.
I'm wondering too, if Eddies intensive fitness thing in training is causing too many injuriies and the Dubai thing is encouraging laziness and complacency?
Eddies unique success would inevitably hit a brick wall of some sort ..it happened a few times with Clough and it's how he is able to tweak his own performance as well as players that will count.

Last edited:
There has been an air of playing down expectations of the fans/media a bit more this last 6 months from the team IMO.
After last seasons high finish and chat from a couple of players, media and fans about the possibility of getting near a European spot we had a bad start . Maybe because of the hype maybe not but the performances lacked that focus and cohesion that had become our trademark.
Is there a chance that the pendulum has swung too far the other way and the ‘just to be in this league’ is a huge achievement for ‘ a club like Bournemouth’ has resulted in complaincancy with regards to putting in consistent performances every week to prove our worth as a team? Which I think we use to do incredibly well at over many seasons.

Has the perceived over achievement plateaud ?
The achievement has not been through luck but the boys putting in every week so they deserve where they are , the next level is to achieve those efforts and mindset consistently

Instead of Dubai, how about a spell with these people.

The England squad experienced a different kind of boot camp over the weekend when manager Gareth Southgate arranged a top-secret trip to the Royal Marines' Commando Training Centre.

Twenty members of the England squad, along with key members of the Football Association's backroom staff, were whisked away on a surprise trip to the base in Devon on Friday and spent the next 48 hours in military uniform, completing a series of exercises designed for marine recruits.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...hrough-their-paces-at-royal-marines-boot-camp

He needs to get back to the two basics that have always served him well. Playing people in their correct positions and keeping a settled team. It’s a simple game.

Yesterday Fraser, King, Mousset and Daniels were playing in not their best position. We have a limited squad like most of the bottom ten and it will be hard enough with everyone in their correct positions so they have to play in the right spot.

We also change formation and personnel every game it seems.

Get those things right and a third central midfielder into the team and all will be ok. Arter allowed him to play two in the centre as he did the running of two men. Surman and Gosling can’t get close enough to people to close down.

Finally...he has to accept Defoe isn’t for his style of play and move his wages off the books.

He also needs to bring in a talent scout he didn’t play with or is related to.

My worry is that while all these are simple solutions, Eddie is notoriously stubborn.

....some of the players are hanging on to their places due to the past heroics...effort is one thing but ability is another...some are on the wain. Eddie Howe will have to show his ruthless side over the summer and he is capable of that as we have seen with others like Grabban,Gradel and others.

This...

For me, it's nothing to do with complacency as I don't believe these players go out weeks in week out, to not try their best... At teh end of teh match you could see the lads we're gutted about the result...

It's their ability levels as a group now, that is the concerning thing... Too many being carried by the few that are up for it. Both in the head and in skill.

Eddie wouldn't be drawn, yesterday, on leading questions about players not right in the had for the job at hand. He seemed angry but maybe he is realising that there are several players that are at the end of their journey as regulars for this club.

Daniels, Franno, Gosling, Surman, S.Cook (possibly too inconsistent) all seem to be regularly underperforming...

Then there are the new signings of Begovic (his decision making is beyond me at times), Mousett (Too weak), Ibe (just soooooo inconstant) and Defoe (Not his fault, but he's not right for us).

It's harsh to pick on players as no one really did enough yesterday, but I think inability of certain players is now becoming too apparent to ignore... Eddie has a troubling summer ahead to get us firing again...

Eddie isn't Jose or Pep (or Harry). He approach isn't to chuck it all out and buy new. His first step is always to work with what he has.

As others have said that's getting existing players back on top of their game through systems, positions or partnerships.

Also notable is that teams down our end doing well can be fairly crap as long as they have one player on top of their game. For us last year that was King. This season palace have Cry Wilf, WHU have Arnautovic (sp?) and so on. We've hit a patch where absolutely no one is on form. Maybe Eddie thought Defoe would be that player this season.

One or two key signings, a bit of right people/right system, a round of decent performances and results, the crowd behind the players and before you know it the same basic team is a whole different team.

There has been an air of playing down expectations of the fans/media a bit more this last 6 months from the team IMO.
After last seasons high finish and chat from a couple of players, media and fans about the possibility of getting near a European spot we had a bad start . Maybe because of the hype maybe not but the performances lacked that focus and cohesion that had become our trademark.
Is there a chance that the pendulum has swung too far the other way and the ‘just to be in this league’ is a huge achievement for ‘ a club like Bournemouth’ has resulted in complaincancy with regards to putting in consistent performances every week to prove our worth as a team? Which I think we use to do incredibly well at over many seasons.

Has the perceived over achievement plateaud ?
The achievement has not been through luck but the boys putting in every week so they deserve where they are , the next level is to achieve those efforts and mindset consistently

Don't forget that with our main game plan of just playing on the deck most teams have sussed out how to play us. It was all to see against West Brom in the first game of the season. Stop the full backs or wing backs going down the wings and our smaller forwards just don't get the ball or receive the ball with their backs to goal. I said then Defoe was a luxury who we couldn't really fit into our style of play.

;