Half way. Good season or not ?

More than half way to our best points tally for a PL season.
Brooks and Lerma proving to be good signings, Fraser having his best season so far.
11 points ahead of the relegation places. Weren't we in or just above the relegation zone this time last year?

Some frustrations so far, definitely - Burnley and Newcastle away both spring to mind - but no reason to think we won't be comfortably anticipating a 5th season in the premier league and I am happy with that after 30-odd seasons of mostly mediocrity.

So we had the easiest first quarter of the season of any Premier league Club and people were talking about the Europe League. We've had the hardest second quarter of the season and now people are starting to worry about relegation.

Neither are going to happen.
Minty always worries about relegation. He needs to see his doctor.

Points don’t lie. It’s been a great season so far.

Very different in that generally we have become better at winning the games we should and worse at winning the games we shouldn’t. This is because we are more of a composed football side and less of a blood and thunder gung ho side so don’t surprise anymore but are more efficient.

The second half is going to be interesting because the first half of the season was two distinct quarters largely down to the fixture list!

I don’t think any of us know which quarter is us. We are about to find out though. I can’t call it.

Points don’t lie. It’s been a great season so far.

Very different in that generally we have become better at winning the games we should and worse at winning the games we shouldn’t. This is because we are more of a composed football side and less of a blood and thunder gung ho side so don’t surprise anymore but are more efficient.

The second half is going to be interesting because the first half of the season was two distinct quarters largely down to the fixture list!

I don’t think any of us know which quarter is us. We are about to find out though. I can’t call it.

Second half of the season could be a mirror reflection of the first half.

Final 9 games there’s a great chance of 15+ points.

Second half of the season could be a mirror reflection of the first half.

Final 9 games there’s a great chance of 15+ points.

Looks like others have changed their minds from what they’ve posted previously on this thread.

Still think we’ve got a good chance of about 15 points from final 9 games.

Good season, but have lessons been learnt ? Far too open away from home, don't make it difficult to play against, need to be a little less gunho IMO.......still the table will not lie, 40+ points will be a good haul.

I think it depends on whether you go to away games or not. A lot of fans just go to home matches so will have seen some great performances and we are unbeaten against non top 6 sides plus had a right go at arsenal Man Utd and Chelsea.

Away from home it has been painful. Some great wins early on. Injuries have played a big part but I was really disgusted with the defensive displays last night vs arsenal plus spurs and Burnley. We had a go in defeats at Newcastle wolves and Everton but left with a very disappointed feeling that we have tossed points away. Thus not great away.

I think we will get another 12 - 14 points. Season was going fine until injuries hit and boy have they hit hard. all started with Smiths injury at Newcastle and it has knocked the team ethic with continual changes. Also the injuries have coincided with our very demanding schedule of big 6 games.
Am I happy with 34 points from 28 games - yes.
Will I be happy with 34 points from 28 games next season - yes
etc etc.

Our results and performances against the top 6 have been the worst since we gained promotion.

P.10. W.1. D.0. L.9. F.9. A.30. P. 3.

Whilst our performances against the othe 13 clubs have been encouraging, the above statistics against the top 6, must be far and away the worst of the 13 other club.
Every pre season, EH has stated his commitment to perform better against top 6, but this season's results have been depressing and somewhat embarrassing.

By any stretch of the imagination 26 points at half way is excellent.
I don't expect us to repeat that in the second half simply because of the appalling run of injuries.
I think we have progressed from last season but it is a relentlessly hard league to get any points. Our squad strength on paper looks good but it is how we operate as a unit rather than the individual talents on the bench that is the clue to our success. that is why the loss of old time stalwarts like Smith, Francis and Gosling hits us hard. To lose a playmaker like Cook as well is tough to take.
the sooner smith and Gosling get back the better.

looked up what I said back in December. Think I was pretty near the mark, except the injuries have got worse..

Something that bothers me...lets assume that Lerma is a key player ...most will agree...
But if each time he gets his accumulation booking bans it adds to the many changes Eddie is having to make...we are going to get more embarrassing bazookerings by Arsenal/Spurs etc with their players who just basically ignore our weaker midfields when they break at pace......Lacazzette was drowning in dribble on the bench at the prospect of nabbing the forthcoming gift...which he shyly accepted shortly after coming on!!
So is Lerma a liability in the Big Picture? We need some ever- present types like Steve Cook especially while players like him and Smith get injuries. I thought Lerma was going fill that role.
Ake and Gosling are having to carry the burden of the missing players and frequent changes and look knackered!

Last edited:
Something that bothers me...lets assume that Lerma is a key player ...most will agree...
But if each time he gets his accumulation booking bans it adds to the many changes Eddie is having to make...we are going to get more embarrassing bazookerings by Arsenal/Spurs etc with their players who just basically ignore our weaker midfields when they break at pace......Lacazzette was drowning in dribble on the bench at the prospect of nabbing the forthcoming gift...which he shyly accepted shortly after coming on!!
So is Lerma a liability in the Big Picture? We need some ever- present types like Steve Cook especially while players like him and Smith get injuries. I thought Lerma was going fill that role.
Ake and Gosling are having to carry the burden of the missing players and frequent changes and look knackered!

Perhaps if others in the midfield stepped up to the duties of tracking runners, making tackles, and getting in the opposition's face a bit, it wouldn't all be left to Lerma and he wouldn't be left alone to incur the ire of the ref.

Or we need to sign more depth in that area. There's only so long Surman can even vaguely cut it being 33 in August. Gosling has another 2-3 years at his current level, whether you consider that level to be good enough or not.

But then others have said he wont be so effective if he lays off his usual tackling....which is what we needed after Arter left...its a difficult which way puzzle I'd say.......

I'm an optimist

We're still in 12th place even having completed 11 of the 12 "big 6"(TM) matches and also having played Wolves twice

It's a good season

Doesn't stop me being very peed off at the appalling away form, though....

;