End of season clear out

Progboss

First Team
Is it time to start a rebuilding of the squad releasing those who are fringe players and start afresh even to let players go so they get match time. The likes of Brad Smith, Hyndman , Grabban, Afobe Boruc and the other keepers all need to play but not good enough so is a big clear out due. Then you have players like Arter Pugh Francis Surman all capable of playing on but in the premier league.
Hate to see players we have supported go but is it time for the next generation to take us forward

Grabban and Afobe have one foot already outside the club. Eddie will make the right decisions about who to let go.

Rather than who leaves, the bigger issue is who does Eddie sign?

For players to leave, they need to be wanted by someone else or out of contract... I've no idea who is in the latter camp, but take Grabban, for example... I am sure we've been trying to offload him for a while... wages probably are the biggest sticking point with him...

I agree that we need to move some players on if we can, but we cant just offload half the squad and bring in new faces... Eddie will probably look at 2 or 3 new players for the starting XI and then a couple of development lads... I reckon money is not so free flowing these days... A lot of off-field stuff that needs to be paid for...

For me, its a CB, LB and CM... That would do me... and keeping hold of Ake and L.Cook.

It's a process that has started now that we've finally cemented Cook and Ibe into the side as regulars, Ake and Begovic too. But there's definitely a lot more to do, and the concern is how many more Akes and Cooks can we afford given all the other stuff we're trying to do? Do we have to squeeze further year(s) out of the old guard as regulars or semi regulars?

I'm sure Grabban, Afobe and Arter will all go and raise some 15m to reinvest, in maybe 1-2 starting 11 standard players, ideally central midfield or defence.

Boruc will leave freeing up some wages. Surman and Pugh I think will stick around unless either specifically wants first choice football, in which case they'll have to drop to the Championship, but on the face of it both seem content as senior pros around the club? I'd like to see them both stay another year I think.

Hyndman we've no idea what Howe plans for him and whether he's still seen as a future starter or not. I can't say I've been inspired seeing him play cup and the odd reserve game. Maybe our US based friends can tell us whether he's impressing any in the US setup?

Brad Smith was a very crap buy, but he's got another 2 years on his deal, nobody is going to take him permanently and he's not even shown any ability against Championship level opposition to get a loan.

Then there's Gradel out on loan currently. He probably has the quality to be part of our squad, but does he have the temperament to graft and work his way into Howe's thoughts for starts? If he wants a permanent move to Frrance, few French clubs have much money so we won't recoup any substantial sum.

Francis - he's form has perked up lately, but there's only so long he can be captain and starting every week. Especially at full back but even as a centre back. Definitely someone to keep on the bench for experience in seeing out games though. That'd be a perfect role for him in future.

IF we can strengthen full back, central defence, and central midfield then we'll have a pretty tidy squad. Keeping hold of L.Cook and Ake will be a challenge and will become more challenging as time goes on, but that's the trouble with having such quality players. I'm hopeful we'll keep both for now.

I don't think Hyndman will be going anywhere, unless it's on loan. I think he's been earmarked as an important player in years to come. No inside knowledge, just a feeling.

Grabban has been on his way out almost since he arrived back so no news there. Afobe has made his bed and so that was very much his choice. I've a feeling Wolves will pass on him and he'll be at another Championship club next season.

Boruc is an interesting one. He's 38 and would still be very handy to have in the squad if he wanted to accept being number 2, as that's what it would mean. I think I read on here that he has school age children in which case he may prefer the stability rather than uprooting them. Who knows but I would be happy if he wanted to stay!

It feels like Arter is the most likely to move on but that's mainly from rumblings on here and making leaps based on the change in academy name. Again, I hope he stays but I'm starting to feel he might not.

I think Surman and Francis are here until retirement. Again, no inside knowledge just my feeling. The Pugh situation is hard to read. No rumours of discontent but that doesn't mean he's happy. Don't forget Max is still out there somewhere and needs a permanent new home.

As for Brad Smith, well I've no idea at all what to make of him. We've barely seen him and, even though in those flashes he hasn't looked overly inspiring, it's a bit harsh to make the judgement when he hasn't had a run of games. Has he been injured this season or just nowhere near the team?

Brad Smith: Not seen enough, he’s only 23 though I’ll leave it up to Eddie on this one
Hyndman: Absolute legend when playing for Rangers. Strong potential & would be totally ludicrous to release him at only 21 IMO.
Grabban: Not good enough or simply out of confidence in his last spell with us? If he wants to play for us I say give him half a season with the momentum he’s built from the Championship. If he wants to play elsewhere he will be released regardless.
Afobe: As per Grabban, if he can find form. A confidence player and still only 25, gives us a different option when playing well and getting the support from midfield.
Boruc: We’ll never have a better #2. How can you play all your keepers in the first team?

Arter, Pugh, Francis, Surman: All great squad players with proven ability in the PL (so yes they are capable, maybe you mean they are no longer consistent?). If Arter can get back to his best he would be more than good enough for the first team. We don’t know what’s going on in his head right now, again I trust Eddie on this one. The rest are good enough to make up the numbers.

People think that by clearing out players from the squad we will automatically attract better players. We’re just not going to be able to compete for the very best players in the country unless we are taking risks that other clubs are unwilling to take. Part of that is attracting ‘the next generation’ as you say but younger players need years to hone their skills alongside more experienced counterparts.

Don’t get me wrong I do think that we need to become less reliant on some of the old guard (I include Charlie Daniels & Steve Cook in that) but it needs to be a careful phasing out over a few seasons rather than a cull.

If Saints go down would they be interested in Arter and Surman or even Grabban. Their experience of championship success might be an attraction.

billythekid - 19/3/2018 09:44

Do we have any good youngsters coming through the ranks?

Eddie seems to think perhaps the best two are Jack Simpson and Kyle Taylor

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15982915.Teen_ace_Taylor_is_one_to_watch__says_Howe/

kirsikka - 19/3/2018 09:00

As for Brad Smith, well I've no idea at all what to make of him. We've barely seen him and, even though in those flashes he hasn't looked overly inspiring, it's a bit harsh to make the judgement when he hasn't had a run of games. Has he been injured this season or just nowhere near the team?

I feel sorry for him - only gets cup games here, and every time he plays for Australia he comes back injured.

northstandmark - 19/3/2018 09:47

Eddie seems to think perhaps the best two are Jack Simpson and Kyle Taylor

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/15982915.Teen_ace_Taylor_is_one_to_watch__says_Howe/

Hopefully they both make the grade and will in time be part of our first team squad.

Good to see a player wearing a Cherries shirt who has come through our ranks, rather than having to look outside the club.

I've been impressed with Sam Surridge when I watched him in the U21's prior to his loan to Yeovil.

...not sure we will get a clear out, so we can only speculate and discuss what we all think should be 'let go'

...problem isn't necessarily letting players go but attracting new players in, who will improve on what we have and not cost a king's ransom?

Ideally as we get more established and known as a PL club our stock will rise, but then so will the wages, agents charges, and transfer fees etc...

all a bit of a conundrum until we can increase our income with a bigger stadium I fear?

my players to replace/let, and those who probably will move of their own accord would be;

Artur Boruc
Harry Arter
Lewis Grabban
Benik Afobe
Andrew Surman
Marc Pugh
Brad Smith
Adam Federici
Ryan Alsopp
Sam Surridge

...I would also wonder about Simon Francis and Charlie Daniels longevity, if chance of a final payday came from another club?

I think Hyndman/Mahoney/Mings and Simpson will form part of our future development...

That leaves a core squad that would need significant expenditure (that we may not have?)

..whatever it will be an interesting summer for the club!

:lovein:

paul49 - 19/3/2018 10:27

I've been impressed with Sam Surridge when I watched him in the U21's prior to his loan to Yeovil.

Saw him on the TV against Man U earlier this year.

Only 20-years-old in July, 6’ 3” and 12 stone.

Certainly a big lad and would give us height up front if he makes it into our first team squad.

Garbo - 19/3/2018 10:28

...not sure we will get a clear out, so we can only speculate and discuss what we all think should be 'let go'

...problem isn't necessarily letting players go but attracting new players in, who will improve on what we have and not cost a king's ransom?

Ideally as we get more established and known as a PL club our stock will rise, but then so will the wages, agents charges, and transfer fees etc...

all a bit of a conundrum until we can increase our income with a bigger stadium I fear?

my players to replace/let, and those who probably will move of their own accord would be;

Artur Boruc
Harry Arter
Lewis Grabban
Benik Afobe
Andrew Surman
Marc Pugh
Brad Smith
Adam Federici
Ryan Alsopp
Sam

...I would also wonder about Simon Francis and Charlie Daniels longevity, if chance of a final payday came from another club?

I think Hyndman/Mahoney/Mings and Simpson will form part of our future development...

That leaves a core squad that would need significant expenditure (that we may not have?)

..whatever it will be an interesting summer for the club!

:lovein:

Pretty comprehensive list and agree with all of them .
Also I think Gradel is not up to it and Franno and Charlie definitely winding down .

Who would we bring in ?

Assuming we have funds , two full backs , centre half and a number ten ...

...forgot Gradel who will probably end up at Leeds United I reckon..

i just hope that Eddie can forge the same team spirit with anyone new who comes in, that is our collective strength...not individual 'stars' or anyone looking for a payday with a PL club?

;