Financial Fair Play - is this new news?

Solent have just tweeted this as 'Breaking News'

[B]BBC Solent Sport[/B]‏ @[B]solentsport[/B] 3m3 minutes ago
More
The Football League & #AFCB have reached an agreement regarding the club's breach of financial fair play rules in their 2014/15 promotion winning season The EFL say the Cherries did not make any deliberate attempt break the Rules #AFCB have agreed to pay a £4.75M settlement

I am confused, as I thought this had been sorted way back.

Obviously not.

AFC Bournemouth
More
EFL and AFC Bournemouth reach agreement to settle dispute arising out of financial results of the club in 2014/15.

:utc:

Yes it was reported at the time as having been paid, indeed I believe it was itemised on the accounts the following year, and it was a slightly larger number than 4.75m, it was more like 6.5 or 7.

It was reported as being sorted but that could simply be slight misreporting and maybe club had agreed with the EFL not to contest it, a la QPR. Meanwhile they made provision for it in the accounts and it's only now the final sum has been settled.

I hope OHEC are going to get a lot more details on this since it would be great to know exactly what is meant by 'the Cherries did not make any deliberate attempt break the Rules'. Is that vindication that the promotion bonuses and post-promotion but pre financial year end transfers took us over the limit and so simply caused a technical breach or what does it mean?

According to one site I just read:

"A legal challenge regarding the rules from Queen's Park Rangers resulted in a delay over Bournemouth's punishment, but it has now been revealed that the Cherries will pay a fee of £4.75m."

Ok, on COWS:

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/club-and-efl-agree-ffp-settlement

"No further details with regards to the settlement will be released. "

Quite simply... why? Surely this should be an open and transparent process?

Incoming dippy's on social media all wanting a fresh pop at us....
Actually, if anything this should shut them up as the EFL statement saying it wasn't deliberate gives a clearer indication that it wasn't caused by in-season spending. There's no reason for them to say what they said.

I'd lost faith a bit that maybe it was all the promotion bonuses and post-promotion transfers made before the financial year end that caused it but this actually makes it more likely.

Kirsikka.....I admire your positive attitude there........but those wanting to dig at us, won't bother reading the story, they will see the headline only. I bet those over at the Brighton forum will be kicking off, forgetting their own rich owner investing and their huge debt, for starters.

SlowDownDerek

Fans' Favourite
This is terrible PR management of the story. It was done and dusted and now they've apparently decided that the original crime wasn't as bad as first thought - yet here we are with the lead story on multiple formats about AFCB illegally bankrolling their way to the top. It could have been released as "AFCB fine reduced" or released the day after England played but instead they've allowed it to come across as a fresh crime - fuelling the narrative of our dishonest rise to the top. Schoolboy PR.

This is terrible PR management of the story. It was done and dusted and now they've apparently decided that the original crime wasn't as bad as first thought - yet here we are with the lead story on multiple formats about AFCB illegally bankrolling their way to the top. It could have been released as "AFCB fine reduced" or released the day after England played but instead they've allowed it to come across as a fresh crime - fuelling the narrative of our dishonest rise to the top. Schoolboy PR.
Exactly this.