Formation changes

3-4-3 will definitely work later in the season v the top 6 as we can defend better than we normally do with 4-4-2, but think we need a change for Villa Saturday. Think we are crying out for Danjuma, Brooks and L Cook to come back ASAP also.
Team vs Villa for me would be
Ramsdale
Smith Mepham Ake Rico
Ibe Lerma Billing Fraser
King Wilson

Solanke on the verge of a start but would keep the faith in King a while longer as we know what he can do, Mepham looked better than Cook saturday and deserves to keep his spot, with Ibe coming in to create us more chances in the 442.
Drop your 11 below :utc:

3-4-3 will definitely work later in the season v the top 6 as we can defend better than we normally do with 4-4-2, but think we need a change for Villa Saturday. Think we are crying out for Danjuma, Brooks and L Cook to come back ASAP also.
Team vs Villa for me would be
Ramsdale
Smith Mepham Ake Rico
Ibe Lerma Billing Fraser
King Wilson

Solanke on the verge of a start but would keep the faith in King a while longer as we know what he can do, Mepham looked better than Cook saturday and deserves to keep his spot, with Ibe coming in to create us more chances in the 442.
Drop your 11 below :utc:

Which Smith have you dropped?

I think we need to break the mould of certain formations being attacking and others being defensive. Currently we play 4-4-2 as our go to attacking system and 3-4-3 as our go to containment system.

It should be possible to go away from home and shut up shop with a 4-4-2 if set up correctly. It should also be possible to play on the front foot and dominate with a 3-4-3 or 4-1-4-1.

I just feel we are a little rigid in our approach. We allow the formation to dictate how the players play. It should be the players dictating how the formation works.

I think we need to break the mould of certain formations being attacking and others being defensive. Currently we play 4-4-2 as our go to attacking system and 3-4-3 as our go to containment system.

It should be possible to go away from home and shut up shop with a 4-4-2 if set up correctly. It should also be possible to play on the front foot and dominate with a 3-4-3 or 4-1-4-1.

I just feel we are a little rigid in our approach. We allow the formation to dictate how the players play. It should be the players dictating how the formation works.

It is.

I think we'd have won that Saturday, if eh had changed it to 4-4-2 at half time. Harry Wilson for Mephan, who is miles behind Steve Cook imo and I would of personally brought on Daniels for Rico. Worrying that eh lets teams get on top of us for a good 10/15 mins, before even considering making a change these days!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we'd have won that Saturday, if eh had changed it to 4-4-2 at half time. Harry Wilson for Mephan, who is miles behind Steve Cooke imo and I would of personally brought on Daniels for Rico. Worrying that eh lets teams get on top of us for a good 10/15 mins, before even considering making a changes these days!
agreed. a bit picky but it should be cook not cooke.

Is that the king who'd scored 42 goals for us?
Yep that’s the one. It’s also the one who has shown very little ability to gel with Wilson or act as a link between attack and defence. What he’s done before is not relevant to the discussion, it’s about what’s best for the team at this moment. Solanke is in the squad to provide a different option I assume? If not there’s not much point in him being here.

Classic example tonight of what I talked about above. Leeds usually play 4-3-3 but switched it to a 3-4-3 as Salford play 2 up front.

Yet in no way has this proved defensive pragmatism. It’s a very attack minded system from Leeds designed to exploit their opponent. Of course this is Championship v L2 so pinch of salt and all that but a good example of teams being fluid with their formations

I think we'd have won that Saturday, if eh had changed it to 4-4-2 at half time. Harry Wilson for Mephan, who is miles behind Steve Cook imo and I would of personally brought on Daniels for Rico. Worrying that eh lets teams get on top of us for a good 10/15 mins, before even considering making a change these days!

I think we would have won Saturday if EH had changed anything after we went 1 up. The lack of changes was baffling. Any, or all 3 of Wilson, King and Fraser needed to come off.

I think h Wilson has to start against
Without brooks we miss a guy with intelligence
As many have pointed out I think you have to go with Wilson or king up top and not both
Good point, we have the perfect system for a fluid attacking 4-2-3-1 with players like danjuma brooks fraser H wilson to open up play with Wilson upfront

;