England bust-up

northstandmark

UTC Legend
Reports this morning that an argument and physical altercation occurred in the England camp between Raheem Sterling (Man City) and Joe Gomez (Liverpool). It's said Sterling grabbed Gomez by the neck as soon as they saw each other at St Georges Park. Sterling was sent home and has been dropped from the squad.

To his credit Sterling has quickly apologised and said he and Gomez were now "good".

The likes of Gerrard and Lampard have said in recent years that one of the problems we had with the 'golden generation', was players dividing themselves into rival club cliques and not functioning / working together as a team. I desperately hope this highly promising generation doesn't fall into the same trap. Sterling is arguably our best player as well, definitely need him in a good frame of mind.

Hopefully the issue can be nipped in the bud by the FA / Southgate etc.

To be fair to Southgate, if Sterling was genuinely in the wrong, (which by his apology etc suggests he was), then dropping one of your better players for a competitive qualifier is a big call
Im not sure a PL manager in the league would do the same quite as promptly and be so open about it. Good message to all

To be fair to Southgate, if Sterling was genuinely in the wrong, (which by his apology etc suggests he was), then dropping one of your better players for a competitive qualifier is a big call
Im not sure a PL manager in the league would do the same quite as promptly and be so open about it. Good message to all

A long way from the days when Wayne Bridge was forced to retire due to John Terry's misdemeanors.

Or in the Championship. Derby County.

Guess Southgate wanted to make a point about a united squad ?

In the past this incident would have been covered up by the FA saying Sterling had a knock .

Southgate will be too soft .....on these issues...if Sterling is sent home..he stays there....the guy is trouble with a capital C as it stands.
Fame gone to his head. Oik the bugger out.
I decided last year when he got in the 'news'.. to let it ride and support what is without doubt our best player.....but if he cant take a defeat by Liverpool and takes it to handbags off the field in the National dressing room...thats no effing good is it? Its only going to get worse if City continue to falter and Chelsea or Leicester muscle in!

Last edited:
Once a player gets biggetty bigboots..and other players get uptight..,..the sh#t will gather dirt as it rolls...same with Fraser.
Cast em aside and get on with the task...if they climb back down off the shaky pinnacle ..it can get back to a good situation for them eventually but..
Agents are a big big problem in the modern game. If Southgate , Eddie and others dont grab these twats and chuck em up against the stadium wall periodically, rough em up a bit....Clough style....then they will ruin football.

Last edited:
I saw that spat in the Liverpool v City game between the two, it wasn’t anything serious and was probably down to frustration from Sterling as his team were losing.

Thought at the time they were both England ‘buddies’.

Once a player gets biggetty bigboots..and other players get uptight..,..the sh#t will gather dirt as it rolls...same with Fraser.
Cast em aside and get on with the task...if they climb back down off the shaky pinnacle ..it can get back to a good situation for them eventually but..
Agents are a big big problem in the modern game. If Southgate , Eddie and others dont grab these twats and chuck em up against the stadium wall periodically, rough em up a bit....Clough style....then they will ruin football.
I'm pretty sure you said football was already ruined. By money I think it was that time, probably VAR too :p The game is not what it once was, that's for sure.

I completely agree with your sentiments regarding players' agents !!! I pity the poor sods at the football clubs who have to deal with them to be honest. I think I'd just want to punch them in the face, steal their Rolex Oyster and throw them out of the highest window I could find !

I dont think this was about 'biggetty bigboots' at all. Maybe he just cared about losing on Sunday, and if that is the case, we would have loved such passion from an AFCB player

I dont think this was about 'biggetty bigboots' at all. Maybe he just cared about losing on Sunday, and if that is the case, we would have loved such passion from an AFCB player

Yeah ..that too is true!

And the Loser now,
Will be later to win,
The times they are a changin!
And all that.
Football has been a long journey for us Cherries....we have a unique standpoint to view from....most stuff posted is relevant to some degree.

The video footage is clear. The Man city player was in the wrong and the Liverpool player completely blameless...

... that's the VAR decision anyway :bag:

Sky reported that Gomez was in the canteen with some other players and when Sterling walked in they were laughing.Wether it was about him or not they didn't know.This caused Sterling to say,whose the big man now,at which they all laughed again.The players thought it was banter,except Sterling who went to grab Gomez around the neck,which he reacted to,though no physical contact was made.Henderson,who wasn't there as he arrives later,as he is banned for the first game,rang them both up and sorted it,after hearing about it.Thats Sky sports version,not mine

;