Fernheath Road Playing Fields

I currently live on Moore Avenue next to the park,50 odd years ago I was born in a house in Cunningham Crescent about two or three houses down from the entrance to the now defunct Heathlands Infant School just a few dozen yards across from the shop parade.I now live 200-250 yards from my birth place. That is a small world .
Heathlands - in my day it was called South Kinson Infants School - that is where my education started. Used to walk to Cunningham Crescent shops all the time from home. The bakery there sold penny farthing cakes - rather like sweet bread pudding between two phyllo crusts - just delicious and they cost just that, a penny farthing. Great memories!

I think he's still called Jan, last I heard he was playing walking football. Also wicket keeper for Hampshire over 70s, think he also got called up for England's over 70s cricket team : )

( Reckon he'll be pleased someone remembers him ) : )
At least two of us anyway! Found him in the Malvern school records, it seems he was a house prefect and a champion swimmer as well. Any idea why he changed his name (from Illaszewicz to Bridle I mean)?

At least two of us anyway! Found him in the Malvern school records, it seems he was a house prefect and a champion swimmer as well. Any idea why he changed his name (from Illaszewicz to Bridle I mean)?

As far as I know, his father was a Polish pilot during the war, unfortunately he perished on a raid before Jan was born. I think his mum resorted to her maiden name not long after : )

The Parkstone & Heatherlands Co-Op was quite a large local business organisation set up with stores and milk delivery across the BCP area so I assume Fernheath Road was originally their sports ground. You had Telephone Sports at Pelhams and Bournemouth Water Co at Francis Avenue. Lots of works teams played Bournemouth and Dorset parks football.

The Cherries had a Boscombe B side in the local BFA league.

As far as I know, his father was a Polish pilot during the war, unfortunately he perished on a raid before Jan was born. I think his mum resorted to her maiden name not long after : )

From memory Jan became a solicitor so perhaps a better professional surname?

The Parkstone & Heatherlands Co-Op was quite a large local business organisation set up with stores and milk delivery across the BCP area so I assume Fernheath Road was originally their sports ground.
There is a Spoons in Winton named The Parkstone and Heatherlands.

I grew up in Winton in the 1950's and often went in the Co-op on the corner of Latimer Road with my mum for bits and pieces. Mainly haberdashery- cotton, buttons and material.

My friend and I knew the Giles brothers father. Rex, who played in the Portsmouth Philarmonic Orchestra, through my friends Dad. We often went to Mr Giles flat in Boscombe on Saturday evenings to listen to music. He played us his sons King Crimson album before it had been released and then their next album , In the Wake of Poseidon.

Last edited:
I grew up in Winton in the 1950's and often went in the Co-op on the corner of Latimer Road with my mum for bits and pieces. Mainly haberdashery- cotton, buttons and material.

My friend and I knew the Giles brothers father who played in the Portsmouth Philarmonic Orchestra through my friends Dad.. We often went to Mr Giles flat in Boscombe on Saturday evenings to listen to music. He played us his sons King Crimson album before it had been released and then their next album , In the Wake of Poseidon.

Paul, do you remember John Vincent who was a pretty good footballer who went to Winton boys?

Yes I remember John. He was in my year. Was our centre forward. Had a year or so as an apprentice with the Cherries after Winton. Played in their reserves. No idea what happened to him. We had very good football and rugby teams. I used to go and watch the football team play their games. We used to hammer all comers.

Yes I remember John. He was in my year. Was our centre forward. Had a year or so as an apprentice with the Cherries after Winton. Played in their reserves. No idea what happened to him. We had very good football and rugby teams. I used to go and watch the football team play their games. We used to hammer all comers.

I always wondered what happened to John as he was a standout footballer at school, thanks for the update. I do remember there was a shoe shop on Peters Hill and the owner had two sons, one Gary Smith I believe who was a very good golfer who went to Winton Boys.

In those days we would also watch football at Victoria Park and Cricket down at the Electric Club ,Broadway lane.

Last edited:
That was Vincent Smith's. It's not there anymore and is now a chiropodists.

Gary is a top short game coach with the EGU, having his own Academy and is based at Sutton Green GC in Surrey.

Around our time we had Lee Kerslake who ended up in Uriah Heap.

Paul Rideout the footballer grew up in Oswald Road but don't know if he went to Winton.

About a dozen of our year meet up annually for a meal.

Heathlands - in my day it was called South Kinson Infants School - that is where my education started. Used to walk to Cunningham Crescent shops all the time from home. The bakery there sold penny farthing cakes - rather like sweet bread pudding between two phyllo crusts - just delicious and they cost just that, a penny farthing. Great memories!

Although I lived right next to the South Kinson Junior School, on Batchelor Road (It hadn't been long built and there was a huge hill in the middle between Batchelor Road and Batchelor Crescent), I used to walk to East Howe Infant (Hadow Road) and Junior (Kinson Road) Schools every day down Moorside Road (past my friend Philip Dean's house - funny what you remember, as I have not seen him for nearly 60 years). It was a long walk. I think my mum and dad wanted me to go to East Howe because that is where they both went to school.

John is still around. I have bumped into him a few times when he has been out shopping with his wife at Castlepoint. In fact, it became a bit of a joke between us as I rarely go there, and each time I went last year he was there as well!

Although I lived right next to the South Kinson Junior School, on Batchelor Road (It hadn't been long built and there was a huge hill in the middle between Batchelor Road and Batchelor Crescent), I used to walk to East Howe Infant (Hadow Road) and Junior (Kinson Road) Schools every day down Moorside Road (past my friend Philip Dean's house - funny what you remember, as I have not seen him for nearly 60 years). It was a long walk. I think my mum and dad wanted me to go to East Howe because that is where they both went to school.
Yes it is Audenshaw, I had a friend on Batchelor Road - Steven Chalker - we attended St Philips Church on Sundays. He & I were rather sweet on Hazel Bennett who lived on Pilot Hight Road. Her dad taught music at BSB. Another was Viner - maybe Jim (?), anyway his mother was a dinner lady at E H Seniors and I always got seconds because of it.

;