Half time booing...

SteveJonesLegend

Fans' Favourite
... I have to admit, I've not heard booing like that at DC for some time... Seemed to be quite loud and coming from most areas of the ground...

Interesting to hear Franno describe it as "surprising and disappointing", due to the run we've been on of late...

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/16047085.Simon_Francis_urges_Cherries_fans_to_stay_off_the_boos/?ref=fbpg

Personally I didn't boo and don't think I ever would as I don't agree with it, along with openly berating players... I don't see it as really helping anything. However, I 100% understand why fans did it on Saturday, and maybe deserved, on the back of the Huddersfield performance as well...

Maybe Franno doesn't understand that it wasn't the scoreline that was the issue, whilst hard to take, but fans want to see a performance... The first 70 mins were nothing short of diabolical...

We're all a fickle bunch, and players should understand that... Only took 20 mins, and some marginally better play, and the crowd got up again... Once we had 1 goal in the net, we were always going to get something out of it...
:crazy:

The answer is complete silence as they walk off.

No clapping, nothing.

Would have the same effect, but it would be hard for anyone to complain about it.

Franno saying he was surprised and disappointed that we didn't applaud them off at half time would just sound stupid.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 26/2/2018 13:43

No clapping, nothing.

It seemed like there was complete silence and no clapping for the first 70 mins............I afraid we are a reactive crowd, rather than proactive.

I think standing in silence with arms folded is better than booing. Although I did feel booing at the end of the Huddersfield game.
Booing is childish imo and I would never do it as I don't think it helps
I think it booing can affect some players confidence.

If you were sat near me, you might have heard a very audible “oh sh_ _” as I tripped over my crutches and went AOT on the stairs at half time.

The peripheral sounds thereafter blurred into zilcho as far as I was concerned.

corfe_red - 26/2/2018 16:51

Ken Baileys Ghost - 26/2/2018 13:43

No clapping, nothing.

It seemed like there was complete silence and no clapping for the first 70 mins............I afraid we are a reactive crowd, rather than proactive.

Which crowd isn't? I'm sorry but the first halves have been unacceptable recently, especially after a jolly away to Portugal.

This "run" we've been on, other than Chelsea, which have we actually been good in?

corfe_red - 26/2/2018 13:51

Can't agree more. It was as if at 2-0 down all hope was lost and it was a personal punishment to have to sit there in the cold. The crowd really had given up. How many points have we won lately from losing positions? We've shown a lot these last few seasons that we can go a goal (or two!) behind and still get something.

In our promotion season there was a belief that no matter what, we believed we could get a result. Seems like the yo-yo form we have more recently has shattered belief.

Look at the big yellow south stand bear. Early second half he/she/it was doing that twirly-arms-come-on-make-some-noise motion thingy that Steve Cook does and it got zero response. two goals later he/she/it was getting totally mugged by two lads who ran down the stairs just to jump all over it in joy.

Despite our 'decent run', for whatever reason this year, we've not clicked in the vast majority of games... This is our 3rd year in the PL now and I think fans' expectations are rightly becoming a little more than just scrapping it out in the bottom 3...

Obviously. we cant compete still with around 50% of the PL, on a week-by-week basis, but there are teams, that I do actually think, we 'should' be beating these days... Huddersfield away was always going to be tough but the performance and result was 'disappointing'... Newcastle Utd, at home, is a game we 'should' be winning and with our ability, the fans have /had every right to think we would win it...

I don't condone booing but the players 'must' have known they were sh*t in that half... I think we're quite a tolerant bunch here at DC, but there are times when that gets pushed to the limit... The players have to give the fans 'something' to cheer about...

NornIron - 26/2/2018 14:36

corfe_red - 26/2/2018 13:51

Can't agree more. It was as if at 2-0 down all hope was lost and it was a personal punishment to have to sit there in the cold. The crowd really had given up. How many points have we won lately from losing positions? We've shown a lot these last few seasons that we can go a goal (or two!) behind and still get something.

In our promotion season there was a belief that no matter what, we believed we could get a result. Seems like the yo-yo form we have more recently has shattered belief.

Look at the big yellow south stand bear. Early second half he/she/it was doing that twirly-arms-come-on-make-some-noise motion thingy that Steve Cook does and it got zero response. two goals later he/she/it was getting totally mugged by two lads who ran down the stairs just to jump all over it in joy.

According to BBC we have gained 13 points this year from games when we have been behind

EH also knew they were sh.t in the first half. He would have heard the booing and wouldn't have liked it. He knew he had to change it and that's why he subbed Daniels. Putting Smith on gave us more pace and aggression, but as we all know King and Wilson just don't fit together, and with Stan playing like his hand gestures to the crowd it was hard work..
still don't agree with booing and won't ever do it but people pay a lot of money and expect 100% effort.

Not sure how many of you read Cherry Chimes but today's article is 100% spot on. I am a JCL that would pay a goodly sum to get a ticket to DC, and sure I would be disappointed if things didn't go our way. But we are on the threshold of a fourth PL season. Unthinkable just a few years ago. At times like these, I think about Billy Joel: "These are the times to remember, 'cause they will not last forever, these are the days to hold on to." If in doubt, boo-ers should take another look at the 2015 Anything is Possible video. It will help to re-calibrate expectations.

Toronto John - 26/2/2018 15:17

Not sure how many of you read Cherry Chimes but today's article is 100% spot on. I am a JCL that would pay a goodly sum to get a ticket to DC, and sure I would be disappointed if things didn't go our way. But we are on the threshold of a fourth PL season. Unthinkable just a few years ago. At times like these, I think about Billy Joel: "These are the times to remember, 'cause they will not last forever, these are the days to hold on to." If in doubt, boo-ers should take another look at the 2015 Anything is Possible video. It will help to re-calibrate expectations.
:110:

Toronto John - 26/2/2018 15:17

Agree,
good viewing on a cold evening
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUIJC4SR7mA

never fails to bring a lump to the throat.

...sometimes the team cant have it both ways?...they are rightly lauded when they do well and cheered off rapturously....if you feel that the performance is totally inept and lacking basic effort in some areas then you have a right to show your dissent.

These guys aren't paid peanuts and should grow some co-hones if they get upset by fans reactions...they need to know when a performance is not acceptable to the masses that are watching them as a collective.

I personally won't boo or show my disgust outwardly but defend the right of others to do so..

Next you'll be telling me Eddie shouldn't be reading them the riot act at HT to get them off their arses and make right the game?

I think a lot of it comes due to the level we're now playing at.

Once upon a time it was enough to see the players at least trying and giving it their all.

As long as they were trying to do the right things you gave them patience. They were often young, inexperienced etc etc trying to find their way in the lower leagues.

For the first couple of seasons we were also clearly punching above our weight with that same squad.

But now we are sometimes talking about full blown internationals on more money per month than most of us will earn in 5 years. It's just simply harder to accept the individual errors.

Anyone has the right to boo, call nasty names, flip the bird to the players etc. Yes they do. But do they not then forfeit their right to call themselves "supporters"? Funny old kind of support, that.

As always, I defer to you lifelong fans, I am the new guy. But, from my view on the couch last Saturday, I rewound the moments following the first half because I couldn't believe what I thought I heard. At the time, I ascribed it to Huddersfield, the two-week wait for redemption, and the unexpected second Newcastle goal. But still, not cool.

Of course everyone has the right to boo but what good does it do? I can't think many people in that ground were pleased about the performance but the bottom line is that booing makes it more difficult for the team to put it right - it's hardly going to improve their nerves, motivation, passion to do it for the supporters.

Do these booers feel better after booing? Genuine question. We're all pissed off - players, booers, non-booers, management, cherry bear, etc.

Players and fans were collectively dreadful for the majority of the game on Saturday. Booers and non-booers included.

..alternatively...if the players don't like it, then they might want to avoid it in future games by at least putting the effort in more effectively?

;