Good news thread

First time I saw Osprey’s was at Loch Garten.

A pair of wild Ospreys have hatched young at a secret nest site in Poole Harbour, which is the first to hatch in southern Britain for 200 years. The successful hatching is a result of an Osprey reintroduction program that’s being carried out by Dorset based charity Birds of Poole Harbour and conservation organisation the Roy Dennis Wildlife Foundation.

https://www.birdsofpooleharbour.co....-the-first-in-southern-britain-for-200-years/

Have seen Ospreys from the hide at Upton Country Park , great to see them .

We have a small lake within the grounds of my workplace and a few months back I sat and watched a pair of Ospreys swoop down and catch fish from it , circling around twice then flying off with them … very impressive site .

We have a small lake within the grounds of my workplace and a few months back I sat and watched a pair of Ospreys swoop down and catch fish from it , circling around twice then flying off with them … very impressive site .

Amazing I'd love to see that! I've still never seen an Osprey but 3 weeks ago I was on Brownsea Island and was lucky enough to see a Roseate Tern from one of the hides. Only 111 pairs in the UK.

Up above ‘Eddie Howe’ country in the beautiful area of Northumberland, visited Kielder Forest today, Kielder Water is the largest man-made lake in northern Europe and is capable of holding 200 billion litres of water. It has a shoreline of 27 miles and is 170 feet at its deepest point (taller than Nelson’s Column). Following many years of planning it was built at a cost of £167million and was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen in 1982.

They had an Osprey Watch there and live webcam on big screens, mother had two chicks we saw. The nest is the size of a double bed on a platform.

There was a map showing the flight of an Osprey coming back to the UK. The bird had flown from below Mauritania and Mali to avoid the sands storms over the Sahara Desert, it had flown two days without food until it reached Benidorm.

If you ever get a chance it is a really nice area to visit with rolling hills and switchback roads, sheep everywhere but in fields. We had rain showers on and off. No crowds and it was a weekend.

Off to Holy Island tomorrow and Lindisfarne.

In a few days will be moving down to a place called Barnard’s Castle for an eye test. ;)

https://www.visitkielder.com/about-us/how-it-all-works

http://www.visitkielder.com/play/discover/kielder-ospreys

https://images.visitkielder.com/downloads/kielder-osprey-facts.pdf

Last edited:
Seen any Kingfishers this year?

went down to the sang adjacent to the training ground site last night - never seen so many kingfishers - the place was awash with them! the spot to go is just when you enter the sang, down the slope, then turn right just after the footbridge - there is a nice bench on the corner of the river - great spot for birdies

Last edited:
went down to the sang adjacent to the training ground site last night - never seen so many kingfishers - the place was awash with them! the spot to go is just when you enter the sang, down the slope, then turn right before the footbridge - there is a nice bench on the corner of the river - great spot for birdies
In the bird world I always think the Kingfishers are in The Premiership.

Ive been swimming regularly at Fishermans Walk for 10 years, never seen a dolphin from the shore let alone when in the water. Today, was lucky enough to be in whilst a pod went by the other way, clearly visible as they were just outside the yellow 6knot marker buoys (photo courtesy of a random beach walker) . Thankfully a friend on the shore was screaming at me to stop swimming and look outwards, otherwise I would have missed them
Dolphins.jpg

Is it a dolphin or a porpoise?
When I was young porpoises were very common sights in the bay and the Solent and we regularly saw whole schools of them passing by - easy to spot because of their fins.

;