Eddie to Celtic?

Garbo

UTC Legend
...apparently our man could be on their radar? He is seen as a similar manager to Rodgers, which is true in many ways.

The lure of a big club and European football may tease Eddie a wee bit?

Huge backward step. Sad to say it as Celtic are a massive club but, until there is a Euro super league, the prem is the place to be.

I think he could be. You'll breeze the league and have a chance to compete in Europe. As long as you don't totally balls it up you'll always be able to move to another PL club and you're then more likely to get approached by the big boys.

Rodgers move to Leicester doesn't paint the picture imo, Leicester are heavily investing in their training facilities, youth etc. everything that Brendan Rodgers would enjoy and who knows what other promises have been made to him? To put us on the same peg as Leicester and then call it a backwards step isn't correct imo.

...the thing is I do worry that we will, or are, not going to match Eddie's ambition?

Celtic, despite the fact that Scottish football gets ridiculed by comparison to english, are a massive worldwide football club attracting massive exposure.
The prospect of that would be of interest to someone who might get frustrated waiting for real structural improvement?

Not sure their fans would be overly happy with a polite and slightly 'posh' sounding southern Englishman? They tend to wear their whole 'angry Celt' vibe pretty proudly, we all see the nonsense that goes on from their fans. I think they'd struggle to warm to Eddie. The likes of Martin O'Neil and Neil Lennon throwing bottles around and making their presence felt on the touchline seems more their cuppa tea. Eddie studiously and quietly standing there soaking up a game and mulling it over would get their heckles up the first moment things didn't go well.

Not sure what Howe would think he'd achieve there. Winning various Scottish pots obviously, and winning silverware is something that's unlikely here (Championship aside). So how much does winning Scottish silverware actually mean? It might be something he'd like on the CV, don't really know. How does it weigh compared to his well publicised personal aims for AFCB? Only Eddie can answer that.

One thing we can judge with more evidence is how player recruitment compares. We know Howe loves his technical coaching day to day, that's what he lives for. Being able to recruit talented young lads who he can develop is what he wants from a job. So does a bigger club with less money but an exotically wide recruitment net trying to find value, or a smaller club with more money but mostly focused on British and (more recently Spanish) recruitment, lend itself better to that? Comparing recent signings suggests we might have an edge there. As when at their previous clubs, the likes of: Cook, Brooks, Solanke, Ake, Lerma wouldn't have been going to Celtic, for the money it required to get them. And we already seem to be developing another Howe recruitment plan for the summer if links to Mason Mount are to be believed.

I guess the commute from his roots here might not actually be such a big deal, flying up and down might well be better than driving to northern England. And whilst I don't know much about Celtic's training facilities, it's a fair bet they're much better than ours.

Last edited:
I think he could be. You'll breeze the league and have a chance to compete in Europe. As long as you don't totally balls it up you'll always be able to move to another PL club and you're then more likely to get approached by the big boys.

Rodgers move to Leicester doesn't paint the picture imo, Leicester are heavily investing in their training facilities, youth etc. everything that Brendan Rodgers would enjoy and who knows what other promises have been made to him? To put us on the same peg as Leicester and then call it a backwards step isn't correct imo.

Money, Money, Money.
Gerrard will do the same if a EPL club would offer him a job.

Money, Money, Money.
Gerrard will do the same if a EPL club would offer him a job.

Come on, they're just about to open one of the most expensive and best training facilities in Europe. That has to be a draw for any manager and if they're investing that into training facilities, what's to say they won't have a big budget for transfers?

Eddie seems to enjoy the challenge of improving young players and improving his side season by season.

If he went to Celtic they always win the league season after season.

I think Eddie enjoys seeing the fruition of all the hard work he has put in at our club since taking charge and the gradual improvement by moving up from one league to another, until getting to the highest league in our country.

Also the big bonus for Eddie he has done it at the club he supports and played for as a youngster through to the first team.

Myself as a fan of many years of this club have enjoyed watching a fellow countryman do this and not a manager from another country.

One day he may well be the England manager.

The Scottish league is just somewhere failed managers and players go to rebuild their career before another crack at PL.....have a look at their past 9-10 managers ....where are they now?.....not somewhere for an ambitious manager like Eddie.....besides he's not going to move north again anyway.

I don't really think he'll go so I'm mainly playing devil's advocate, but @billythekid, why wouldn't the chance of improving in Europe year on year be just as appealing as trying to get an extra point than the previous season in the PL whilst also winning trophies?

I don't really think he'll go so I'm mainly playing devil's advocate, but @billythekid, why wouldn't the chance of improving in Europe year on year be just as appealing as trying to get an extra point than the previous season in the PL whilst also winning trophies?

Fair point. All about opinions, think Eddie would gain more satisfaction getting us into Europe than improving Celtic there.

;