Half time booing...

unbelievable reaction to a few boos at half time in a game where the team had been pathetic

there were no boos during the first 45 minutes near me at the back of the ns, but if people are that angry at a total lack of effort and bottle, having been outfought for a full 90 the previous match during a spanking at huddersfield which smacked of complacency at having the job done, then same as cheers, applause and congratulations when the performance is good, players need to take the rough with the smooth a bit more and stop crying about it

as SJL (I think) said - we’re some of the least demanding and tolerant fans in the country, applauding and cheering the team off the pitch countless times when we’ve lost but when the team have given everything, so if a few boos gave one or two of the players a kick up the backside and they got the message to up their game and pull their fingers out, then so be it

RobTrent - 27/2/2018 20:16

Notice you didn't really attempt to answer my questions regarding your assertion that booing plays a direct (negative) role in the teams performance.

I didn't boo Saturday, nor after Huddersfield (even though I felt like it). But I understand why some people did and have no problem with them doing so.

Similarly if people give players stick then its fair enough when they get it back.

I don't see anyone 'dishing it but not taking it' though. I think thats a bit of your imagination running away with you. Its called debate!

I know I have a tendency to come across as OTT with criticism so I should stress that I don't think we're talking about the crime of the century here or that these are necessarily bad supporters - but I do think it's stupid to boo your own team unless you are trying to get the manager out.

To answer your question yes I do think it affects a team's performance negatively. I think EH knows this hence why there is a piece in the echo after every occasion where the fans have slightly turned on the players. Usually it's Eddie saying how brilliant the fans are and how us keeping behind the team is crucial to our success. Always done in a way to massage sensitive fans' egos but a clear message all the same. This time they've wheeled Franno out to do it but it's the same message.

My view is that EH genuinely believes that fan negativity can set in and spread and ultimately sink any side.

The suggestion that I shouldn't criticise booers because they have a right to express their feelings - of course they do but surely if you're a booer you have to expect criticism for it. If not you're dishing it out but not taking it.

I've deliberately changed sh*t support to poor support in this post to satisfy those that think I'm being too harsh on the poor booers (although I do still think it's sh*t support :thumbsup: )

SlowDownDerek - 27/2/2018 00:35

afcb_rednblack - 26/2/2018 23:12

Nothing wrong with booing whatsoever. I booed constantly in December, and I did so in front of my granchildren who were with me in order to set an example.

Mind you, we were at the Panto at the time.

As for booing players, never.

Tbh booing is too good for some of the idiots I've seen at the Pavilion in the last couple of years.

Five minutes we were shouting at these fools that a ghost was sneaking up behind them and it was almost as if they were deliberately looking in the wrong direction. They basically got picked off one-by-one in the end. No sympathy from me.

Well what a coincidence SDD, I experienced exactly the same scenario! I can’t believe that theatre producers are so stupid as to employ idiots like this.

Of course, anyone with a modicum of common sense would have read the script so would have known that ghosts were going to appear! Tut, some people, eh?

You are all Great supporters who have been through all the bad years and got us where we are beating Arsenal, Everton, Chelsea, giant clubs, in a six week period!!! Stanislas has one petulant moment( he's given us a few euphoric ones too!) All these posts have points worth noting, coming from a desire to give the best support we can! Those attending DC could get a bit louder and Eddie needs to sort out the players reactions : If you look at the other clubs there are lots of 'fans' like Arsenal and ManU who are far unhappier with certain players than we are with ours! I can imagine the efforts from the Arsenal/Chelsea wins etc taking some energy from players that were in Div One 3 or 4 years back, resulting in the Huddersfield / Newcastle performances, but that's Eddies problem and we just need to carry on hoping for more of those better results and giving support to match. None of us are ' better' than any other and we all say things that seem strange to others at times( sometimes I look at my own posts two weeks later and can't believe what I wrote!) Basically its just how football fires emotions..

BillM - thought that was a great post and should have been the last word. But now EH has spoken:

"Howe admitted conceding Dwight Gayle’s second goal on the stroke of the interval had led to a “difficult atmosphere around the ground”, adding that the backing from fans in the second half had played a part in the comeback.

He told the Daily Echo: “We didn’t give the supporters much to cheer during the first half. It was a flat performance.

"We know, as a group, we needed to perform better and were equally frustrated with ourselves.

“I would never encourage negativity during the game because you need players to play in an environment where they feel totally confident and free to express themselves.

“I think we should all try to support each other through whatever period we are experiencing. Trying to create an environment where we are as one and fighting together as a team has always been one of our core strengths.

"The supporters showed just how important they can be in the final 20 minutes. When we equalised, the noise and feel totally changed and the players responded to it superbly.

“Managing expectations is – and will be in the future – a challenge.""

Clearly the booing got everyone's attention and I do hope that Eddie's words will be heard. Last I looked it was UTCIAD, not "UTCIAD but only until you do something to p*ss me off".

Btw - my words are not directed to the group on this forum, because as Bill said everyone is a Great supporter, and of that there is no doubt. And, there are definitely some clubs where the atmosphere is toxic, which is not AFCB.

G'Night, all.

yesyescherry - 27/2/2018 20:29

unbelievable reaction to a few boos at half time in a game where the team had been pathetic

there were no boos during the first 45 minutes near me at the back of the ns, but if people are that angry at a total lack of effort and bottle, having been outfought for a full 90 the previous match during a spanking at huddersfield which smacked of complacency at having the job done, then same as cheers, applause and congratulations when the performance is good, players need to take the rough with the smooth a bit more and stop crying about it

as SJL (I think) said - we’re some of the least demanding and tolerant fans in the country, applauding and cheering the team off the pitch countless times when we’ve lost but when the team have given everything, so if a few boos gave one or two of the players a kick up the backside and they got the message to up their game and pull their fingers out, then so be it

The first half wasn’t pathetic. Credit to Newcastle for doing a job on us. Defending for their goals was pathetic of course. Most of that team give 100% effort. There are bad days of course and booing players is pretty pointless imho.

The team needs to put 100% effort from the kick off & attack teams not wait till we are loosing the game & chase it in the last 20 mins .if they had played the first half like they played the last 20 min we would have easily won the game and Dean Court would have been rocking for 94 mins.Youve got to earn vocal support by intensity. :afcb:

I boo whenever I try and buy tickets on the afcb web-site, wot a pile of crap

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Reading lost again last night leaving them hovering just above the Championship relegation zone, with a home gate of 6000, and a manager everyone wants gone.

We are spoilt.

...we are spoilt, so let's just accept whatever happens and however we play no matter what the results!

...not quite sure that is how this football supporting thing works?

Booing is sometimes understandable [ not something I've ever done during a game though ] but those doing it do need to realise it's hardly going to help the situation. It just creates more tension for everyone - fellow supporters get wound up and we all fall out about it....!....and more importantly, as Eddie states, it definitely can affect the team too. If we were just a kick and lump it team, it may not matter as the skills needed are more basic. The way we try and play though, relies on the team playing with confidence.

If our flair players suddenly feel the crowd will get on their backs, if they try a risky pass to dissect their defence and it doesn't come off....they will stop trying. If the likes of Ibe feels he can't risk running at defenders in case he is robbed and the crowd will boo him, he will stop trying. The whole game plan can suddenly go tumbling and we don't win the game.

So we all really need as many fans on board, even on this tricky situations. Yes, the team needs to give us something to shout for of course....but I bet, if the crowd was noisy and backed them from the start, they would work through any dodgy periods quicker.

Most of that team give 100% effort.

Another home performance where AFCB were outworked by the opposition, no movement off the ball, no tempo on the ball, Shelvey strolling around in acres of space. Seemed to be more a problem with mentality than physical effort. The pre match promises of making good the previous match didn't help with the fans expectations .

We have all had a bit of a rant, some generalising, some constructive,some bitchy ones where you get the impression that two or more posters just don't like each other, and then the last one from Davygravy, the best one yet I reckon and if we just go with his take I think we are on a winner for club,Eddie and Jason, players and fans!

BillMcgarrycherry - 28/2/2018 10:53

We have all had a bit of a rant, some generalising, some constructive,some bitchy ones where you get the impression that two or more posters just don't like each other, and then the last one from Davygravy, the best one yet I reckon and if we just go with his take I think we are on a winner for club,Eddie and Jason, players and fans!

I come up with stuff occasionally!

:afcb:

The team shouldn't have to start games at the maximum level of intensity to get the crowd behind them. As we saw in the first two seasons, fast start to a game inevitably results in fading towards the end of games. Over the past few weeks we've seen in most matches we are finishing much stronger than our opponents and been rewarded for it.

I do think there is an arguement we've gone too much the other way. However, you can't just put our slow starts down to a lack of effort or intensity. Most of the time its just sloppy mistakes which the crowd pounce on. If we cut out the mistakes, I'm sure the crowd would have no problem with a more controlled start to a match before we up the intensity as our opponents tire.

I can remember the team being booed off plenty of times at HT when were weren't Premier league, so why is it such a crime now to let the team know the crowd are not happy with the the performance, surely they are not too delicate to upset now we are in the big time!

;