Covid & Football

• Finish the 19/20 season in the summer
  • Scrap the Euros
  • Start the 20/21 season in October
  • Scrap the League Cup (and potentially FA Cup) for 20/21
  • Play midweek fixtures to catch up
scrapping the cups would effect the lower leagues clubs alot. I know with TV money cup runs are not as important but how important was it when the draw was being made that we pulled a top team away just for the money, scrapping the cups could take the chance of survival of some clubs.
I think say the league is scrapped this year no promotion or relegation or top 2 up etc but with tv money say each team would of got 130 mill then that gets dropped to 100 mill and the 600 mill left over gets split between league clubs to help them with the loss of income of rest of season, the season cant really go past end of June due to contracts etc and contract clauses as I think the end of each year(june) is when bonus's and wage increase/decreases are set so if teams dont know what leagues they in they can not fulfill contract? and possibly breach of contract in worst case I am sure most players would hold off bonus's untill games were finished but the door is open for disputes for some people

Silly Cow presenter on Sky News going on about the possible " tremendous financial impact and ramifications for Football".
I wonder what she will think if her mother catches it and dies!
I hope it bankrupts Football totally and we start from Zero!

This season never happened.

The virus in not going to magically go away, particularly in this country where herd immunity is public policy. It's not just the public, it's the players as well. Frankly, unless and until there is a vaccine and treatment I'm not sure when we can play again.

Legally, the PL can do what it wants. In the final vote, well, we have one, teams from the Football League do not. We're not going to be voted down. Worst case there is some nutty judge in Leeds requires the PL to take some clubs from below: although any one of us could win an appeal.

The only other option is playing behind closed doors with players being tested a few days before the match. Treat it like just another injury. Frankly, even if COVID wiped us out would it really be different than most of the year?

Expanding to 22 dilutes the TV money. Can't see that happening.

So Burnley never happened. December never happened. January never happened. Frankly, I could care less about the rest of the League. I'm happy Aston Villa has played one less match - pretty much a guarantee they can't call it a season and send us down. COVID, in the end, may guarantee safety. Absolutely not worth the price, but we were going to stay up anyway. Even if we do resume, it should be with a more or less healthy squad.

Stay safe everyone. Time to selectively watch some past games on the AFCB site. The wins.

But what about contracts? Fraser will be gone, potentially others. An extra 9 games at the start of next season, there would have to be a break, & transfer window, buys & sells very different if we go down.

Wait so is there a summer transfer window or are teams expected to field from a depleted squad? Then another window after the 9 games?

The ONLY option is to scrap the season.

• Finish the 19/20 season in the summer
  • Scrap the Euros
  • Start the 20/21 season in October
  • Scrap the League Cup (and potentially FA Cup) for 20/21
  • Play midweek fixtures to catch up

People will have already purchased tickets for the Euros, and booked hotels and flights

Whilst I agree with you, I think the money involved will stop this from happening

I am sure Liverpool and Leeds fans will understand the need to look at the bigger picture :)
Jurgen Klopp has written an inspirational speech that if cancelling the season all together keeps just one person healthy it’s worth it. Check it out, it’s brilliant.

i grew up despising Liverpool but I must say Klopp is a man that you can’t help but admire for both brand of football and morals.

They will want to try and just delay the season but read there won't be a peak in the virus till May or June so how long do they hold back till?

Whatever they do someone won't like it!

Rumours in Germany that the 2019/20 Bundesliga season could be ended without a national champion.
Top four qualify for Europe.
No teams will be relegated and the 2020/21 season will be played with 22 teams with five to be relegated.
Should the Premier League follow suit?

Rumours in Germany that the 2019/20 Bundesliga season could be ended without a national champion.
Top four qualify for Europe.
No teams will be relegated and the 2020/21 season will be played with 22 teams with five to be relegated.
Should the Premier League follow suit?
Yeah, Neil identified this and I think it is pretty neat. Would probably suggest 4 go down in 2021 and 3 come up, and then same in 2022, so that we ease the way back to 20 teams.

Any talk of next season needs to consider that some theories believe that the peak of this virus will be autumn/winter 20/21 so if we are cancelling now then expect the same, if not worse, next season

Any talk of next season needs to consider that some theories believe that the peak of this virus will be autumn/winter 20/21 so if we are cancelling now then expect the same, if not worse, next season
They're working on the basis the peak will be 10-14 weeks time at the moment

I am sure Liverpool and Leeds fans will understand the need to look at the bigger picture :)

If season scrapped then give title to Liverpool given they are miles ahead. Whilst many will laugh that after 30 years they still miss out but no balanced person would surely begrudge them apart from man Utd and Everton fans.

As for idea West Brom and Leeds should go up, last season Leeds blew what looked a certainty so no one has earned that right yet. Only near-sure thing is Bolton are relegated and we need one more club in football league due to bury. Would bury get a reprieve?

You just increase the Prem league by two for one year. Promote Leeds and West Brom. Scrap playoffs as you can’t play them. Same in other leagues and promote two extra non league sides. Then larger relegation zones the year after to get back to status quo.

Remember this thing is predicted to peak beginning of June. That means 10 fixtures to be played each with players out of contract, stadiums to be policed, European games to be fitted in... fa cup quarters, semis and a final .....it’s not going to happen.

Neil you're such a company man, no disrespect.

If this really turned to **************** I can see you trying to arrange the 'team bonding event' whilst everyone died around you.

4_4_2 formation to suck the boss off.....

You up top on your own.

How could they promote west Brom & Leeds when they haven't completed all their games either? Surely the other championship teams would have something to say about that.
Fulham are 6 points behind with 11 games to go, that could easily be turned around.
Liverpool getting the title is not a big deal, they're miles ahead. But giving the current top 4 the champions league spots is another issue. If this years champions league is cancelled then maybe the same 4 teams as this year? Bar man city of course

You just increase the Prem league by two for one year. Promote Leeds and West Brom. Scrap playoffs as you can’t play them. Same in other leagues and promote two extra non league sides. Then larger relegation zones the year after to get back to status quo.

Remember this thing is predicted to peak beginning of June. That means 10 fixtures to be played each with players out of contract, stadiums to be policed, European games to be fitted in... fa cup quarters, semis and a final .....it’s not going to happen.
Are you on the committee? If this article is accurate, you are eerily close
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...er-League-title-season-ended-coronavirus.html

Silly Cow presenter on Sky News going on about the possible " tremendous financial impact and ramifications for Football".
I wonder what she will think if her mother catches it and dies!
I hope it bankrupts Football totally and we start from Zero!
Yup. All about filthy greed lucre! Plenty of people who know who have reduced immunity to fight sickness.

;