Freddie Woodman

I think a lot of keepers are going to struggle dealing with WBA's ariel threat tbh.....I certainly don't think Woodman would be any different....as I said at the start of this thread he's nothing special....the conceding the least goals in the Championship stat was very misleading....he also faced the least amount of shots and his save per shot ratio was just average..... Travers will get better the more games he plays and tbf he'd look a lot better at dealing with crosses if our defender's offered him some sort of protection in that area..... it's worth pointing out that we had one of the poorest records in the league at dealing with set pieces last season even with Bego.
Didn’t go on Saturday, but from the commentary bits I heard and from those who went it’s seems Travers did pretty well on the whole … though I do think he could have done better with their goal , it wasn’t far from him and he just pushed it in ….
But the defence were poor defending the free kick to start with ….

Didn’t go on Saturday, but from the commentary bits I heard and from those who went it’s seems Travers did pretty well on the whole … though I do think he could have done better with their goal , it wasn’t far from him and he just pushed it in ….
But the defence were poor defending the free kick to start with ….
Yes for all of his ball playing abilities Kelly just doesn't compete in the air....his attempt at heading that ball clear was feeble.

I love how people always assume that, just because nobody has joined, it means someone's not doing their job properly. Why do you assume Woodman is the only prospect put forward by the scouting team? For all you know we've tried two or three who haven't been released or didn't want to come.
true,but also Parker may think travers can be number 1 and is giving him the game time to.prove it.for all we know this woodman link might just be isles paper talk.

I love how people always assume that, just because nobody has joined, it means someone's not doing their job properly. Why do you assume Woodman is the only prospect put forward by the scouting team? For all you know we've tried two or three who haven't been released or didn't want to come.
But there are players out of contract who have played at this level, and we haven't brought them in, even for back up. Therefore, if they didn't have faith in Travers you would surely bring someone like that in and then send Travers out on loan when you secure your preferred choice by deadline day. Absolutely no point him spending a season on the bench, whatever you think of him.

Everything you say there. Being the boss. Swearing at his defenders when they cock up. Letting them know exactly what he wants. Racing out more and being decisive.

What I took from the original response is some people expect him to come further out and claim more things, discouraging the opposition from putting in crosses within say 8 yards, to reduce the risk from soft goals when defenders lose their man. A fair point if that's the game plan that isn't being executed or fair criticism of the game plan if not.

However, I am not sure I was saying any of those things you listed. I would imagine SP has already told the back four and Travers what he wants and he is the BOSS so if they each support each other and do what they are tasked, communicating clearly, then that's a team pulling together, doesn't need a rogue goalie mouthing off.

In particular, being decisive can just mean quickly assessing that there is no need to race out because he can see his defenders are well placed to make the challenge/clearance. Indecisive generally means start to do one thing, then changing your mind which leaves you in no man's land. I am not sure Travers is guilty of that.

It boils down to peoples preference for all action off his line goalie Vs a stay at home shot stopper. At this level, they all have faults, which makes it easier to be critical.

But there are players out of contract who have played at this level, and we haven't brought them in, even for back up. Therefore, if they didn't have faith in Travers you would surely bring someone like that in and then send Travers out on loan when you secure your preferred choice by deadline day. Absolutely no point him spending a season on the bench, whatever you think of him.
I haven't seen who's on the list of available players, what keepers are currently out of a job? I agree, I wouldn't want Trav on the bench for the season; personally I'd rather we strengthen the spine in front of him and give him the confidence of being our no1

In particular, being decisive can just mean quickly assessing that there is no need to race out because he can see his defenders are well placed to make the challenge/clearance. Indecisive generally means start to do one thing, then changing your mind which leaves you in no man's land. I am not sure Travers is guilty of that.

this is exactly what he was guilty of vs WBA

Travers wasn’t awful against WBA but for me his performance didn’t particularly inspire confidence; admittedly against a very physical and aerial side. I thought he was much more assured against Forest, he seemed to make a more conscious effort to come for crosses, with some top saves sprinkled in too. For a young keeper I also think his distribution is better than average. Not perfect but he made a clearer claim to be No1.

If a ready-made GK will be the difference maker between us going up or not then fair enough, but I do think it would be a shame not to give Travers a proper go for at least the next couple of weeks. He might grow into the role and flourish; if he’s still a bit up and down then he needs to go out on loan, a full season made Ramsdale and will probably make Travers. What I don’t want is for us to be playing him, drop him immediately for someone like Woodman and have him benchwarming for another 40 games.

Travers wasn’t awful against WBA but for me his performance didn’t particularly inspire confidence; admittedly against a very physical and aerial side. I thought he was much more assured against Forest, he seemed to make a more conscious effort to come for crosses, with some top saves sprinkled in too. For a young keeper I also think his distribution is better than average. Not perfect but he made a clearer claim to be No1.

If a ready-made GK will be the difference maker between us going up or not then fair enough, but I do think it would be a shame not to give Travers a proper go for at least the next couple of weeks. He might grow into the role and flourish; if he’s still a bit up and down then he needs to go out on loan, a full season made Ramsdale and will probably make Travers. What I don’t want is for us to be playing him, drop him immediately for someone like Woodman and have him benchwarming for another 40 games.

Good summary.

Shame travers was recalled from Swindon loan last season. Whatever happens, mark needs to get first team games for us or on loan. No doubt though he will become a very good keeper.

inspiring confidence is vital - not for the fans’ benefit but fellow defenders

Sure we had similar debates around Allsop not getting much of a chance after playing very well when promoted from league 1.

Howe brought in camp, and he didn't last long before boruc was signed.

Its a brutal game, only parker and coaches/scouts know how up to it, or close to be up to it (promotion push) he is.

If he's there, great, keep playing him, if we bring in someone better than he's clearly not deemed good enough for our aspirations. I'm not intersted in giving people chances just because they came through the youth system.
Also disagree with giving chances until Xmas, then bringing someone else. That's half the season gone and could be out of the race by then. Every point/3 points count from game 1.

I haven't seen who's on the list of available players, what keepers are currently out of a job? I agree, I wouldn't want Trav on the bench for the season; personally I'd rather we strengthen the spine in front of him and give him the confidence of being our no1
So I assume you are happy to have an even younger keeper as No 2

So I assume you are happy to have an even younger keeper as No 2
Haven't checked today but Nyland was out of contract, as was Blackman having been released from PL teams.

Both an upgrade on Dennis and likely to at least be happy to have a job as number 2 as a minimum. Then Parker can decide on last days of the Window to stick with Travers or sending him out on loan at the same time as getting in someone else. Personally, I would take Nyland as back up if he's up for it, lots of experience but age on his side too.

Haven't checked today but Nyland was out of contract, as was Blackman having been released from PL teams.

Both an upgrade on Dennis and likely to at least be happy to have a job as number 2 as a minimum. Then Parker can decide on last days of the Window to stick with Travers or sending him out on loan at the same time as getting in someone else. Personally, I would take Nyland as back up if he's up for it, lots of experience but age on his side too.

Age? You realise we had Boruc?

;