Eddie to Celtic?

Interesting piece on why appointing Richard Hughes as director of football might not be a good idea.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/eddie-howe-richard-hughes-could-23879234
Very good argument. The director of football should be independent of the manager because the club needs him to stay on whenever the manager leaves for a better offer or gets the heave-ho. The DoF is a long term role and managers should be able to come and go without the club having to sacrifice its DoF.
Understandable that EH would want an ally up there but Celtic would be unwise to take Hughes as DoF. Maybe they will make up a new position just for him to be on EH's staff somewhere, if it's going to be a dealbreaker.

EH is probably starting to realise that there are very few jobs where the club is prepared to put so much power into the manager's hands as we did in his time with us. It will be interesting to see if Palace see things differently but I think it's unlikely.

We were very unusual in putting our whole destiny into one man's hands. The worry with that is, what happens when that man moves on ( and usually takes his carefully assembled staff with him ) ? I think this season shows that it is no easy task to then avoid total chaos. Under the circumstances we've absorbed EH's leaving pretty well tbf. I was expecting much worse, so some credit is due somewhere - I think ;)

In retrospect, JT staying here after EH left was probably the stability we needed to somehow muddle through following EH's departure. Things were still far from great but at least we didn't implode completely.

What could be more local than ....;)

“Maybe he’s had an inkling of something more local,” he told Football Insidercorrespondent Adam Williams.

According to an ex striker of ours he has signed for a Premier League club, one with a shitty ground and presently a near octogenarian manager.

According to an ex striker of ours he has signed for a Premier League club, one with a shitty ground and presently a near octogenarian manager.

Wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Palace.

Commutable distance, no upheaval for his young family. Working (living?) in Glasgow could have big impact on his family.

I think most thought he would go to Palarse. Size wise an ideal step, if he can do well there it would be a shop window for one of the big clubs. If he fails, then hey, back to Championship maybe. :)

I think it's nailed on, hence EH's camp saying he will not return to management before the summer. Roy will retire and EH has already been lined up to replace him. That would be my bet and good thinking by the Palace board too !

I think most thought he would go to Palarse. Size wise an ideal step, if he can do well there it would be a shop window for one of the big clubs. If he fails, then hey, back to Championship maybe. :)
Very interesting job. Most of squad out of contract. One star player who has wanted out for a while. Could be a complete rebuild.

Reasonably long piece in their paper on why EH might be having second thoughts.

If Eddie Howe was already having second thoughts about jumping into life the fast lane at Celtic then these last few days won’t have done much to win him over.

He’s not even stepped over the border yet but already he’s being blamed for an impending car crash in Glasgow’s east end on the basis that he may be about to turn down an offer he’s simply not supposed to refuse.

Nice Guy Eddie is already being presented by some as a pantomime villain for doing nothing more than considering his options and making sure he doesn’t do more harm than good to a club which is in desperate need of a fresh sense of direction.

Dermot Desmond may have made him Celtic’s first choice for the job but If Howe cannot convince himself that he is the right man for it then he’ll be doing the Irishman a solid by staying put on the south coast and leaving it to someone else.

The trouble here, in terms of perception at the very least, is the reason behind Howe’s apparent hesitancy.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...s/eddie-howes-celtic-hesitancy-helps-23894057

Eddie is competitive. It seems to me that he wouldn't enjoy having only four truly competitive league games per season to prepare for, together with 30+ other games of non-existent or limited challenge, even if this means having a chance to play in a European competition - which they have zero chance of winning.

He was never going in the first place...making this a most boring thread...almost ever...apart from the Demerai Gray one..
Maybe Eddies not Catholic...and the fans put pressure on...they've had non Catholic heretics before I think but rarely...and they wouldn't like it one bit.
..it doesn't fit with the stupid religious chants they exchange with the equally stupid religious Rangers mob.
And I don't believe Eddie would have signed Demerai for Celtic...maybe Defoe haha!
I could expand on this but would hate to seem boring.
Leaves the question...Eddie for Palace ?....or Southend ?....Pompey would be my choice if its still open..

Apart from it being convenient in London, Crystal Palace looks like a poison chalice kind of job to me.

Ageing squad, a tonne of them out of contract, one star who will leave. There’s no nucleus to build around, no real potential and yet will be expected to stay up and have no ambitions of anything else. One of those unfashionable clubs built on legacy rather than anything else.

I don’t see it as an attractive option at all.

Apart from it being convenient in London, Crystal Palace looks like a poison chalice kind of job to me.

Ageing squad, a tonne of them out of contract, one star who will leave. There’s no nucleus to build around, no real potential and yet will be expected to stay up and have no ambitions of anything else. One of those unfashionable clubs built on legacy rather than anything else.

I don’t see it as an attractive option at all.
It’s a Prem job. He hasn’t got many options tbh. No chance at a big six club. What other jobs are there?

I heard this morning via an ex AFCB player who shall remain anonymous that EH is lined up for scummers at the end of the season. They are apparently unhappy with rabbithutch because of their inconsistency and they basically haven't got any better.

;