He's gone

Whew. Well it's going to take a loooooong time to come to terms with this one, isn't it? I can't believe the second era of Eddie has come and gone and I am quite heartbroken. It only felt like yesterday when we were all chatting on here in excited and hushed tones about his potential return and it was almost 8 years ago.

I probably didn't do myself any favours by telling my wife this evening that I haven't felt like this since my previous marriage ended, but the point I was trying to make to her and the point I'm trying to make here was that Eddie's return was so many things: he took us to unimagined heights, he also found it hard to unlock potential in a squad that to date remains unfulfilled, some of his decision making was confusing and we all knew it was going to end sooner rather than later, but were we ready for it to end when it did? Of course not, and although I can categorically state that this too will pass, we still have a long road ahead to work through the grief we are feeling right now.

We can speculate until the cows come home. My gut feeling is that things in Eddie's personal life weren't quite right and he did this for his own peace of mind. He probably also knew that regardless of whether we stayed up or not, it was just going to be more of the same and that maybe a rot had set in that he couldn't do anything about this time. I think we've all been in those situations right? I know I have, when you continue to show up and do the job you've been asked to do in good faith but for whatever reason, the conditions no longer permit you to transcend yourself and your circumstances.

I was reading about Juventus winning Serie A the other day and realised I didn't know that much about Maurizio Sarri so I boffed up on his career. I had no idea he spent around 20 years in the non and lower leagues of Italy getting hired and sacked in equal measure before the planets began to align for him. And even then he couldn't make things work for him at Chelsea. My point here, his career has been a long one. In many respects Eddie is just getting started, it just so happens that he rose so quickly and with the club he loves that it masked how it had become a taxing and problematic task for him. This can't have been an easy decision to make by any stretch, but for him it was necessary and I applaud him for it and for everything he has ever done for us.

I never, ever thought I would ever live to see us compete at the highest level in English football and I am incredibly grateful my time on earth happened to coincide with it.

Whether Eddie Howe walked out or was pushed out, as a decision it makes sense either way.

I've been in his shoes, trying to run something and it just not working out, week after week. It's quite destructive of the self-esteem, and I'm sure when Howe saw Aké's injury he must have felt that everything was against him. It's such a relief when it is finally all over, and you can take a break or look for a new situation.

From the board perspective, sports tells us that someone managing the kind of dreadful season that the Cherries experienced in 2019/20 is probably eminently sackable, and 'normal' fans might even expect it -- for the board to show they care. The fact that it didn't happen just shows how much faith everyone had that something would come right, a real demonstration of what we all thought of Howe's ability. And then it's all over, and you can second-guess whether a different manager who'd taken over after Christmas might have kept the club up.

I'm not sure when the new season starts, and certainly the club has to think more about sales than new acquisitions, but if the 2020/21 season starts in early October the board had better move fast on finding a replacement. The players are clearly going to need someone who will give them focus immediately, and that's a special character. Interviews and discussions are liable to take weeks.

In other words, I have talked myself into seeing this as a blunder for the club. Continuity in this scenario is probably of great value. They should have moved Heaven and Earth to keep Howe, because otherwise the man-management issue is likely insurmountable in terms of getting back up straightaway -- unless you're starting with a largely new set of players who aren't scarred by the relegation fight. (Which could be the case.)

Gutted but not surprised, disappointing to see criticism of various parties when nobody knows the full details, but I Guess that’s a natural outpour of emotion from losing our illustrious leader.

EH owes us nothing, what a journey it’s been, sure he’s made mistakes along the way and perhaps more in the last year or two which came home to roost in the form of relegation, the premier league is certainly not as forgiving as the lower leagues - but he took us to a level we never dreamed and now we need to hope that Max and Jeff act in a manner that secures the future of our Football club whilst delivering some of the off field improvements that go hand in hand with that - along with the memories this will be Eddie’s legacy.

As far as new managers go, it goes without saying we need someone who plays “the Bournemouth way” but with the turnover in paying squad that seems on the cards I think we need someone with a good knowledge of the lower leagues but whom also has premier league connections so we can get the pick of the loans as they become available....will we be ambitious enough for Chris Hughton who has a great record in getting out of this division?
If not I think we can rule Paul Cook out as a contender so I’ve warmed to the idea of Lee Johnson, who was happy playing youngsters like Kelly and secured loans like Tam Abraham (let’s ignore Tomlin and Afobe as loans for now :) )as well.

One final thought, one of the criticisms aimed at Eddie was that he took responsibility for too much - keeping JT on at least offers continuity and might not be such a bad idea to fashion out a director of Football type role for him at least in the short to medium term to ensure we can transition from such a centralised model to something more “modern”.

Surely if you love the club and accept that you are the best man for the job, the things you mention shouldn’t be an issue. You do the best with what you’ve got for the club you love, surely ? If you walk away in that situation it smacks of self interest IMO.
What is wrong in him having self interest? He is not a charity he is a professional football manager plotting a career like everyone else. We can’t say we didn’t get our moneys worth with him.

If he has sat in a meeting and heard that to survive we will be selling our best players and cancelling training ground plans then what’s the point in sticking around.

I’ve blamed Eddie stronger than most for the relegation that shouldn’t have happenned but I wouldn’t blame him at all for walking away from that situation and even if he does turn up at Bristol City tomorrow it doesn’t diminish everything he has done for us.

He has earned a period of self interest for his last decade.

Whew. Well it's going to take a loooooong time to come to terms with this one, isn't it? I can't believe the second era of Eddie has come and gone and I am quite heartbroken. It only felt like yesterday when we were all chatting on here in excited and hushed tones about his potential return and it was almost 8 years ago.

I probably didn't do myself any favours by telling my wife this evening that I haven't felt like this since my previous marriage ended, but the point I was trying to make to her and the point I'm trying to make here was that Eddie's return was so many things: he took us to unimagined heights, he also found it hard to unlock potential in a squad that to date remains unfulfilled, some of his decision making was confusing and we all knew it was going to end sooner rather than later, but were we ready for it to end when it did? Of course not, and although I can categorically state that this too will pass, we still have a long road ahead to work through the grief we are feeling right now.

We can speculate until the cows come home. My gut feeling is that things in Eddie's personal life weren't quite right and he did this for his own peace of mind. He probably also knew that regardless of whether we stayed up or not, it was just going to be more of the same and that maybe a rot had set in that he couldn't do anything about this time. I think we've all been in those situations right? I know I have, when you continue to show up and do the job you've been asked to do in good faith but for whatever reason, the conditions no longer permit you to transcend yourself and your circumstances.

I was reading about Juventus winning Serie A the other day and realised I didn't know that much about Maurizio Sarri so I boffed up on his career. I had no idea he spent around 20 years in the non and lower leagues of Italy getting hired and sacked in equal measure before the planets began to align for him. And even then he couldn't make things work for him at Chelsea. My point here, his career has been a long one. In many respects Eddie is just getting started, it just so happens that he rose so quickly and with the club he loves that it masked how it had become a taxing and problematic task for him. This can't have been an easy decision to make by any stretch, but for him it was necessary and I applaud him for it and for everything he has ever done for us.

I never, ever thought I would ever live to see us compete at the highest level in English football and I am incredibly grateful my time on earth happened to coincide with it.

rock stars have wives?! :confused:

:utc:

SimilarAppropriateFurseal-small.gif

Just a thought, that probably won't go down well at present.

Before lockdown from November onward it became apparent that there was trouble in paradise, Fraser, a prime example, and others who will remain nameless seemed to be giving way less than 100%.

I for one was shattered when we didn't show up after lockdown, Palace, Newcastle, winnable games where we were pathetic.

The question is, were the Leicester, City and Everton games matches that we did well despite Eddie and Jason?

We may never know; but something was very very wrong at AFCB for those last few months.

Surely if you love the club and accept that you are the best man for the job, the things you mention shouldn’t be an issue. You do the best with what you’ve got for the club you love, surely ? If you walk away in that situation it smacks of self interest IMO.
Clueless post. Plus clueless Oiler’s of this post

What is wrong in him having self interest? He is not a charity he is a professional football manager plotting a career like everyone else. We can’t say we didn’t get our moneys worth with him.

If he has sat in a meeting and heard that to survive we will be selling our best players and cancelling training ground plans then what’s the point in sticking around.

I’ve blamed Eddie stronger than most for the relegation that shouldn’t have happenned but I wouldn’t blame him at all for walking away from that situation and even if he does turn up at Bristol City tomorrow it doesn’t diminish everything he has done for us.

He has earned a period of self interest for his last decade.
I’m just not sure how that sits with supposedly loving the club as much as we do though. It would make those statements seem like lip service and not very genuine. Time will tell but right now it feels as though this time when the going got tough, Eddie got going.

;