Freedom in relegation...

Excellent article. For all the wonder of the Premier League my favourite season by far was our Championship winning one. If we do go down I just hope we stabilise in the Championship and don’t plummet through the leagues.

Yeah, encouraging. The point made here and elsewhere about only winning 10-12 games a year really resonates ...... would be fun to be in a situation where every game could go either way.

Exactly the discussion I was having when we went up. Fabulous. Brilliant. All those things. But after a couple of seasons it's about finishing 17th. Or become stoke or West bring ie focus on staying in the top division for it's own sake.

It's just boring.

Reactions: drd
Honestly makes it kind of exciting to see what our youngsters can do. Stacey, Mepham, Cook and Kelly I assume will be our starting back 4 next season which imo looks good enough for the Championship. Assuming we can afford to keep players like Danjuma and Lewis Cook, I think we could be in for quite an exciting year, but who knows.

I met a Pompey fan the other day who is mates with Ritchie and said he wants to move back down south, but I doubt he'd drop a division at the moment.

A lot of FL clubs must be in dire financial straits right now...must be a few useful players out there who we could pick up at a bargain price.

I met a Pompey fan the other day who is mates with Ritchie and said he wants to move back down south, but I doubt he'd drop a division at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that move back down south will take him back to Portsmouth... There was an article a while back where he said he'd love to go back there... maybe finish up there...

I'd love him back here next year, if the inevitable happens and we are a Champ side, but I reckon he'll end up further along the coast than Bournemouth...

"It is only by falling off the cliff edge into the void that they will learn to fly again."

Brilliant!

Totally agree and it is a great article. I’ve stopped enjoying watching us and started missing watching games. That’s only happenned twice before for me... Groves and Quinn.

Another year of this and I would be giving my season ticket out on a semi regular basis.

My irritation with the whole club is we’ve become that club we used to laugh at in the first three seasons up. Scared to attack, sitting deep, no confidence in their own ability.

Im bothered about becoming a football team again, not what division we are in.

Not a bad innings though, brilliant actually, some great memories.
This is almost word for word what I said to my Dad when he was getting annoyed about our probable relegation. Five seasons was a very decent first innings and more than enough to have enjoyed the full PL experience. The last two seasons have been a bit 'meh' to be honest, but I'm still glad we managed the five seasons rather than just three - just in case we never make it to the PL again. A good innings indeed.

What a brilliant article, sums up my feelings completely. Even if we plummet down to league 2, at least we have something to aim for again! It’s so true that the journey is better than the destination. The financial disparity in this league completely ruins it as a competitive spectacle, there will come a time in the not to distant future where every single club in this league will be funded by a multi billionaire owner. The tv money on offer will not even be relevant, we should just be grateful that we got to experience it when it was still attainable.

;