Gavin Kilkenny

Great news that there's a contract extension too.

Not that I'm an expert but I really like him and think that more game time will allow him to show his true potential.

I think he was quoted as saying he has two more years, so presume this now takes him to the summer of 2025.

Historically you’d make say that Stoke isn’t the most obvious club for a player of his style to join but hopefully it'll be the right move.

Jghq
There is definitely a positive to the loan system but I think it needs looking into. Chelsea have approximately 17,000* players out on loan every season. This is an awful lot of players who may never fulfil their potential as they're moved from club to club and never get to settle and develop. It also enables the big boys to hoard the best young talent on the off chance they might find a gem. I'd like to see a limit of loans out of a club with more competitive U23/reserve leagues drawn up.

*I may have over exaggerated this number for effect.

Just a side effect of the EPPP system. They would still be hoarded by Chelsea just not available for loan by other clubs.

I think he was quoted as saying he has two more years, so presume this now takes him to the summer of 2025.

Historically you’d make say that Stoke isn’t the most obvious club for a player of his style to join but hopefully it'll be the right move.

Michael O’Neill is a good, progressive manager and Kilkenny will slot into the gap left by Joe Allen. If we stay up, Kilkenny may have progressed enough to earn a PL squad/team place next year. Alternatively, if we get relegated, then we’ll have the option to sell Lewis Cook and Gavin Kilkenny will likely step into his place. It is a really smart move for all concerned.

I hope Gavin has a great season (and that we stay up of course).

There is definitely a positive to the loan system but I think it needs looking into. Chelsea have approximately 17,000* players out on loan every season. This is an awful lot of players who may never fulfil their potential as they're moved from club to club and never get to settle and develop. It also enables the big boys to hoard the best young talent on the off chance they might find a gem. I'd like to see a limit of loans out of a club with more competitive U23/reserve leagues drawn up.

*I may have over exaggerated this number for effect.

Yes, it's around 17834 last time I checked mate ;).

But yes, this a great move in theory, a team that could easily be around the playoffs. They have very good players throughout the team.

Fortunately Stoke have moved on from the Pulis era.

Michael O’Neill is a good, progressive manager and Kilkenny will slot into the gap left by Joe Allen. If we stay up, Kilkenny may have progressed enough to earn a PL squad/team place next year. Alternatively, if we get relegated, then we’ll have the option to sell Lewis Cook and Gavin Kilkenny will likely step into his place. It is a really smart move for all concerned.

I hope Gavin has a great season (and that we stay up of course).
Is O’Neill a progressive manager?

Sounds like he did alright yesterday, although unless results change soon I wouldn't be surprised if there's a managerial change at Stoke.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/305361/kilkenny?page=1

'Reminds me of Scott Parker.

MOM today. '

'One of few positives today. Busy, wanted the ball and moved it well. Midfield was non existent when he was nonsensicaly substituted '

'Thought him and Fosu were our best players today.

------------------

And neither of them are our players.

If that’s doesn’t sum up where we are I don’t know what does. '

'Thought he was ok nothing more, every opportunity he had to pass it always went backwards, reminded me of Ryan Woods but can actually run, we missed laurent in the middle. '

;