Half time booing...

Garbo - 27/2/2018 07:45

...do the majority of players actually care about the fans?

we saw Stanislas react poorly to him being barracked...we hear Francis bemoaning fans support...Boruc in the past has shown disgust at the crowd, as has Arter...

Let's not kid ourselves shall we?

Booing is part of the game....we should get over it, most people can let off steam at matches and whilst it isn't great to hear booing it just means that many are upset at the way the team is performing and want to get that message to them?

Does it really matter that we are in The PL? a poor performance is the same in any league match

It's not about the player's feelings - sod the players. It's about making it less likely for the team to win.

I've worked all week too and I want to watch the cherries win. These booers are making that less likely because they can't handle themselves.

Try justify it all you like but it's sh*t support and it's a stitch up for people that manage to keep a lid on it.

NWCherries98 - 27/2/2018 08:38

Don't have a problem with booing at halftime, as long as the home fans have done their part. Which we hadn't, and as long as we as fans at least try and support the players at the start of the second half, which we didn't. The players dragged themselves back into despite the fans.

Excellent summary. We weren't much of a "12th Man" at all.

...my god so much feeling about this subject!

AFCB have never (well since the early 70's)....had that real passionate feel for me in general apart from a few spikes in important home matches and in away games...so at least booing is showing some feelings!

I recall the days of cushions raining down on players from the main stand...nowadays they want to think that they are lucky that they never had to encounter that !

Booing isn’t what you would call ‘ constructive critisism ‘ but I guess some people like to show thier emotions good and bad . Personally I wouldn’t boo but it was a strange performance first half and I was left thinking what an Earth was going on. There was an air about the players that didn’t seem quite right.
As fans we can make a good noise but I think we aren’t great at boosting the team when it’s not going well.
Having said that we are no different from the majority of clubs I would say.

Which is worse? Booing at half time or the collective groans everytime we take a short corner or play from the back?

I'm sure most people would say its the booing. The thing is, as long as fans only boo at half time or the end of the match, its not really affecting events on the pitch. However, since the players are instructed by management to play a corner or goal kick short, understandable as it might be, the collective groans and grumbles of the crowd is only going to make the players more nervous and more likely to make a mistake.

Where I would definitely draw the line is booing during the match itself and especially verbally abusing players which is unforgivable in my opinion.

NornIron - 27/2/2018 12:19

Don't have a problem with booing at halftime, as long as the home fans have done their part. Which we hadn't, and as long as we as fans at least try and support the players at the start of the second half, which we didn't. The players dragged themselves back into despite the fans.

How do you expect the crowd to react to players just about jogging around the pitch barely putting in a challenge, muscled off the ball without a token effort?

I was sat on the sofa watching through my fingers out of embarrassment. It simply wasn't good enough.

Silent AFCB - 27/2/2018 11:46

NornIron - 27/2/2018 12:19

How do you expect the crowd to react to players just about jogging around the pitch barely putting in a challenge, muscled off the ball without a token effort?

It didn't help that they had a shocker up at Huddersfield, looking knackered and devoid of effort and energy, got rightly well beaten but came out afterwards saying how they'd analysed what went wrong and would put it right against Newcastle. And then played like that first half, exactly the same basically. I went up to Huddersfield, got over it, but took my North Stand seat expecting at least a reaction in energy levels of sorts....

There's definitely an argument to say we're spoilt these days. And also that the atmosphere at our home games is too often flat. Us fans could definitely do better in vocal levels at home at times.

I'm not one for booing although I'm certain I've been guilty of it in the past. Another vote for quietly cussing arms folded here. I wasn't exactly going to enthusiastically cheer them off.

It would be better received by all of us if/when the quality level was variable, mistakes we can all understand and back the team through. It's just when effort levels appear variable that really gets fans backs up.

Yet for some reason come ~ the 75th minute, our side seemed to find an extra gear or three of effort? Looked a totally different set of players! Mental? Physical? Who knows.

It probably hasn't helped that in general, home performances haven't been particularly stellar this season. Losses against Watford and Burnley, and needing to recover from deficits against Brighton, Stoke, West Ham and now Newcastle have all contributed to the general atmosphere.

However I don't think you should ever boo your own team.

I would love to know what all the posters complaining about sh*t support actually do at the match to create this cauldron of noise they expect to appear from thin air .im willing to bet not a single one of you have ever started a chant(apart from Gary).
The truth is the atmosphere is created by a bunch of kids at the back of the North who ironically are the ones that are most likely to be booing at halftime .

I think the though on this as nor been particularly helpful are in the majority here... I do agree that we, as. fanbase, are not great in getting behind the team when the going is tough, be that by our own making or not...

In short, fans', whoever they are, want to see effort and a performance... We at DC, are not the fanbase for players loafing around and not trying... For all his shortcomings, Grabbs put in a lot of effort across the back 4, and Wilson does this also in abundance... It's what fans like to see...

Something has changed in our play this season, which has resulted in a lot of disjointed performances... Even winning has seemed uncomfortable at times... This air of frustration I think is beginning to boil over now... Its not about where we are, and in what league... Its about not being very good at what we're trying to do, when we know we can be better... Or can we...?

I just don't get the jeering of our keepers/outfield players when they screw up, and the booing at half/full times... Just walk away, don't applause substitutes, just stay quiet if you cant do anything positive...

wallmth - 27/2/2018 14:01

The truth is the atmosphere is created by a bunch of kids at the back of the North who ironically are the ones that are most likely to be booing at halftime .

Or they get moved to the South Stand and told to be quiet :thumsd:

...there is no Utopian world where everybody acts and is the same (thank god)...we may not all agree, which we never will, but saying that any of us are s**t supporters is wide of the mark. We all care and have different tolerances...football is about noise,passion,clenching of fists,stamping one's feet,swearing,letting off steam, and generally having opinions of good and bad play...lack of effort...disrespecting of all and sundry...

If you can't stand the melting pot of attending games and being surrounded by others who are different to you then give it up and don't worry about it..

I love the environment at games and providing no one around is openly racist or sexist then carry on I say...if you want too hiss,boo,chant, holler or rant go ahead with my blessings!

Here's hoping that the boys will return to the type of play and results that will make all this talk about booing redundant. That said, this newbie has found it most enlightening. Thanks.

No - It is sh*t support. I'm not excusing myself from criticism either - I don't boo but I'm hardly Noddy Holder when the team are crap.

My point is that people should take responsibility for their role in a bad performance - if you are booing YOU are part of why the team are struggling. If you aren't singing YOU aren't doing everything you can to help the team win. It's easier said than done to be a brilliant supporter but let's face it, if you are booing, it's not GOOD support is it?

SlowDownDerek - 27/2/2018 15:39

No - It is sh*t support. I'm not excusing myself from criticism either - I don't boo but I'm hardly Noddy Holder when the team are crap.

My point is that people should take responsibility for their role in a bad performance - if you are booing YOU are part of why the team are struggling. If you aren't singing YOU aren't doing everything you can to help the team win. It's easier said than done to be a brilliant supporter but let's face it, if you are booing, it's not GOOD support is it?

What if you're booing your own fans for their lack of support?

What a pile of cr@p from SDD. If the fans are supportive and the team lose, or the fans boo and they win, where does the blame lie? The booing occurred on Saturday when, sorry, AFTER, the team had gone 0-2 down. They came out in the second half and got a draw.

I'd an absolute idiot to suggest therefore that the booing played any part in the comeback.

Stop being so sanctimonious about being a 'better' supporter.

Another thought occurred to me while I was out washing the car .....

Do we care how we look to the outside world? Probably was a time where there was very little TV spotlight on AFCB. Now, Cherries have a national viewing audience (well, international in fact in my case). Do we look ungrateful, or even clueless, by castigating the team, and many of the players, who took us to the PL? I know that the team cannot dine out on its earlier successes forever, but it seems soon to turn on them. I know, not everyone, but even the few. Would anyone want to be aligned with some of the displays that we saw earlier this year re Hughes, Wenger, etc.

Or am I missing the boat and it is as Garbo said all part of the deal

Btw, sorry about the car washing line, couldn't resist.

RobTrent - 27/2/2018 19:27

What a pile of cr@p from SDD. If the fans are supportive and the team lose, or the fans boo and they win, where does the blame lie? The booing occurred on Saturday when, sorry, AFTER, the team had gone 0-2 down. They came out in the second half and got a draw.

I'd an absolute idiot to suggest therefore that the booing played any part in the comeback.

Stop being so sanctimonious about being a 'better' supporter.

I'm always being accused of being sanctimonious but in my defence on this occasion I did say I was part of the sh*t support. When Gary comes on here and slags the fans off after some depressing away game where the fans have been silent for 90 minutes you and I both know he's right. Sh*t support. That very much includes me.

I don't know why we are supposed to tiptoe around these booers' feelings. I understand why they felt like booing but It's sh*t support plain and simple. If they can't handle being criticised for it should they really be booing in the first place?

Are there worse people than those who dish it but can't take it?

Notice you didn't really attempt to answer my questions regarding your assertion that booing plays a direct (negative) role in the teams performance.

I didn't boo Saturday, nor after Huddersfield (even though I felt like it). But I understand why some people did and have no problem with them doing so.

Similarly if people give players stick then its fair enough when they get it back.

I don't see anyone 'dishing it but not taking it' though. I think thats a bit of your imagination running away with you. Its called debate!

;