Gary Cahill

So long as Kelly and Cahill are ok about it, I'd say stay as we are.

It gives us two leaders in the heart of defense.

A slight concern is how frustrated Pearson, another potential captain, got this afternoon.
He was visibly pissed off with being bypassed time and time again as we played out from the back
Really? I thought Pearson was very involved and had a good game.

Thought Cahill showed a lot of class and oozed confidence which seemed to have an impact on Kelly. Think he will be massive for us and will get better game by game. Smithy will enjoy him on the right side of defence and if Smith gets back to his best we get a better version of Brooks. So all about balancing the team.

He's a leader who has won every trophy there is to win and played next to one of the greatest ever John Terry so it's not a surprise. He maybe 35 but you don't find many players who have seen and won it all. Villa fans loved Terry when he stepped down to the Championship.
Expect him to score a few headers from corners aswell.

Doubt Cahill needs an arm band to totally boss the team and take control. Think Kelly stepping up was good but would make sense to have Cahill skipper unless Parker thinks he needs to carefully manage his game load

Thought Cahill showed a lot of class and oozed confidence which seemed to have an impact on Kelly. Think he will be massive for us and will get better game by game. Smithy will enjoy him on the right side of defence and if Smith gets back to his best we get a better version of Brooks. So all about balancing the team.
It's a good point and perhaps it's confirmation bias but I thought that Kelly's passing was a tad more positive today.

Several times I expected a sideways or backward pass but it went to the feet of a midfielder.

Echo what most people have said......his calmness seemed to spread across the defence.......hope he keeps fit for the season......he will then be the first name on the teamsheet....(y)

had a perfect debut yesterday. will be interesting to see how he does against one of the teams that will launch an aerial assault - hopefully brilliantly. thought he was putting a great weight on his passes yesterday, and doing no short passes, which was setting a better tempo for us at the back.

I feel, as things stand, Kelly is growing into this role with every game... He has notably become more vocal and stepped in where needed, between ref and players...

There is a telling quote in that DorsetLive article from Cahill, that having the responsibility of the armband will only accelerate Kelly's progression... I think we've seen that this season already, so why would you want to stifle that, or even reverse that, for the sake of giving it to Cahill, who has had one game with us and whilst he looked very assured, is not the future of this club... He's been there and done it... As AFCBade points out, he clearly doesn't need the armband to perform...

I'm not sure why it's even up for debate? Parker has made his decision to make Kelly (/Cookie) captain. Any change in that would be a real kick in the teeth for those who have already been appointed. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Think back to when Fletch was in and out of the team having to manage his fitness. The armband on the pitch was usually worn by another, but whenever Fletch was playing he gave a natural air of leadership which just added to the side. Similar thing for Cahill I hope.

Jacob T. is going to end up with writers cramp if he continues at this rate!
I'm just desperately hoping that he doesn't get headhunted and end up working for one of the more mainstream media outlets in the big city. If he does then he can leave his brain at home, he won't be needing it there ! :p
Really enjoying his work. Writes well and knows his onions Cherries !
:utc:

;