Eddie to Celtic?

This guy has been writing about Scottish football since 2008.

This is his take on it.

In the end it will all come out in the wash and we will know.

https://philmacgiollabhain.ie/2021/04/03/eddie-howe/
All this speculation, it sounds like Eddie will be announced next week, but JT as assistant sounds unlikely. The stories about cook are just pure speculation, they got his contract situation all wrong and have put 2 & 2 together. We all know Eddie never reveals his targets.
Yes he could come in for cook, but will have to pay

Its just not going to happen is it ...I've already eaten 3 hats thinking about it...if his missus has it right she will de-google the wholecrazy idea - lock him in the garage until the Palace job is on range !
Can you see it..Our Little Ed against a backdrop Sea of Mint ...and hiding in the Shield and Dagger down Partick High St..if the Thistle knock em out the Donald Duck Cup?

If he takes the job, there could be a few Eddie ‘old players’ who go up there in addition to Cook. Ritchie, Grabban and maybe even Wilshire for starters.

I wonder if he’s still got Rantie’s phone number ;)
I think in that league even Tomlin and Ibe would pull up trees

Could be a lose lose situation tbh. Go there as Celtic manager and he will be expected to start winning everything from day one but Rangers might be taking over and anything but winning the title will be deemed a failure even in his first season. Bigger English clubs would see failure as he was never good enough and if he does well they will say it’s only Scotland.

Could be a lose lose situation tbh. Go there as Celtic manager and he will be expected to start winning everything from day one but Rangers might be taking over and anything but winning the title will be deemed a failure even in his first season. Bigger English clubs would see failure as he was never good enough and if he does well they will say it’s only Scotland.

That wasn’t Brendan Rogers experience but I agree that Scottish football tends to be cyclical, Rangers will take some stopping and if he doesn’t win the league he will be curtains. He had the ability to out think Gerrard though.

That wasn’t Brendan Rogers experience but I agree that Scottish football tends to be cyclical, Rangers will take some stopping and if he doesn’t win the league he will be curtains. He had the ability to out think Gerrard though.

Rogers was very much the exception to the rule in recent times. He may go there and win a couple titles and be back in the prem in a couple seasons. I could see Gerrard off soon as well

Makes sense to me for him to go to Celtic a great chunk of the current team are out of a contact or on loan so it’s a chance to rebuild a giant of a club whilst implementing his brand of play vs taking over a mid table prem team eg Palace where he would have to be parking the bus for a larger chunk of games

Would also prove he can manage a club with a higher budget relative to the league .

The guy literally dragged our club from where it was with many many people benefitting along the way or enjoyed the ride surely we can all have a second team to watch out for .

Much more win, win win to me than the lose lose thoughts above .

Last edited:

Without meaning to sound pernickety, assuming someone like Palace is his next role, if he fails there bigger English clubs are likely to say that anyway and he will fall into the mould of someone to get promotion from the championship and re-prove himself at the top level.

IMO Celtic has more upside because European football of some sort is pretty much guaranteed (which somewhere like Palace is not) and if he shows his talent at that level it opens up a wider array of opportunities.

Re
Makes sense to me a great chunk of the current team are out of a contact so it’s a chance to rebuild a giant of a club whilst implementing his brand of play vs taking over a mid table prem team eg Palace where he would have to be parking the bus for a larger chunk of games

Would also prove he can manage a club with a higher budget relative to the league .

The guy literally dragged our club from where it was with many many people benefitting along the way or enjoyed the ride surely we can all have a second team to watch out for .

Much more win, win win to me than the lose lose thoughts above .

Re Palace - do they not have a lot of players out of contract too this summer? I wonder if there is much chance of a larger budget if Hodgson goes ?

He needs to start winning wherever he goes tbf. There's inevitably big questions over whether he can do it outside of Bournemouth and these won't be answered until he is successful somewhere. Celtic is as good a place as any in my opinion, although I am admittedly biased. I don't like the idea of him doing well at any other English club whereas Celtic/Rangers don't bother me.

He needs to start winning wherever he goes tbf. There's inevitably big questions over whether he can do it outside of Bournemouth and these won't be answered until he is successful somewhere. Celtic is as good a place as any in my opinion, although I am admittedly biased. I don't like the idea of him doing well at any other English club whereas Celtic/Rangers don't bother me.

Agree, I'd like him to go abroad if he has to go somewhere. I suppose Scotland will do as a second option. Seeing him somewhere else in England would be like living next door to your ex and their new partner.

I'm sure Eddie won't want to upset our play off chances with talk about players he might want to sign.

How can you be sure? For all we know, he was jilted last summer and could be resentful and might want to remain the only manager in our history to take us into the top flight?

I'm not claiming this is the case, merely asking why you're so sure. After all, he took Ings and Bartley from us when he went to Burnley. Add in Stock, Vokes and McQuoid and he clearly likes to bring in players with whom he has worked in the past. Plus the coaching and scouting members of staff.
Edited to add Jon Stewart, goalie.

Last edited:

;