Gillyhoof want our help

Tiptop, we can throw in a 24 foot Bessacarr and perhaps a Jordon Ibe.

They might want to do it on turnover mind.

Scally has been taking £200k a year out of the club for 'consultancy services'. I've no idea how many of these clubs are being run and the PL are probably wondering the same before the cash gets splashed.

I would love us to give Gillingham Defoe's Wages.( as long as THEY use it wisely)...even though I don't like them!

Scally is talking of all lower league clubs..not just his own!

The principle of giving the lower league clubs some of the PL tv money is an excellent one. The problem is the lower leagues contain enough unscrupulous owners there's a significant chance it would disappear into their pockets at certain clubs.

For example, check the Northampton Town stadium issue. Not sure about their current owners so I'm not singling them out, just showing what can happen when a large cash injection happens at some places. There are other clubs but it's probably best not to mention them specifically.

If there was a way to ensure the money was used exclusively for football and non director staff pay maybe, but I suspect it would be opening a minefield to police.

Moreover, given the unedifying and unending appetite to dominate the game in this country from the top six, I'm sure they'd use it as some kind of leverage to later force through either B teams in the lower leagues or letting them take over smaller clubs as feeder clubs.

You also have to add in the fact that there will be a reckoning with the tv companies yet to come. Clubs in the PL have budgeted and given out contracts based on that circa £130 million tv money but that isn't all going to arrive. The season hasn't been completed and the chances of it being completed in full before the next one are slim to marginal.

Wisely, Sky and BT are just quietly letting subscribers pause their subscriptions at the moment. Now isn't the time to start quibbling with the clubs. It'll come though and the chances are the clubs will lose a big chunk of cash. Not to mention the same issue with sponsors, corporate box clients and so on.

A bit like getting a big pay rise and buying a bigger house, whilst the take home may look huge to others the outgoings close to account for it all. Take a big hit to that wage and you may be in just as much trouble as someone in a small house on a smaller wage.

Plus, it's Gillingham.

Redistributing a bit of TV cash to help clubs in the third and fourth divisions is not a bad idea.

Giving even a penny to Gillingham, however, is far too much.

Didn't Scally once call Bournemouth fans "Scum", for cheering when Hessenthaler was stretchered off in a match? - Hessanthaler was attempting to stamp on Defoe's leg, missed, caught his studs in the pitch and broke his leg.

In the real world, businesses try and set aside enough reserves to keep running for three months to mitigate exactly the kind of risk we're seeing today.

I doubt whether even Premier League clubs have actually done that. Ever.
Well AFCB have exhausted their reserves years ago. So no hope for us then.

We are currently haemorrhaging over £2m a week without football in wages, I doubt we'll be giving anything away to lower leagues any time soon unfortunately.

Last edited:
So, he wants all PL clubs to stump up 2.5 mil each to help, when their wage bill is £400k.

48 clubs in L1and L2, over £1mil to each club.......jog on sir

Ah....a month...he can still jog on

In the real world, businesses try and set aside enough reserves to keep running for three months to mitigate exactly the kind of risk we're seeing today.

I doubt whether even Premier League clubs have actually done that. Ever.

In the real world most people should have at least 3 months worth of living expenses saved for when the inevitable crash in the economic cycle arrives.

Apparently a very high % don;t.

;