Fernheath Road Playing Fields

One of my first memories of watching Bournemouth and Boscombe play football on a regular basis, at a very early age, was watching the 'A' team play at Fernheath Road Playing Fields, behind the corrugated fencing. It was only a few hundred yards from where I lived at the time, on Bachelor Road, and I remember meeting my grandad, who lived in Hood Crescent, Wallisdown, there on a few occasions.

Does anyone else remember watching games there? (We are talking about the late 1950's). I think the 'Reserves' may have played a few games there as well.

I lived on Maclean Road at the junction with Coleman Road, so yes I am very familiar with those fields. Watched a number of Boscombe games there and I and my Sunday morning team played there on occasion. Miss those times.

I too remember the great days at Fernheath Road, the good teams we had for an A team, Jan Bridle and Terry Mitchell local lads who played with the likes of Bobby Saunders, Jimmy Dixon and Peter Harman, it was a pleasure to watch these games, and makes you realise what is missing from club football these days

One of my first memories of watching Bournemouth and Boscombe play football on a regular basis, at a very early age, was watching the 'A' team play at Fernheath Road Playing Fields, behind the corrugated fencing. It was only a few hundred yards from where I lived at the time, on Bachelor Road, and I remember meeting my grandad, who lived in Hood Crescent, Wallisdown, there on a few occasions.

Does anyone else remember watching games there? (We are talking about the late 1950's). I think the 'Reserves' may have played a few games there as well.

The ground was called the Co-op back then.
I lived just next door in Lydford Road, spent many an hour playing football there in the evenings. The goals were metal back then.
I started playing golf there until Les the parky told me not to. They even put a sign up forbidding it at the side gate along Fernheath Road.

I don't know of any official reserve fixtures being played at Fernheath Road but often the "A" team would be beefed up with reserve players trying to regain form or fitness (or when there was an important Hampshire League match to be won). More common was the other way round - the "A"s would sometimes play at Dean Court if the first team and reserves were both away. The occasional programme from these games pops onto the market now and then.

Attachments

• 611007 Winchester.jpeg
    611007 Winchester.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 20
I too remember the great days at Fernheath Road, the good teams we had for an A team, Jan Bridle and Terry Mitchell local lads who played with the likes of Bobby Saunders, Jimmy Dixon and Peter Harman, it was a pleasure to watch these games, and makes you realise what is missing from club football these days
I remember Jan Bridle when he was plain Jan Illaszewicz. As well as leading the "A" team goalscorers for several seasons, he made a number of reserve appearances, captained Bournemouth Sports Club cricket team and played University soccer for Old Malvernians. He could probably have made the grade as a pro but instead qualified as a solicitor and played football for fun. He joined Christchurch in the late sixties which I think is when he changed his name.

I remember Jan Bridle when he was plain Jan Illaszewicz. As well as leading the "A" team goalscorers for several seasons, he made a number of reserve appearances, captained Bournemouth Sports Club cricket team and played University soccer for Old Malvernians. He could probably have made the grade as a pro but instead qualified as a solicitor and played football for fun. He joined Christchurch in the late sixties which I think is when he changed his name.

I think he's still called Jan, last I heard he was playing walking football. Also wicket keeper for Hampshire over 70s, think he also got called up for England's over 70s cricket team : )

( Reckon he'll be pleased someone remembers him ) : )

The ground was called the Co-op back then.
I lived just next door in Lydford Road, spent many an hour playing football there in the evenings. The goals were metal back then.
I started playing golf there until Les the parky told me not to. They even put a sign up forbidding it at the side gate along Fernheath Road.
My best friend from East Howe School lived at 5A Lydford Road - John Howard. I believe he now lives at Bear Cross. Strange world - smaller than you think it is sometimes!

I worked at the adventure playground in the early 80s. The kids used to refer to it as 'going up the co-op' then.

My best friend from East Howe School lived at 5A Lydford Road - John Howard. I believe he now lives at Bear Cross. Strange world - smaller than you think it is sometimes!

I currently live on Moore Avenue next to the park,50 odd years ago I was born in a house in Cunningham Crescent about two or three houses down from the entrance to the now defunct Heathlands Infant School just a few dozen yards across from the shop parade.I now live 200-250 yards from my birth place.That is a small world .

;