General sale tickets

Short term of course. Which is the crux of it. All the Premier League money flushed in to the club and flushed straight out again to players, agents and other employees.

Long term over 10+ years there has to be some form of financial yield for the club over a few thousand extra people buying tickets, buying stuff in the club shop and concourses etc, then those few thousand get others involved, their families expand and so does the fan base.

You’d also have a football club that’s easier to sell if it had some form of tangible assets and it would be something much more attractive to invest in.

All great but we'd have £60m+ extra debt and not be able to sell all the tickets unless heavily discounted. You'd have to sell a lot of pies to cover the debt.

OK SDD - once more we’re going round in circles. Key consideration - others get the balance (player recruitment/capital investment) more or less right … we can’t seem to. Right now it casts a shadow over the club and makes growth so very difficult. A pity …

Which others? There are plenty of clubs who built new grounds in the last 20 years or so and most of them subsequently went bust or struggled post relegation.

All great but we'd have £60m+ extra debt and not be able to sell all the tickets unless heavily discounted. You'd have to sell a lot of pies to cover the debt.

Short term of course, depending on the size of the development or cost of purchasing the ground and modest increase.

Long term the benefits are there. But as the owners aren’t looking that far in to the future it’s irrelevant.

... It's an age old debate but the crux of everything is not knowing how much DC would be to buy back...

If it was just £15m then I think we'd have done it... Jeff's words were that we were offered a PL forward's purchase price to buy it, and at the time I reckon that would have been anywhere between £20-30m... If that was the case, I can see why they walked away from the table...

Short term of course, depending on the size of the development or cost of purchasing the ground and modest increase.

Long term the benefits are there. But as the owners aren’t looking that far in to the future it’s irrelevant.

The benefits are certainly there but they aren't financial benefits. One way or another it needed a load of cask being written off by someone.

... It's an age old debate but the crux of everything is not knowing how much DC would be to buy back...

If it was just £15m then I think we'd have done it... Jeff's words were that we were offered a PL forward's purchase price to buy it, and at the time I reckon that would have been anywhere between £20-30m... If that was the case, I can see why they walked away from the table...

Tbf even £15m is way way overvalued when you look at a rental value of £400k - £500k. The legacy of the decision to sell the ground is still being felt and has arguably caused all of the current issues.

I think the main point is that you need a willing seller and as I understand it they are quite happy with the return they are getting on their £4m

Yes, bizarre is the word … cos throwing those sums at player fees, wages etc was never going to BUILD the club. What was needed? … sensible combination of player investment with ground improvement. We got some dumb buys (Ibe - glory be!!) and total inaction on DC development.

Not just a sad story but one likely to hang heavy on the club for many years. If we can get back to the PL a radically different approach will be required.
Where would we be if we hadn't spent that money on players?....we wouldn't have been able to generate 80m from selling some of those assets which has enabled us to remain competitive in the Championship.....if we had spent the money on a new stadium before Getting relegated we'd have a squad that would barely survive in this league.... certainly any thought of a promotion push would be a pipe dream......how confident would you be of filling a new stadium if survival or relegation to L1 was our only reality?

Where would we be if we hadn't spent that money on players?....we wouldn't have been able to generate 80m from selling some of those assets which has enabled us to remain competitive in the Championship.....if we had spent the money on a new stadium before Getting relegated we'd have a squad that would barely survive in this league.... certainly any thought of a promotion push would be a pipe dream......how confident would you be of filling a new stadium if survival or relegation to L1 was our only reality?
I know this is the truth....

But I don't like being Tinpot

But I don’t think anyone is asking for a new stadium. Capacity of 15-17k could be achieved through an extended south stand with corners. It would have been cheaper than a Jordan Ibe.

As I said earlier Norwich, Burnley, and Brentford, and I don't think Watford's is anywhere near our record spending of 25m or have someone on 100k a week, they seem to manage quite well and the last time I looked they were all in a higher league than us. They may be able to do in the future, but not without looking after the long-term prospects of their clubs, in my view, these are the type of clubs we should be trying to emulate.

But I don’t think anyone is asking for a new stadium. Capacity of 15-17k could be achieved through an extended south stand with corners. It would have been cheaper than a Jordan Ibe.
It's easy to mention a failed signing when making a comparison to the cost of a new stadium/expansion....you could just as easily say it would have been cheaper than a Nathan Ake.....how long would a 5k expansion take to make a 20m profit?
As mentioned in other posts we don't own the stadium so an expansion wouldn't be possible anyway.

As I said earlier Norwich, Burnley, and Brentford, and I don't think Watford's is anywhere near our record spending of 25m or have someone on 100k a week, they seem to manage quite well and the last time I looked they were all in a higher league than us. They may be able to do in the future, but not without looking after the long-term prospects of their clubs, in my view, these are the type of clubs we should be trying to emulate.
Watford paid 40m for Sarr.....they certainly had a wage bill to rival ours....
Even the likes of Andre Gray is on 80k a week.

It's easy to mention a failed signing when making a comparison to the cost of a new stadium/expansion....you could just as easily say it would have been cheaper than a Nathan Ake.....how long would a 5k expansion take to make a 20m profit?
As mentioned in other posts we don't own the stadium so an expansion wouldn't be possible anyway.
I don’t disagree that financially it doesn’t make much sense short term. I’ve never disputed that. It’s the sad reality of football these days that wages and transfer fees have inflated so much as a result of TV money that it means income from the math day fan is much less significant to football clubs than it used to be.

But it doesn’t mean it’s still not the right thing to do long term for the club, it’s support, and it’s stature. Which it most certainly is.

I’d also ask where you got your information that we couldn’t expand the south stand because we don’t own the ground? If that is the case why did the club go to the bother of drawing up quite detailed plans for a new south stand with filled in corners a few years back? Do you know something that the AFCB board don’t?

Watford paid 40m for Sarr.....they certainly had a wage bill to rival ours....
Even the likes of Andre Gray is on 80k a week.
You may be right but they have a capacity of over 20k, as the other three prove it can be done, I think Burnley and Norwich have just updated their academies.

I don’t disagree that financially it doesn’t make much sense short term. I’ve never disputed that. It’s the sad reality of football these days that wages and transfer fees have inflated so much as a result of TV money that it means income from the math day fan is much less significant to football clubs than it used to be.

But it doesn’t mean it’s still not the right thing to do long term for the club, it’s support, and it’s stature. Which it most certainly is.

I’d also ask where you got your information that we couldn’t expand the south stand because we don’t own the ground? If that is the case why did the club go to the bother of drawing up quite detailed plans for a new south stand with filled in corners a few years back? Do you know something that the AFCB board don’t?
I'd imagine that we made those plans whilst still living in hope of buying the stadium.....who in their right mind is going to spend that money on something we don't own?

It's not true about the South stand. You don't have to own a property to expand it you just need permission from the landlord. I can't see any landlord refusing permission for expansion because although they couldn't legally charge rent on improvements it certainly improves their bargaining position in future negotiations.

Not to mention that the club do actually own the South stand land so it's a moot point anyway.

;