Fan punches Grealish

Magistrate Alison Fisher said: “We have listened carefully what was said in court today.

”This was an unprovoked assault on a footballer doing his job in front of 23,000 spectators and thousands watching on TV, including families.

“We note that you have taken responsibility for your actions. However, this type of behaviour is totally unacceptable.

”The sentence must act as a punishment and a deterrent to others in order to send a message to the public and fans and players like Mr Grealish who should be protected at all times.

”We have taken into account mitigation and family circumstances, however, we feel your actions deserve a prison term, one for 14 weeks.”

Mitchell has also been banned from attending any football match in UK for 10 years.

He had a look of relief on his face when the sentence came.

He could have faced up to six months in jail.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/live-updates-paul-mitchell-appears-15953653

But ....but...this is Britain......is he not the victim ? !!!!!

Seriously though.....the victim is Birmingham City.....Grealish ..credit to him ..was fired up to get revenge and its Villa now who have an outside chance of the play offs...not Brum. It was an important fixture for Brum......f' ked up by their own Raff !

Read (and understand) the sentencing guidelines for the crime before saying he “got off light”.

It looks to me as though the magistrates have been very clever and given him the absolute maximum they thought they could get away with without giving grounds for an immediate appeal to a possibly lenient Crown Court judge.

Remember Grealish was pretty much uninjured in the assault.

If he had attacked a fellow citizen on a town street in broad daylight, would that garner a 14 week custodial sentence? Would have thought it might have been more. Not even sure what it would get you over here, tbh.

Here in PA I’m not sure what sentence you would get I’m guessing probation as yes it’s an unprovoked attack but a limited one with no injuries. The difference is it was on a sports field and I front of thousands and a deterant is needed. Tbh not much will stop the odd idiot from acting like this sadly

If he had attacked a fellow citizen on a town street in broad daylight, would that garner a 14 week custodial sentence? Would have thought it might have been more. Not even sure what it would get you over here, tbh.

Having seen the 'horrific attack' I'm not sure on the street it would warrant an arrest tbh.

If it resulted in a prosecution it would merit community service or similar.

You can't allow people to go on a football pitch and have a pop at players, but it's not exactly grievous bodily harm with an intent to kill.

Here in PA I’m not sure what sentence you would get I’m guessing probation as yes it’s an unprovoked attack but a limited one with no injuries. The difference is it was on a sports field and I front of thousands and a deterant is needed. Tbh not much will stop the odd idiot from acting like this sadly

Over here they would of put a tyre full of petrol over his head and set fire to it.

Surely Birmingham City must take action against these idiots.

Playing devils advocate can we be totally confident that if someone at Dean Court acted in a similar way that there wouldn't be a small minority cheering?

;