Have we improved?

It’s been a bit turgid.

Wilson has been very poor.

Need to shell out a fair bit in midfield and defence.

Ake or Cook go we will struggle.

An interesting response from Eddie last night to a question about how the team has progressed. He inferred that some players had gone backwards in their progression/development. I wonder what the summer will bring in terms of in's and out's.

Have we improved? 50/50 for me - we have looked much more hard to beat than previous seasons but we are not as exciting to watch as before due to that.
I don't agree with that Newcastle fan....!....this season has been tougher than last season for sure. The top four have been better than they were last year for sure, even if Utd are dull to watch at times. From Burnley downwards, lots of teams that are not far apart in terms of squads and quality. This means it's harder to win games and easier to lose them. Every point at this level is hard fought, for every club, even those that play against us.
We are better than some fans seem to think, even if we are not *quite* as good as we would all like us to be. Every team is wary of playing us, as they know we have pace in the team. Listen to managers and independent pundits and fans....we have respect across the division for being a decent team and I think we can overlook this at times.

Without question this has been the hardest, highest quality PL in our 3 seasons.

In our first season we beat the current champions away from home and drew both matches with league winners. And talking of Newcastle, how crap were they at St James's in our away game that season.

Last season 2 of the 3 promoted sides were very weak along with dismal Sunderland.

When you look at where Sunderland, Coventry, Pompey ,N Forest and Derby are and the fruitless efforts of Leeds( all bigger in histories and ground size than us) you just have to be enjoying this immensely! We played some attractive stuff in the last two games against two elite, huge, expensive squads. I'm even losing my temper in the pub now if we don't score against these sides and we get carp decisions -instead of shrugging it off - that's where we are and giving hope to Accrington /Fleetwood etc- oh yes, they think they can- because of AFCB and the Eddie/Jason miracle! 4th Premier League season after a Boro fan predicted we would not even amass even 10 points in that first season! Half of that squad still playing this week!

I personally would give King the last 3 games up top, EH keeps persisting with Wilson through, but I think it's about time he sat out a few games (I know Defoe played against Liverpool, perhaps Wilson can't play 3 games in a week) as he doesn't seem to be adding much at the moment.

I may have missed someone else's post on this, and if so, apologies, but we did seem to get much better (once again) when Lys came on. Definitely showing improvement in my view, could use a few pounds to be stronger still on the ball.

Mousset an unknown quantity to a lot of teams and against United he showed a turn of pace to get to the box and get a flick in which I think went out for a corner. Not scared to shoot either.

Interesting reading the comments re Wilson on different threads and then this to the comment from Eddie and Paul Scholes on Wilson on the video on VAR thread (about 10 minutes in). Eddie was pleased with Wilson last night and Scholes said Wilson gave their back two problems all night.

So differing views, from some of the fans to the professionals.

...Need to shell out a fair bit in midfield and defence.
Ake or Cook go we will struggle.

Yes to both of those sentences.

While Lewis and Ake clearly lift us, a fading Francis, Arter, Pugh and, to a lesser degree, Daniels are becoming a drag on us.

King has stagnated and not shown the blistering form of last season, Callum's working hard but not delivering, Defoe doesn't really fit our style and Ibe is inconsistent.

And what we wouldn't we do for a fit Stanislas!

After years of saying it, defence really has to be the priority though. RB, LB and CB all needed (especially if Eddie isn't serious about using Mings or Simpson).

My fear is that stubborn Eddie will change little.

I'm dreading hearing the phrase ' I don't feel l can take this squad any further' coming from Eddie - don't think it's his style but it can be influenced by events and people who pull the financial strings! Or is it a no-brainer as a matter of course or time? Or will affairs' Russian' have any bearing? Don't really like to think on those lines but I expect most of us do at some point.

All aboard for the Leicester game tonight! Radios tuned!

Strange comment from Saints fan today(security man in Morrisons)- Some of us are hoping Vardy can put us out of our misery and bring us closer to a Pompey knucklefest!
My reply-" How lovely! As a Cherry I don't really understand much about Derby rivalry ,no one wants one with us !
They are bloody well obsessed with Pompey at the expense of their status! Weird people!

Last edited:
Here we go.We’ve lost 2 games in a row against 2 of the biggest clubs in the country & the oracles come out in force!

Whether we’ve improved or not,I see every season we survive in the top flight as an achievement.Get a grip some of you,we’re AFC Bournemouth in the Premiership for Christ sake!

I believe outside of the top 6 this season,the rest of the league is of a similar standard,with next season probably being the same.

Mini article in The Times today as an addition to the match report Eddie needs to replace his League 1 players. He must have copied and pasted from here.

An interesting response from Eddie last night to a question about how the team has progressed. He inferred that some players had gone backwards in their progression/development. I wonder what the summer will bring in terms of in's and out's.

He needs to come on here and say that so West Moors Cherry and Red House can tell him he is wrong.

Ignore results as these can be influenced by luck and refs etc. Think performances. How many great 90 minutes performances this season. How many in the two previous seasons. Do this exercise properly and then come back and say we are stronger.

He also said he thought the team had progressed this season.

He needs to come on here and say that so West Moors Cherry and Red House can tell him he is wrong.

Ignore results as these can be influenced by luck and refs etc. Think performances. How many great 90 minutes performances this season. How many in the two previous seasons. Do this exercise properly and then come back and say we are stronger.

We're not stronger. We won't get stronger every year - we're just off the back of four record finishes in a row. To expect this every year is unrealistic. We are also safe, which was the only aim at the start of the season. It will be the only aim next season too.

Does it matter if we are stronger?

;