General sale tickets

Good job we didn't build that new stadium.
That's such a ridiculous statement and you're going on to try and justify it! Obviously, there isn't as much demand there now as when we were in the premier league, that's the nature of the pyramid system and it applies almost every other club.

Why does tickets going to general sale suggest there isn’t surplus demand? I’m sorry but I’m really struggling with this argument. West Brom sold out 15 mins after going to general sale ffs! If that doesn’t scream excess demand that would warrant a bigger stadium then I don’t know what does!

I guess maybe to put it another way, what would it take to convince you the demand is there to warrant a bigger stadium?
Why were tickets not on general sale in the PL?

We are selling out home seats, although watching the WBA game on tv, I was amazed at all the empty seats.
If only we could find a way to accommodate the smaller away attendances ( like Blackpool ) and free up more seats for the home support.
I agree. I must admit I didn’t think Blackpool would bring 800, which is fair enough.
I would imagine Barnsley will bring around the same. It would be good if we could compact them more towards the corner and free up maybe half of the unsold tickets.

I agree. I must admit I didn’t think Blackpool would bring 800, which is fair enough.
I would imagine Barnsley will bring around the same. It would be good if we could compact them more towards the corner and free up maybe half of the unsold tickets.

Due to the concourse, I believe the only option is to actually compact them towards the media seats and then maybe stick some more of ours in the corner and then they share the Ted Mac facilities.

so by the time I got into see the tickets there was 2 available for Barnsley and 4 available for qpr which I couldn't put in my basket (I assume the site hadn't updated) so even though they are going on general sale is it really that many?

so by the time I got into see the tickets there was 2 available for Barnsley and 4 available for qpr which I couldn't put in my basket (I assume the site hadn't updated) so even though they are going on general sale is it really that many?
Probably less than 50. Try Wednesday 15th at 10am and you might have more luck for Luton.

Out of interest, I have bought a ticket for QPR to donate to MacMillan.
My account says "Pending" after paying.
Is that normal?

This again… No one wants to sit on their own and in row A…

Not selling out games doesn’t say anything other than there needs to be more options for fans to get in… Of course there’s demand… it’s just either so hard to get seats grouped together or sh*t seats available that so many are put off to the point they don’t ever bother trying again…

If you build it and all that crap…

NB. Not advocating a new stadium… just a new, bigger Ted shed..

Last edited:
Reading with their mahoosive stadium currently get gates of around half their capacity ,I would say they are a similar sized club to ourselves in terms of football history and level played at.

This again… No one wants to sit on their own and in row A…

Not selling out games doesn’t say anything other than there needs to be more options for fans to get in… Of course there’s demand… it’s just either so hard to get seats grouped together or sh*t seats available that so many are put off to the point they don’t ever bother trying again…

If you build it and all that crap…

I think you're spot on with this. How many times have you seen tickets available for a gig and they're overpriced nose bleeders with no two seats next to each other?

You can't be a 'true fan' unless you master the complex ticketing points system, monitor all the club's media outlets like a hawk to spent the highest amount in the league for a solo ticket at ground level behind the corner flag?

I'd hypothesise you get a straight supply and demand line up to about 80% capacity but as you go beyond that you need greater demand per seat as the appeal of the seat becomes lower as larger groups can't sit together or certain seats are taken up.

In our case where the over-demand has been so high, measures to manage supply have drastically lowered appeal to the point where people don't bother to try and it goes as far as to damage the long term appeal of tickets.

I know this forum is filled with ultras so such a thing is incomprehensible but it's not uncommon to have conversations with more casual fans who say stuff like "I helped out when things were crap and couldn't get to a game in the Premier League and now they want me to jump through hoops to watch them in the Championship"

Last edited:
Not sure I get the logic that if the ground held another 5,000 we wouldn't sell out. We'd have more season ticket holders and less would be put off by constantly falling to get tickets.

If we'd had a 50% higher capacity for the top tier years, we'd have a lot more kids catching the bug at 7 or 8 and could probably guarantee a few thousand more every match for decades to come.

We didn't, so we've arguably lost another generation of pre-teens and teenagers like did after 1990.

As much as a bigger ground would certainly be a huge loss maker for a decade or so, the longer term impacts would in my opinion have been worth it - but it wasn't my money to spend.

Two seats left for both Barnsley and QPR. I remember a time when Saturday / Tuesday matches would see one of the attendances take a big hit. And that was when we didn't charge £32 for entry!

You can't be a 'true fan' unless you master the complex ticketing points system, monitor all the club's media outlets like a hawk to spent the highest amount in the league for a solo ticket at ground level behind the corner flag?

I'm actually going to defend the ticket office on this one. When the Cardiff away tickets dropped to one point I was emailed and was able to buy so I am assuming that all fans on the database get a nudge when they hit the required criteria ?

Re enlarging capacity... we're assuming that we have to sell out... Expanding capacity is not just for the now... It's called future planning... Again with the "If you build it..."

Who cares about having 3/4k empty seats if we've increased the actual bums on seats by 3/4k fans...!!! It's increasing supply immediately and offering even more for the games when we really need it...

You still see lots of kids around in Bournemouth shirts so whilst we 'think' we've missed an opportunity, yes we have, but it hasn't all being missed... So there is still the chance for younger fans to jump on in if they are given an opportunity...

It's not my money to play with but if there is any sort of long-term plan for this club then expanding DC has to be a priority... Even if it's just a slightly larger temporary structure...

I know this forum is filled with ultras so such a thing is incomprehensible but it's not uncommon to have conversations with more casual fans who say stuff like "I helped out when things were crap and couldn't get to a game in the Premier League and now they want me to jump through hoops to watch them in the Championship"

Without a doubt this is true.

It's also not possible to suddenly decide on a Tuesday afternoon that you fancy watching the football and then go along and pay on the gate.
It would be interesting to know if the club has done any form of price elasticity calculations because the high ticket prices would suggest not and the high attendances would suggest that they don't need to!

One point has to be that it is not about selling out, it is about increasing average gates.

So if you add on an extra 10k seats the success measure may be that you get an average increase of say 7k and not that you sell out every week.

I understood that the whole reason that the club won't invest in the current ground is that they won't spend capital on something they don't own and the reason they won't fund a new stadium is that it would saddle the business with a huge external debt. Both of which seem to be reasonable points.

Re enlarging capacity... we're assuming that we have to sell out... Expanding capacity is not just for the now... It's called future planning... Again with the "If you build it..."

Who cares about having 3/4k empty seats if we've increased the actual bums on seats by 3/4k fans...!!! It's increasing supply immediately and offering even more for the games when we really need it...

You still see lots of kids around in Bournemouth shirts so whilst we 'think' we've missed an opportunity, yes we have, but it hasn't all being missed... So there is still the chance for younger fans to jump on in if they are given an opportunity...

It's not my money to play with but if there is any sort of long-term plan for this club then expanding DC has to be a priority... Even if it's just a slightly larger temporary structure...
Spot on, and has been mentioned before on the multiple other threads on this topic. I don’t understand what this obsession is amongst a few on here that unless you can sell out every game in a larger stadium then it’s not worth it. If you ran a restaurant and your tables were full 6 out of 7 nights a week, you wouldn’t think twice about extending. But for some reason a football club has to have sold all tickets for all games 4 weeks in advance and only to those with lots of loyalty points in order for extending to make sense. It’s just completely bonkers logic.

On a different but slightly related topic for those who are interested (I know someone raised the question the other day) , I registered my son on the portal for the first time this morning - now up to supporter number 311k.

Also for those who missed out in the first batch - looks like more Cardiff tickets have been made available.

;