European Super League

Just read on another forum a suggestion that they should take their 'blue chip technology' (VAR) with them!

The billionaires that took over our top clubs have no desire for the traditions of the game. They have the right to franchise their clubs and do what they want with them. We opened the door to this scenario when The PL and Champions Leagues were formed...It is our national sport and will remain that even when some clubs go and play in their own World Series competition which will appeal to many but not all...

It just makes it all the more likely that AFCB could become multiple times champions of England ! Bring it on. These modern artificial competitions always struggle for credibility. As long as we can top the EFL or PL ( if it continues ), that is genuinely all I care about.
To be honest, I could never even give a toss about the Champions League either. International competitions should be between national teams and not multinational league clubs where it is just a question of who can afford to assemble the world’s best players under one roof. That really never interested me tbh.

Last edited:
If 6 clubs from the prem have suggested pulling away to form a super league, they should be immediately expelled from the league. So that’s 6 teams gone . They should stick with the 20 team league format, so they should then just promote the top 6 in the championship......oh,will you look at that....

Well well, Gary Neville, you've just gone up a couple of notches in my estimation,
never thought I'd be saying that.

Great to hear him speak so passionately but don’t forget he is also an owner of a L2 club who has ambitions to reach the gold dust of the prem.

"In the meantime, it is worth noting why Europe’s biggest clubs have decided to go now. Barcelona are £1bn in debt and facing one of the biggest financial crises in their history. Real Madrid were unable to afford a single big signing last summer. Juventus
have to find around £100m by the end of June. Internazionale’s owners
sought emergency funding in February.

These are the most lucrative clubs in the most lucrative sport in the world: the sharpest minds, the smartest guys in the room. Are we really to believe that these galaxy brains can work together to organise a breakaway league when they can barely keep a roof over their heads?"

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ootball-can-be-behind-a-european-super-league

Doubt whether anyone can do anything to stop this happening...it may be delayed but is going to be done at some point in the future..those clubs that do will mean nothing to real football fans as they will still support their teams in whatever competition they are in?

the losers will be the fans of the six who will have to go along with it or change their allegiance to other clubs...possible of course with the likes of Everton,West Ham,and Bolton picking up support eventually

Doubt whether anyone can do anything to stop this happening...it may be delayed but is going to be done at some point in the future..those clubs that do will mean nothing to real football fans as they will still support their teams in whatever competition they are in?

the losers will be the fans of the six who will have to go along with it or change their allegiance to other clubs...possible of course with the likes of Everton,West Ham,and Bolton picking up support eventually
Just imagine when it all inevitably goes tits up and the big six come grovelling back to the PL claiming grandfather’s rights to a spot in the league ! The sad thing is they’d probably get it, at the expense of teams who were happy with their lot there all along. I’d send them to the bottom of the pyramid personally, make them play their way back up. The game has been ruined, ruined I say, it’s all about the money.....( now passing the baton to Old Cherry for the sake of my sanity :p)

Last edited:
Another plus is, when they’ve all effed off to the McDonalds Superleague (TM) there will be nobody left exerting pressure on the PL in an attempt to gain or preserve an unfair advantage. For a while at least ( until the next “big six” emerges ) the PL could be a more equitable league to play in with less pandering to placate the “big clubs”.
Again. bring it on, I say !

The UK government could stop it very easily by a windfall tax on TV income for football clubs, with exemptions for clubs affiliated to Football Associations which feed income back into grass roots sports development. If the big six were facing a levy of 85% of their TV income they’d soon come whimpering back.

It would also provide a lever to distribute PL TV income more equitably. Win win.

LOL

I think this will fail quite miserably. I won’t be paying to watch it anyway. As a sideshow to the proper national leagues when nothing else is on, it could garner a few viewers. And then of course the global fanbase of these select few clubs. They’ll pay to see it I’m sure but especially for the english clubs, I’m not sure they’ll be significantly better off than under the current PL deal. Other countries are struggling to give their TV rights away, so I can understand their enthusiasm for it. Certainly it’s a less stable situation they will be entering into at the very least for the english clubs.

I really hope this whole thing falls flat on its face. It really is an attempt to grab some more cash with new rights which they will attempt to sell to the highest bidder, now that the going just got tougher.

For us it can only be a good thing. It may devalue the PL rights somewhat but to be honest the current PL bubble needed bursting anyway. If the PL TV money is less, clubs will cut their cloth accordingly and we might be able to get back to a somewhat sustainable football league.

I just really hope that we don’t let the feckers come straight back to the top tier of english football when it all goes to excrement ! Other than that I’m happy for them to get on with it :wave:

Maybe a split in the club, because I believe Alex Ferguson is a director.

Sir Alex Ferguson has called plans for a breakaway European Super League an end to "70 years of European football history" and said the Champions League finals with Manchester United were the best nights of his career.

Reports on Sunday say United are one of six Premier League clubs to have signed up to the league, which could be confirmed as early as Sunday night and will be a rival to the Champions League.

UEFA and the Premier League have both reacted furiously to the plans, while United are yet to make an official statement and executive vice-chairman Ed Woodwardwas absent from the directors' box for the 3-1 win over Burnley.

But Ferguson has made his feelings clear and he has no desire to see the Champions League ripped up in favour of a new closed-shop Super League.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-utd-european-super-league-20413650

LOL

I think this will fail quite miserably. I won’t be paying to watch it anyway. As a sideshow to the proper national leagues when nothing else is on, it could garner a few viewers. And then of course the global fanbase of these select few clubs. They’ll pay to see it I’m sure but especially for the english clubs, I’m not sure they’ll be significantly better off than under the current PL deal. Other countries are struggling to give their TV rights away, so I can understand their enthusiasm for it. Certainly it’s a less stable situation they will be entering into at the very least for the english clubs.

I really hope this whole thing falls flat on its face. It really is an attempt to grab some more cash with new rights which they will attempt to sell to the highest bidder, now that the going just got tougher.

For us it can only be a good thing. It may devalue the PL rights somewhat but to be honest the current PL bubble needed bursting anyway. If the PL TV money is less, clubs will cut their cloth accordingly and we might be able to get back to a somewhat sustainable football league.

I just really hope that we don’t let the feckers come straight back to the top tier of english football when it all goes to excrement ! Other than that I’m happy for them to get on with it :wave:

P.S.
I have it on good authority that Chelsea only signed up for this to avoid any further beatings from AFCB, the cowards !

The club's or more accurately directors who have signed up to this debacle run the risk of a total implosion. Oh dear, what a shame, nevermind. It may just excise the worst people ever to be involved in our game. They'd fail the "fit and proper" test straight away.

Finding it very hard to keep within the Forum's rules on expletives right now.

;