Gary Cahill

KT alluded to the potential that Kelly would probably remain captain even when Cook returns. Perhaps Cook’s face doesn’t fit with Parker.

Can't see how he's better than what we have (even going as far "down" as Zeno).

Maybe it's the traditional Ian Harte, Sylvan Distin sort of signing.

Rossi has been a revelation since he started, I havent seen him make a mistake so far, I certainly wouldnt want him dropped for someone like Cahill. For me, its Kelly who is under pressure right now.

going by last night's commentary I think Tommy Elphick agrees with you! (so do I but I haven't won a Championship)

Seems a strange one but maybe he is cheap enough or maybe he has expressed an interest in becoming a defensive coach at the end of his career.

Maybe Parker thinks having him around the youngsters this season will help their development. He clearly has a plan to improve our defending and maybe Cahill is part of that. It's possible that Parker has agreed in principle to Cahill becoming a defensive coach within the setup once his playing days are over.

Struggling to see the point of signing him otherwise. Surely there has to be some sort of long-term aspect to bringing him here ? We can't be signing him for one season because we are expecting him to be pivotal to our success on the field, surely ?

Seems a strange one but maybe he is cheap enough or maybe he has expressed an interest in becoming a defensive coach at the end of his career.

Maybe Parker thinks having him around the youngsters this season will help their development. He clearly has a plan to improve our defending and maybe Cahill is part of that. It's possible that Parker has agreed in principle to Cahill becoming a defensive coach within the setup once his playing days are over.

Struggling to see the point of signing him otherwise. Surely there has to be some sort of long-term aspect to bringing him here ? We can't be signing him for one season because we are expecting him to be pivotal to our success on the field, surely ?
It is also a very long season
We have 3 for centre backs fit at present and 1 injury or suspension away from having no backups.

I expect he’s going to be on fairly big money and will have been given assurances about game time. Concerning for Cook but also Ibsen Rossi, who looks better than Cargill or Simpson ever did.

Don’t Brighton have something like a 50% sell on clause for Steve Cook? If that’s the case I can’t see him going anywhere other than the Amex. Have they bought anyone to backfill for Ben White?

I don't think this necessarily signals the end of Cookie but possibly the end of any hope of us signing CCV.
KT's last statement that Spurs wanted too much for him sounded pretty final to me. We wanted him but we were not prepared to have our trousers pulled down to get him. A shame for us and the player, who I am sure would have loved to return here. Still, maybe one for next Summer ? He can run his contract down this season and come to us on a free ?

Plus of course working with him on the training ground on a daily basis can only be a benefit to the likes of Kelly, Mepham and Ibsen Rossi.
This is true – sometimes we forget the life of a footballer is 95% spent on the training ground. Cahill would be a great addition in that respect.

This one I don't understand unless S Cook is on the way out.

Or perhaps they have a loan lined up for Ibsen Rossi where he'll get 40+ starts. One year deal for Cahill in the meantime.
With a view to player/coach role perhaps?

;