Eddie must take the blame for that one

Newcastle did their homework and outperformed us by a mile. Wasn't expecting a win but they kept Wilson at bay and deserved their victory. Poor performance from us today. Wouldn't blame it entirely on Eddie though. Who else could he have picked other than Ibe?
The bloody mascot!!!!

No, it was started up to say that Eddie got it wrong. One of those decisions was to pick Ibe. That's Eddie's fault not Ibes.

No Druss....don't treat us like idiots....you started it purely to lay into Ibe. You said nothing in that opening post that wasn't slagging him off. And you had to start an entirely new thread to do it! Were the existing match and Ibe threads not enough for you?

Two separate threads discussing the merits of Ibe, says it all.

I think he’d struggle in the Championship.

Might be a bully in L1 if he could be bothered.

One way ticket to the National League.

No Druss....don't treat us like idiots....you started it purely to lay into Ibe. You said nothing in that opening post that wasn't slagging him off. And you had to start an entirely new thread to do it! Were the existing match and Ibe threads not enough for you?

?? This was to discuss Eddies decisions in this match, both before and during. Ibe is part of that, but it wasnt the whole story today.

I guess Eddie takes some of the blame, but anyone who saw the game could see how poorly virtually all our players did. The only ones who didn't stink were Begovic, Lerma (who got injured), and Gosling. Hard to say with Wilson, because he almost never touched the ball.
I find it hard to believe that Eddie is so fiendishly intelligent that he could come up with a formation that would make everybody pass like crap for the whole game.

...not saying that Howe gets everything right but you have to do what you think will win the game?....not sure he can make Franno cut out crosses, make Ake and Cook win every header, ensure that some of our players don’t give the ball away r make the right choices when attacking...let’s not forget Newcastle are fighting for points whereas we are probably a little too comfortable at the moment.King and Stanislas big losses for us then losing Smith and Lerma...Howe can’t legislate for that either.....just let’s get some perspective shall we and not go into meltdown and pick out individual scapegoats?

Last edited:
Surprised that Eddie left out Daniels and switched Smith just to accommodate Franno. Not sure if there’s something I’m missing.
To my eyes Franno needs to be playing at 100% of his game to put in a commanding defensive performance, always liked his ability to overlap going forward but playing behind Ibe (who struggles to see what’s going on) surely that’s a bit of a risk?

Surprised that Eddie left out Daniels and switched Smith just to accommodate Franno. Not sure if there’s something I’m missing.
To my eyes Franno needs to be playing at 100% of his game to put in a commanding defensive performance, always liked his ability to overlap going forward but playing behind Ibe (who struggles to see what’s going on) surely that’s a bit of a risk?

I have the same concerns, just because Smith has worked out how to not be terrible on the left doesn't mean he should be played out of position for it.

As a CB Franno is pretty solid IMO, as a FB he's got all the technical ability but doesn't really have the pace to not leave gaps. The modern FB is largely a young man's game.

Last season we had the issue of no LB so we converted Smith and got Rico. Now we got Smith, Daniels and Rico queueing up the play on the left and just Francis on the right.

Maybe we now convert Daniels to RB?:unsure:

Like you I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing. Does playing on the wrong foot means FBs will drift inside when in possession or something...?

We always looked strong with Fraser and Brooks on the wing and King with Callum.. surely putting Mousset in for King was therefore the best way?

We have a strong first team with mediocre back up. That’s not unusual for a small team really...who wants to be a long term reserve for a team outside the big six?

Eddie has stopped trusting Mousset which means he has gone backwards from last year. (This may well be Moussets fault so don’t take it I am blaming Eddie). He doesn’t even start cup games.
Seen him in the cup games doesnt seem to have gone backwards he hasnt been given the chance

Ibe has also gone backwards. I don’t understand why he plays when he was so abject in the cup games. No point in giving cup success up to see the reserves if you don’t follow through by picking the ones that shine.

Defoe is incapable of playing for us and Eddie doesn’t trust him either. Did he touch the ball today.

This means when King and Stan aren’t available our ability to keep the ball and stretch teams with pace is gone.

Ibe needs to go out on loan and if we can’t get Mousset firing we need another striker in Jan.
we play dont play the right way to get defoe the opportunities to score for example expecting a 5'7" to beat a 6'+ in the air.

also how dare you question the chosen one

I have the same concerns, just because Smith has worked out how to not be terrible on the left doesn't mean he should be played out of position for it.

As a CB Franno is pretty solid IMO, as a FB he's got all the technical ability but doesn't really have the pace to not leave gaps. The modern FB is largely a young man's game.

Last season we had the issue of no LB so we converted Smith and got Rico. Now we got Smith, Daniels and Rico queueing up the play on the left and just Francis on the right.

Maybe we now convert Daniels to RB?:unsure:

Like you I feel like there's something obvious I'm missing. Does playing on the wrong foot means FBs will drift inside when in possession or something...?

We started the season with two for each position to be fair to Eddie plus emergency cover for all four in Ake, Fraser, Mings and Lerma.

That’s not bad going. The issue was that Rico wasn’t ready when Daniels got injured so Smith on his wrong foot was a better bet and has been generally outstanding. Franno has been good too until yesterday. Our fans are harsh on him. Like he should stop the worlds best wingers every time...but we don’t expect Fraser to be stopped every time and he isn’t. Wingers get past full backs regularly...even the best full backs...that’s football and it always has been.

We are now in the same position as if Smith had been playing at right back and got injured. We are not going to have a world class reserve right back at our size a club.

?? This was to discuss Eddies decisions in this match, both before and during. Ibe is part of that, but it wasnt the whole story today.

??? - not the first time you forgot what you said in the last few days Druss....maybe a nice sleep last night will sort your memory issues out.

??? - not the first time you forgot what you said in the last few days Druss....maybe a nice sleep last night will sort your memory issues out.

Did you need me to repost the original comment or can you not be bothered to go back and read it so you can continue to ignore my points?

We started the season with two for each position to be fair to Eddie plus emergency cover for all four in Ake, Fraser, Mings and Lerma.

That’s not bad going. The issue was that Rico wasn’t ready when Daniels got injured so Smith on his wrong foot was a better bet and has been generally outstanding. Franno has been good too until yesterday. Our fans are harsh on him. Like he should stop the worlds best wingers every time...but we don’t expect Fraser to be stopped every time and he isn’t. Wingers get past full backs regularly...even the best full backs...that’s football and it always has been.

We are now in the same position as if Smith had been playing at right back and got injured. We are not going to have a world class reserve right back at our size a club.

I don’t mean to bash Franno, he’s a real good professional and has been fantastic for us. Easy to forget he’s 2 years older than Pughy!
I just think that now, in this league, his comfort on the ball is being exposed.

;