Match report and MOM Fine Clarets Sour Cherries

There are few things more predictable in life. .
The sun will always rise, the moon will always set and Bournemouth will always bring an end to an oppositions bad run....

Remember in seasons past, matches against Newcastle, Sunderland, Hull and Huddersfield...

The team had only 1 change from last week with Surman in for (an injured) Gosling and with the welcome return of Stanislas on the bench. I am sure some like me are wondering what Lewis has to do to get a start in midfield.
The game started in scrappy style but the visitors gradually gained the initiative to keep the normally noisy home crowd silent. For the first 30 minutes , it seemed a matter of time before we broke the deadlock, but when we got into good positions, we took too long to decide what to do, and ultimately took the wrong choice. During this period though, Burnley did prove dangerous on the break and looked sure to take the lead when a ball arrived at the feet of a striker, only for him to get the ball stuck under his feet, delaying his shot which was bundled away

A deflected shot from Ake at the other end looped agonisingly onto the bar via Hart’s outstretched finger tips. This was to be the closest we came all game to scoring. And so it was that after all the possession we had had, 2 minutes of madness essentially decided the contest. Disappointingly, both goals came from opposition crosses from the left back position. I was looking forward to seeing Rico and his early forays forward looked promising, but defensively he was found out. First a cross in caused defensive chaos and after a bit of pinball, the ball fell to Vydra who smashed home. Virtually with the next attack it was 2-0 as a floated cross evaded our defence and was swept in at the far post by Lennon. We huffed and puffed for the rest of the half, seemingly desperate for the whistle.
HT 0-2

Such is our reputation as comeback kings, there was still some optimism at half time that we could still get something out of the game. Nothing had really clicked yet with the front 3 not linking well and particularly Fraser not getting the ball enough. We hoped things would get better.

The Second half started with Rico replaced by Francis and a move to a back 3 with smith and Fraser moved to wing back roles. This immediately enabled the wee man to get on the ball and sporadically, we looked more dangerous. King was unfortunately having an absolute mare. I don’t think anything he tried today came off. Wilson worked hard but never really got a sniff. Brookes had more influence in the 2nd half with some good passing and neat touches on the ball. Real chances were at a premium for the Cherries despite dominance in possession. Lerma drove a powerful shot just over, Brooke’s whipped in some decent balls and we had a number of corners. It was great to see Stanislas back playing, coming on for Wilson. I was surprised it wasn’t King. Stan made a difference with ability to find a pass and showing calmness on the ball. We looked a better team with him in it.

In a final twist, Defoe was brought on for Smith, who had been moved to left back. He sniffed around and nearly turned in a shot past Hart that went the wrong side of the post. Fraser skied a free kick and Stan got closer, forcing a save from Hart.

Pushing up the pitch left us vulnerable at the back, and Burnley exploited this ruthlessly in the closing minutes with Barnes scoring twice to put a final gloss on the score line for the home side.

I couldn’t help thinking of the Leicester players in the tunnel at half time last week. “How are we 3 down?” We were ruthless last week, Burnley were this week.

It’s been a decent start to the season. In Howe’s words, it’s now about how we respond.

Begovic 6 no real chance with goals. Some strange passes to Ake when playing from back.
Rico 5 not above Daniels for me on this showing
Ake 7 some good challenging back and good strength
Cook 6 solid, even though we conceded 4
Smith 6 linked with Brooke’s well at times and was a threat going forward
Fraser 6 quiet 1st half , better 2nd half
Surman 6 tried to keep ball moving
Lerma 6 As Surman
Brookes 6 As Fraser really
Wilson 6 no real chances but kept busy
King 4 this was a bad day at the office for him
Subs
Francis 6 slowed up play when forward. Get crosses in quicker
Stanislas 7 looked class and moved ball well
Defoe 6 no real impact
MOTM - Ake again

Last edited:
Thanks for the report.
Shame about Diego Rico, huge fan of Charlie Daniels but for once I can see a real threat to his role at left back particularly because of Rico's wand of a left foot.
Hopefully, he can improve the defensive part of his game.

Our fullbacks were outdone by their clever wingers which resulted in two of their goals. The chances we missed in the first half led to our downful and as is usually the case we could not breakdown their packed defence. Burnley play the park the bus and hit on the counter tactics, not what I want to watch to be truthful. Our defending was dire.

Watching on TV I thought we started well,although passes were going astray,I thought we had enough of the game to take the lead.
Unfortunately Burnley made the most of their chances,which we didn't.
Even at 2-0 though,I thought we were well in the game,and that if we had got one goal we would've have got another.
Before the game though,I was disappointed to see Surman replace Gosling,and thought that Lewis might have been the better option,as Surman and Lerma are similar type of player,neither drive forward with the ball .
I thought the subs were strange too,Francis again showed he is almost done at this level,King should have made Way instead of Wilson,and taking Smith off was strange as well as I thought he played well..
At one point in the second half we had 71 percent possession,such was our dominance with the ball.
I think if we could have scored early they would have crumbled,but they got the two quick goals and had something to hold on to ,so fair play to them.
Brooks MoM for me,fearless display from one so young,always trying to make things happen .

Brooks show tremendous promise, he is quick enough and has the eye for a decent pass. IMO he needs to bulk out a bit to be less easy to get muscled off the ball.

When the Wee Man arrived he looked a bit heavy, too many pizzas! Now, having worked with the coaching staff, he's turned his bulk into muscle and he's become an excellent player.

I didn’t really think Rico was to blame for the 1st two goals. Yes both crosses game in from that side, but I felt it wasn’t actually him responsible for allowing them to come in.

I suppose the question Eddie would ask is why wasn’t it him nearest to the winger when the cross went in? Maybe a few communication issues with the language barrier?

I didn’t really think Rico was to blame for the 1st two goals. Yes both crosses game in from that side, but I felt it wasn’t actually him responsible for allowing them to come in.

I suppose the question Eddie would ask is why wasn’t it him nearest to the winger when the cross went in? Maybe a few communication issues with the language barrier?
And Smithy ball watched for the first and got caught out of position for the second .

;